TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Top Gear (UK) reviews P60D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by andrerodpt, Aug 29, 2016.

1. andrerodpt

andrerodpt Member

Not sure if this was mention before but I thought it should have it's own thread.

Review: the entry-level Tesla Model S P60D

• Like x 2
  2. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

There's no such thing as a P60D, not sure why they kept referring to it as that.

• Like x 1
  3. andrerodpt

andrerodpt Member

Well spotted. I didn't catch that. But besides that, It's a positive review.

4. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil and Coral Gables, FL
    A decent enough review except that he's clueless about Tesla models. The persistent "P60D" references are irritating, but, otherwise...

5. Chasedrgc1223

Chasedrgc1223 Nearly Insane

Agreed, it is quite a good review regardless of your error.

6. Dan43

Dan43 Member

It reads well, typo excepted. There are other ones in UK Car press for re-freshed Model S60, Autoexpress, Autocar etc and Car Magazine has an in depth feature on Tesla, factory visit, new models.
    All reviews are positive, mostly 4 stars out of 5, the odd 5 star review, but mainly it gets a thumbs up.

7. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

In spite of the fact that they keep calling it a "P60D," I think they give a fair and accurate assessment. I'm thrilled with my "slow" Tesla since the only time I really get to use the acceleration is freeway merging and yellow lights. The instant torque is plenty quick for those things. Everyone I've given a ride to is still blown away at the sensation - granted I'm in MI, where many people don't know what a Tesla is, much less actually ridden in one.

• Like x 2
  8. andrerodpt

andrerodpt Member

And Evo Magazine, although not specifically the 60 and photos are from a pre-refreshed model (but beautiful nonetheless).

Tesla Model S review - electric super saloon now even cheaper

• Like x 1
  9. Dan43

Dan43 Member

• Like x 1
  10. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

That's true even in Ann Arbor? :eek:
    Decades ago when I was deeply devout as a follower of N. Rashevsky in Mathematical Biophysics (and it's (in)famous Journal of Mathematical Biophysics (aka: The Worm Runners Digest). To the young naieve me Ann Arbor was the fount of all human knowledge worth knowing.

It is sad indeed to disabuse me of my eternal admiration for the intellect of the denizens of your city. Of course I lived in Hell then so what would I have known.

11. Dan43

Dan43 Member

Digital preview of the new issue of CAR magazine

Tesla - The Surge UK Car Magazine feature advert. It needs to be bought I can't find it online this link has a preview though.

• Inside Tesla! CAR is granted access deep inside HQ of the EV revolution
    • Model X road trip Across the land of oil, by Tesla's electric crossover

12. Dan43

Dan43 Member

13. STbreaker

STbreaker Member

Well, don't despair. In Ann Arbor, people often know enough to point and stare - indicating some recognition. But with Tesla banned from selling/servicing in the state, most people still haven't ridden in one. My job is actually downriver (AKA industrial zone south of Detroit). Every once in a while people look at the car puzzled or even roll down their window to ask what it is, but rarely is it marveled over/celebrity status.

• Like x 1
  14. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Two weeks ago I was in Dearborn and a few other suburbs. When I parked my rented P90D there was another one right beside me. Mine had Massachusetts plates while the other was Washington. Nice, I thought! A few minutes later I was entering the museum when a nice young man came up to me and asked "what do you do for a living?" I stuttered a bit, when the guy said "I saw your Tesla and wondered what you did to be able to afford such a great car!" whereupon his spouse said "He's been lusting over that car more than he ever did over me!". They were obviously Southern Michiganders given their accents, but it was confirmed when he said "...if Jennifer Granholm were still Governor she'd have found a way to allow Tesla to sell direct in Michigan." I ratehr suspect he may underestimate the power of the Michigan car dealer lobby.

On the other hand Dearborn has free EV charging at most city garages as well as the Amtrack station; a good thing for me!

15. larmor

larmor Member

They were peeing after they realized they were comparing a MS60 to a bmw m5...

• Like x 1
  16. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I am really getting tired of reading all these glowing reviews! NOT!
    Love seeing a review about the same car I happen to be driving. :)
    Doesn't happen often. (For me)
    I have read all the BMW reviews for the past few years and really wanted to get one. Was looking at the 535i.
    But now I don't remember why I wanted a BMW and am so happy I waited. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. It blows away the 1986 Corvette I had and even corners so much better!

• Like x 1
  17. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

Your sentiments are those of many of us, including me. Yesterday my spouse and I happened to see a xxx driving by. xxx was my previous dream car. We looked at each other and agreed that we still like to look at them but we'd never want one after we have experienced our Tesla. We have become so addicted that I now even try to rent Tesla whenever I can rather than driving an ICE.. I do not find it surprising that car enthusiast reviewers become so enamoured of Tesla, any Tesla.

• Like x 1
  18. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

I finally read this story and he removed the P60D references. He did say it loses power after 70mph though "in comparison" to other Tesla's. It may be true but I had mine at 110mph and it just wanted to go faster :)