Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top 30 IIHS safety picks. None from Tesla

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla did not nominate any cars because they would not win. The Model 3 and X have not been fully tested. The Model S was tested and did not score well in headlights or the partial overlap test.

Something change in 2018? 2017 TESLA MODEL X P100D SUV AWD

I do see that Model S is somehow not tested by NHTSA, or no results anyway - how is that possible and the car be on sale?

Model 3 however is top notch Tesla Model 3 crushes NHTSA's crash testing with a 5-star rating - Roadshow

FYI insurance tests are available for S 2017 Tesla Model S FWIW

• Informative
Reactions: 1375mlm
The IIHS claim to fame has always been with regards to accident costs. This focus is due to the IIHS being paid for by insurance companies and the type of data they analyze (provided, naturally, by the insurance companies.)

I don't care enough about this report card to delve into the details of how they grade a car but if cost of accident is part of the grade then no one should be surprised that Tesla is not going to be a star. In fact, it would follow that luxury cars in general are not at the top of the list.

The IIHS claim to fame has always been with regards to accident costs. This focus is due to the IIHS being paid for by insurance companies and the type of data they analyze (provided, naturally, by the insurance companies.)

I don't care enough about this report card to delve into the details of how they grade a car but if cost of accident is part of the grade then no one should be surprised that Tesla is not going to be a star. In fact, it would follow that luxury cars in general are not at the top of the list.

cost of repair has nothing to do with safety, so if that is indeed one of their scoring weights, I would not rely on their tests for my purchasing decisions.

And anecdotally, I find the Model 3 headlights to be the best headlights on any car I've ever driven. I can't imagine how it didn't score well, except perhaps the glare it might cause to other drivers. But even then, I've never had anyone mistakenly think I had my hi-beams on and flash me at night. That's def happened to me in my other cars. I've already crossed paths with other Model 3s at night and didn't feel like the headlights were an issue.

The article indicates the manufacturers have to “nominate” their vehicles for consideration. How ridiculous & outrageous. So, the Boston Red Sox aren’t one of baseball’s best teams if they don’t nominate their team for consideration? Give it up, IIHS.
My guess it's mostly about them paying for the cars.

Tesla didn't have a single vehicle making the cut for one big reason: The company didn't provide IIHS with any data or vehicles to test, automatically eliminating it from the competition. For all the bragging Tesla likes to do about safety, it's somewhat odd the company didn't want to be rated.

No Volvo?
Volvo had Top Safety picks in 2018 and it seems 2019 needs small overlap crash test on the passenger side, too, which were not rated on those cars.

And anecdotally, I find the Model 3 headlights to be the best headlights on any car I've ever driven. I can't imagine how it didn't score well, except perhaps the glare it might cause to other drivers. But even then, I've never had anyone mistakenly think I had my hi-beams on and flash me at night. That's def happened to me in my other cars. I've already crossed paths with other Model 3s at night and didn't feel like the headlights were an issue.

Second. I think the Model 3 headlight are absolutely the best I've ever had. I like the color temperature and the broad flat beam. The auto high beam still needs a bit of work as it doesn't see semi cabs where the headlights are below the divider and a few other entertaining quirks but...

Reactions: Daniel in SD
They haven't historically done well on the IIHS tests, though, so it will be interesting when IIHS does test the X and the 3. Tesla also hasn't done well on the Euro NCAP either.

Technically, they've historically done well, except for one test that was implemented AFTER the Model S was designed, and headlights (which most manufacturers initially scored poorly on).

IIHS.jpg

Interesting, I didn't realize Tesla changed/improved the headlights in July this year.

The tech that installed my badge said my car has the 'old' headlights; he said they were changed because sometimes the eyebrow or something fails (I've seen posts about it) - then it gets replaced with the new one.

So far so good on mine but now I find myself checking them each am ;)

This is ridiculous. Have you ever seen an IIHS crash test video? Point me to one where the car was not totaled.
Unless by accident costs you mean costs due to bodily injury.

In order to qualify for Top Safety Pick Plus you need articulating headlights(They are freaking awesome BTW).

Tesla doesn't have those. Ergo, Tesla doesn't nominate their cars.

Headlight manufactures are production constrained not demand constrained.

Tesla is at the bottom of the pecking order.

Sales to the big legacy OEMs is far more important.

The biggest cost to the auto insurance industry is damage to people (medical cost) not cars.

Cost to repair cars do not factor into the safety rating.