TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TOP GEAR: TESLA’S MODEL 3 IS A 'TRIUMPH'

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by voltage, Apr 21, 2018.

1. voltage

voltage Member

#1 voltage, Apr 21, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2018
    I haven’t seen this posted yet.
    Top Gear: Tesla’s Model 3 is a 'triumph'
    Tesla Model 3

Performance is paramount in any Top Gear review. And it's reported that, "the Model 3 never feels anything less than enthusiastically fast... the whole car feels tight, alert and moves as one solid unit. Add to this the fact the battery pack is in the floor pan, which gives the 3 an unusually low centre of gravity, and there’s (whisper it) actual fun to be had here."

Cornering was a definite highlight: "On fast, sweeping corners [you] keep your inputs smooth, your foot away from the brake pedal and you can hustle it at quite hilarious speeds... The sensation is firmness, but well damped firmness, much like the sporty German saloons it’s looking to eradicate, but there’s purpose to its tautness – the chassis feels properly developed."

• Like x 7
    • Informative x 6
  2. sooner

sooner Member

It is the prior host of Top Gear, Jeremy Clarkson that Tesla will need to impressive. He was a large critic, and villain of Musk, which only continued in his Model X review for the Grand Tour season 2. (although, that review was much more positive, he was poking fun at previous altercations)
    Seems likely the Model 3 shows up in series 3 of the Grand Tour, which I believe is filming now.

• Like x 3
  3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

How come it says it comes with 3-4 free supercharging sessions?

4. Visscher

Visscher Member

Today's journalism skills on parade.

• Like x 5
    • Informative x 1
    • Funny x 1
  5. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

No, this is a Triumph.
    Robin
    1978-Triumph-Drivers-Side-630x276.jpg

• Funny x 15
  6. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

Yeah, calling it a "triumph" might be misunderstood by some as a slam against the car ... ;)

• Like x 1
  7. Knightshade

Knightshade Well-Known Member

• Funny x 3
    • Love x 2
  8. Blu Angel

Blu Angel Member

Voltage,

Thx for the link.
    Great read and it corroborates our belief in the Tesla 3

"Except this is the sensibly priced electric 3 Series rival that has the world’s knickers in a twist"
    Best line in the whole article

• Like x 2
  9. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Actually, a Robin is a Reliant:eek:
    upload_2018-4-23_10-54-17.jpeg
    Both had similar quality control, as I recall. Anyway, I have been waiting months for an appropriate monument to post this, Robin. Anyway, I prefer the Navion.

• Funny x 4
  10. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

"...it corners like a wounded rhino..."
    - Car and Driver review of a car in the 1970s

• Funny x 3
  11. TheRealM3

TheRealM3 Member

12. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

I really don't think the Robin corners like that. It was certainly frightening, compensated slightly because it was very, very slow, but still faster than the AC Invalid Cart which shared similar handling (FWIW, I am one of those idiots/fools who have driven them both):
    [​IMG]
    I cannot resist. AC was also the chassis source for this, which I also drove (because the owner lost his license so I became his lucky chauffeur fro a brief, glorious time):
    [​IMG]

• Like x 2
  13. N5329K

N5329K Active Member

The Navion manages to accomplish the magical aeronautical feat of being both nimble in handling and very stable. The Robin Reliant is also very stable, but only once it's safely on its side.
    Robin
    reliant_robin_02.thumb.jpg.451b70be1756ccbd7281ea5ba408215c.jpg

• Funny x 4
    • Love x 1
  14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Back on topic. How will Top Gear react to a P3D? I wonder if there will also be a higher capacity battery coming for the 3 once the Models S & X have had their next range improvements.

15. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

Man, that article was a tough read.... sooo sprinkled with inaccuracies that would have taken them all of an hour of research to sort. That, combined with the sardonic (annoying) British "wit" made it a bit of a wince to read.

Here's the gems;

The extra $3,000 is nothing but a deposit on a promise of future full-self driving software, not any extra hardware. Not sure where they hell they got that from.

Apparently the geniuses at Top gear don't know fake leather when they see it.

Something's excruciatingly annoying.

It's not a sunroof if you can't move it. It's a glass roof.

1. I thought the fear of this happening was already proven false... as there should be no data signal needed to use BT to unlock the car.
    2. If you "don't have a data signal" how did you call Tesla to unlock it?
    3. They don't unlock it from the dealership.

• Like x 2
  16. e-FTW

e-FTW New electron smell

“The graphic for setting your maximum speed on the cruise is also on the small side, tucked away in the corner of the screen – why not use the scroll wheels on the steering wheel for that? An over the air update will sort that out soon, says Tesla.”
    Fantastic news. Doing the same for the following distance setting will calm the “3rd-stalk” pitchfork waving crowd (which I am a part of).

17. sreams

sreams Member

Our 3 has the latest software (14.13) and no AP. The right scroll wheel works great for controlling dumb cruise control.

• Informative x 1