Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear Magazine: Model 3 Performance is faster around a track than the BMW M3!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyway...I think lots of folks have proven (at least to themselves) that the 3, especially the performance is a fine track tool, and with minimal tweaking beats lots of performance ICE cars. Horses for courses and all that. Can’t wait to get mine out on the track again

Some tracks I'm lucky to get a 240V @ 32A, but not all of them. Most of them I head to lunch to supercharge -- it's 90 + charging round-trip for ORP; slightly better for the Ridge. PIR is 10 mi from the supercharger so it's a much better option.

10 min sessions isn't enough. That's 3-4 laps, which is just slightly more than I would get in the Model S. I've noticed that it's a lot easier to refine my line with the 3 than with the S due to repetition in a single session.

Who do you go with when you go to PIR? That was the track I learned to race motorcycles on and have many fond (and a few not so fond like hitting the bump entering T1 on the brakes and destroying my lovingly built classic super bike) memories of that track and would love to try it in the 3, especially with a SC close by so I could do a whole day

....until there's a rumour of a hint of light dizzle somewhere in the vicinity of the track. Then you pack it in for the day. ;)

But yes, a motorcycle is way out there on the edge of fun....and forbidden for me ever since a number of years ago I called my wife at midnight to come pick me up because I'd thoroughly trashed my bike. "Nope, you're not getting another one."

All in all probably for the best. This boo boo was all my fault but you can be the best motorcyclist operator on the planet and still there's a good chance one day someone will punch your cashing-out ticket for you. Nothing for you to do, no way to save yourself. It is really only a matter a time before you're in a seriously dangerous wreck. Keep driving long enough and it will happen.

Yep. It's just a matter of when or if your luck runs out. If you do enough driving on the Ragged Edge in a motorcycle it's just a question of rolling the dice, and whether you can continue to escape the consistent but perhaps overall low probability on any given day of a disaster. I saw quite a few motorcycle head trauma patients in my practice. It's not a place you ever want to be. Some of those guys probably would have been better off if they had not survived. So when people talk about how motorcycle racing is a purer form of racing than car racing I just smile.

I saw quite a few motorcycle head trauma patients in my practice. It's not a place you ever want to be.

That saddens me greatly. There are a lot of low skill riders out there that have been riding some form of motorcycle since they were youngsters. They think that just because they are male and have been doing it in one form or another since they were a youngster, they are a skilled rider. But many of this crowd have no idea how to stop quickly (or initiate a quick turn). It's pathetic really.

People are ultimately responsible for their own actions but it's still shocking how many fall apart as soon as things are not "normal". I've actually had life-long motorcyclists tell me they "had to put her down" when someone pulled out right in their path (as if they would have more control over their destiny with metal on pavement rather than keeping both rubber tires working in their favor).

But now we are off-topic. Most motorcycles are a better track tool than any production four-door sedan but the Model 3 is one of the better production four-door sedans if you're foolish enough to choose a four-door sedan as your primary track "tool". I still find it heartening that the Model 3 is faster around the track than the illustrious BMW M3. IMHO, neither one are good track tools.

Last edited: