Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear Favorable review by Clarkson of electric MB SLS

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On the 7/29/2013 Clarkson is actually gushing about an electric car. I think I saw a Grin from Clarkson. He still claimed 20 hours for a recharge and other anti EV drivel.

There is hope for the future, but I can tell from his tone that Tesla Model S will still be bashed and abused. Misinformation and strawman arguments against EVs will still be his mantra. Maybe he will change with 120 kWh or 150 kWh batteries. Currently he says "at least powerful cars will be available when the petrol runs out."

Thoughts?

He was positive about the Roadster as well until it "ran out of battery". Much the same here, and to be fair with the SLS it has a particularly high energy consumption when being driven hard, I guess the 4 motors have something to do with that. For the amount it costs I can't help but feel they should have figured out how to wedge more batteries in there.

After all the legal situations with Tesla I unfortunately doubt the Model S will ever appear on the show, as I think (particularly if some superchargers were in place in the UK) Clarkson would have some severe difficulty justifying his usual complaints, and I'd love to see that.

To me the SLS thing was not positive overall. Particularly after the "hot lap" when himself and the other hosts were acting flustered and all "phew" "thank god" that the electric wasn't as fast as the (super-extra-duper-tuned) petrol SLS... it's quite clear where the UKs aversion to EVs comes from.

Charlie -

He was positive about the Roadster as well until it "ran out of battery".

Famously staged, of course!

I think (particularly if some superchargers were in place in the UK) Clarkson would have some severe difficulty justifying his usual complaints, and I'd love to see that.

They have demonstrated quite a bit of ingenuity on that front in the past - such as finding the only area in the country without any charging stations whatsoever. I'm sure they'll simply dig up some edge case where ridiculous routing will cause them to avoid all Superchargers.

To me the SLS thing was not positive overall.

These guys trashed a Lambo that was clearly better than its predecessors because it wasn't "scary"... i.e. you could actually control it in the corners. I don't know why anybody takes them seriously.

It's a step in the right direction! The all-electric SLR Clarkson commented on was amazing and it was an exciting review. I definitely saw the "grin" and he had a lot of good things to say even though he still appears to be anti-EV. Great to see more exposure to EVs, it keeps the conversation going.