TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Top Gear compares P85D with i8 on a race track...

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Saghost, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Saghost

Saghost Active Member

After searching through Google, I don't think there's a thread on TMC for this yet. Top Gear didn't complain about the P85D pulling power during their laps - and thinks the main thing it needs for the track is better brakes:

Speed Week: Tesla Model S P85D vs BMW i8 | Top Gear

2. sorka

sorka Active Member

I love how the author thinks there are 18,650 cells in the pack :)

3. tkizzy

tkizzy Member

I really do wish we'd had a chance for a proper Clarkson/Hammond/May review of the Model S before TG went to ****....

4. BoerumHill

BoerumHill Member

LOL

Math is hard, let's go shopping.

5. spottyq

spottyq Member

That's not how things works. That's not how any of this works.

-----
    On an other note, do these track hybrids (BMW i8, Spyder and others) ever get problems with overheating (of the electric part of the drivedrain) or an empty battery mid lap (I know the ICE can recharge the battery, but does it get enough time to do so) ?
    I've never seen anybody complain, so I guess the addition of an ICE helps alleviate these concerns.
    It's not mentioned in this article, but then they didn't talk about the P85D overheating either.

6. AnOutsider

AnOutsider S532 # XS27

lmao, need gif for full efcect

7. martinwinlow

martinwinlow Member

A/ Whay would they bother to do a comparison - they are totally different cars! Different size, number of doors, drivetrain (one's electric - the other isn't)
    B/ Why would anyone with any sense be interested? MW

8. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

My understanding is that the issue with the i8 is not limited power due to overheating electric powertrain, but limited power due to emptying the battery after only a short period of "full performance" driving.

And with a depleted battery the i8 is not a fast car by anyone's definition.

9. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

At the end of the day the Model S was the second slowest car on the track. Even cars like the VW Golf Station Wagon R achieved a faster track time.

10. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

At the end of the day all day track performance is not what the Model S is about. Maybe someday there will be a track version of the car but the current model is for burst of acceleration more than sustained 120+mph performance. Something very few people do anyway. They should improve this and likely will at some point.

11. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

That's true but when the manufacturer is banging on about "691hp" and "insane mode", then you nurture such expectations.

12. sorka

sorka Active Member

Agreed. Why anyone would take an MS and even try to run it for a long time on a track is beyond me. Drag strip? Sure, but even then they hopefully wait a good long time between runs. I wouldn't want to put my battery through that.

13. David99

David99 Active Member

The Model S is really only a performance car when accelerating from 0 maybe 80 on a straight line, and fails at every other aspect of 'performance'. When not fully charged it drops, when cornering it falls behind many much cheaper cars, when trying to hold high speeds for a while it runs out of breath... People here try to point how little all of this matters in the real world. But seriously, how much does 0-60 in 2.8 vs 3.1 sec matter? It's just bragging rights. There is no safe situation in normal traffic where you need it or have any advantage.

14. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

If you are concerned about track performance, you need to wait for the next Roadster. Track Performance is not the mission of the Model S.

Though I admit, I'm curious to investigate why track performance wouldn't be a little better than what you all are saying. Given that it has fast acceleration, good cornering grip, and low center of gravity. Must be reduced output due to thermal limitations or something. And of course, the weight doesn't help. The heavier it is, the more energy it takes to move it around the curves.

When the next Roadster finally comes around, I think you will see a track monster. Look out when that happens. :)

15. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

In some ways, the P85D may be a worse track car than a P85+. It weighs 300 lbs more, the suspension supposedly is softer, and Tesla also switched away from staggered wheels (which does result in noticeably lower lateral gs) . The higher peak power may not necessarily make up for that depending on the track.

16. sorka

sorka Active Member

Wow. There's a lot there but it seems unqualified. Which 5 or 7 passenger full sized sedans is the P85+ or P85D slower when cornering?

Yes, power drops off some:

65% SOC 460 rear wheel hp:

p85d65P.jpg

90% SOC 498 rear wheel hp:

90SOC0to60.jpg

But it's not drastic. In fact, ICE cars have conditions under which power drops off too like a hot day or going up in altitude. A 400 hp ICE in denver only makes 330 hp. It losses 70 just to elevation.

17. thegruf

thegruf Member

The problems with the i8 are far more serious than this.

The electric bit doesn't last that long
    Then the ICE bit isnt that powerful
    But the biggest deal is that the ICE cant charge the battery and provide useful power at the same time.

So once the battery if flat you are left with an undersized engine hauling a battery around but unable to charge it.
    And it has synthesized sound ffs.

Actually in many real world scenarios this car is a major fail.
    A friend of mine bought one, kept it for about 3 months, averaged about 30mpg and sold it, describing it as the worst decision he had ever made in his life.
    (not entirely true as he sold it for more than he paid for it!!!)

18. Just a Reader

Just a Reader Member

It was still good enough to trounce the P85D.

19. deonb

deonb Active Member

There are 18650 cells in the pack. Just not 18,650 :)

20. thegruf

thegruf Member

Please point me to where Tesla claim the P85D is a track car?

Guess what there isn't any claim anywhere.

You might as well put the P85D up against a Jeep or Land Rover on an offroad course and say the P85D is "trounced" for the relevance of your comment.

On the street things are very different to a few laps around a track.