Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear EV caravanning episode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Waiting for a show where they fill up an ICE, drive it to near empty, then have to get back to a location just outside the range left....
I take your point but we all know its not equivalent. ICE are so inefficient to begin with that towing affects the range by much less since it only doubles the 20-40% of the fuel being used not the 60-80% being wasted as heat so the range only drops by 10-20% and when that happens you stop at one of the myriad of petrol stations for 5 minutes and don't even have to unhitch.

That's not to say I think this is a valid piece. Its a bit like the Guy Martin piece where he took a car to John o Groats ( the most remote place in the country) had issues finding chargers and then deemed EV's not ready for mainstream.:rolleyes:
So basically both pieces are looking at the things that EV's are worst at and then making them the subject of a story.
Most EV's owners will not visit John O Groats or tow anything or rally off road while eating chilis for that matter. So this is not really particularly useful for anyone thinking of getting an EV but it might scare them off which is a shame. TopGear is not fact based it is just for entertainment and should be treated as such.

Last week I did a 130 mile trip each way in my SR+ to pick up parts for a Tesla powered Evora which is my new project.
First stop on the way back was a Tesco near Norwich and was well pleased that two bays were available out of six clearly marked.
Is that called trailering a bay? Pity it was only 50kW but "any port in a storm".
The rear clam was like a barn door on the trailer and the 150 mile range I hoped for was soon binned by the car with a range warning as I went down the road and a later stop at the Parking Eye special at Kings Lynn SC was required.
Nice hotel but pity about the restrictive parking!

Charging.jpg