Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top edge of hatch rubs body when closing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I picked up a new Model S a few weeks ago, overall it's been great but I just noticed this issue. While waiting to hear back from support I was wondering if anyone else had seen this before.

When the hatch is closing under power, the top right edge of the hatch sometimes hits the body of the car. You can see some paint damage where they have rubbed together. It doesn't rub while opening, or if closing the hatch by hand.

Here are some pictures and video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/D55bBj5QMLvuesEz7

The most concerning part for me is when the hatch is closing you can see it move forward / back when I would have expected the hinges to not allow movement in that direction. So I'm concerned there could be an issue with the hinges, when the hatch is open I tried moving around the base of the hatch and couldn't feel any slop / play in the hinges.

Wow. Very bad.

I had my hatch reworked by Tesla at a body shop because it was incorrectly aligned. The gap between the hatch at the hinge side was badly aligned. Ended up replacing the glass.

Get it taken care of by the Service Center ASAP.