Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top free charging locations in Portland

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looking on plugshare, the best location seems to be the Electric Ave, but last time we were there, the J1772 charger(s) were being used. Unfortunately, I do not have a chademo adapter. :(

Do the locals have a list of top public chargers in the city?

Thanks.

We paid $15 for parking at the Hotel deLuxe. It is next to the light rail station. The charging was free and fast (Tesla connectors). Signs say "valet only", but I parked there anyway. Stopped by the front desk, they said not to worry about it. If you are shopping downtown, smart park validates and has Blink charges. However, I find blink slow and unreliable.

For free charging, there are some up by PSU (electric avenue, I think) and maybe some down by the world trade center (those might be aerovironment or Blink-- can't remember). There are also some free chargers at OMSI, although I've never gotten the J1772 to work there (haven't tried in years, though). However, parking isn't free at OMSI, FYI.

I think there might also be a free 110 outlet over by city hall somewhere, if it's still there.

So the days of free charging in Portland are drawing to a close. There are plenty of Blink and other pay chargers, and some HPWCs if you are staying at a hotel, though.

• Love
Reactions: SweetP
And at Washington Square Mall, they do have several wall connectors and a couple of 14-50 outlets that are used for charging the test drive cars, but the sales people are usually fine with people using an available one for a while.

What is up with the micro-driveways of some of these houses in some Portland neighborhoods. We had rented a house on AirBNB for about four days. I was all set up to run a big cord into the house to use the dryer outlet, but the driveway was so narrow that the bushes were scratching BOTH sides of my car at the same time!!! After that first night mistake, I found that I could just barely back the car enough to get the nose out of the street, but not quite into bush scratching territory and barely have enough length of cord to charge overnight.

In the old days, Washington Square used to be a deal where if no one was parked in the Tesla spots, just pull in and plug in. Those days are long gone... although I think you're right, if you call them and ask nicely, they might let you charge there.

We paid $15 for parking at the Hotel deLuxe. It is next to the light rail station. The charging was free and fast (Tesla connectors). Signs say "valet only", but I parked there anyway. Stopped by the front desk, they said not to worry about it. If you are shopping downtown, smart park validates and has Blink charges. However, I find blink slow and unreliable.

Yes, this location worked well. Hotel deLuxe has two WCs and a GE unit. Convenient for either self-park or valet. Charging rate averaged 41 mi/hr, 203v at 64A for the Tesla connectors.

And at Washington Square Mall, they do have several wall connectors and a couple of 14-50 outlets that are used for charging the test drive cars, but the sales people are usually fine with people using an available one for a while.

What is up with the micro-driveways of some of these houses in some Portland neighborhoods. We had rented a house on AirBNB for about four days. I was all set up to run a big cord into the house to use the dryer outlet, but the driveway was so narrow that the bushes were scratching BOTH sides of my car at the same time!!! After that first night mistake, I found that I could just barely back the car enough to get the nose out of the street, but not quite into bush scratching territory and barely have enough length of cord to charge overnight.

Next time you come to Portland, stay at That Blue Cottage...it's my place, with a destination charger in our driveway.

Reactions: taldric