Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Gear (UK) reviews P60D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not sure if this was mention before but I thought it should have it's own thread.

Review: the entry-level Tesla Model S P60D

Enough accountancy. Why would I be seen in the slow Tesla?

Because it isn’t slow. In fact, it’s extremely quick. Up until now the only Model S versions I’d driven had been the fastest at the time; first a P85, then a P85D, and most recently a P90D with Ludicrous Mode, which is to-date the only car I’ve ceased accelerating in because it was making me feel genuinely nauseous. So I wasn’t expecting much from the P60D’s 324bhp. Not when it’s saddled with 2.1 tonnes to haul.

Fact is, even this baby Tesla is an obscenely fast car, purely because of the instantaneous nature of the performance. I know you must be bored of reading about electric motors hitting max power from the get-go by now, but honestly, the way this supposedly base-spec Tesla rockets from 0-30mph would destroy a red-blooded super-saloon like an M5. This makes it a terrific urban car, despite the usual Model S girth.

A decent enough review except that he's clueless about Tesla models. The persistent "P60D" references are irritating, but, otherwise...

It reads well, typo excepted. There are other ones in UK Car press for re-freshed Model S60, Autoexpress, Autocar etc and Car Magazine has an in depth feature on Tesla, factory visit, new models.
All reviews are positive, mostly 4 stars out of 5, the odd 5 star review, but mainly it gets a thumbs up.

In spite of the fact that they keep calling it a "P60D," I think they give a fair and accurate assessment. I'm thrilled with my "slow" Tesla since the only time I really get to use the acceleration is freeway merging and yellow lights. The instant torque is plenty quick for those things. Everyone I've given a ride to is still blown away at the sensation - granted I'm in MI, where many people don't know what a Tesla is, much less actually ridden in one.

It reads well, typo excepted. There are other ones in UK Car press for re-freshed Model S60, Autoexpress, Autocar etc and Car Magazine has an in depth feature on Tesla, factory visit, new models.
All reviews are positive, mostly 4 stars out of 5, the odd 5 star review, but mainly it gets a thumbs up.

And Evo Magazine, although not specifically the 60 and photos are from a pre-refreshed model (but beautiful nonetheless).

Tesla Model S review - electric super saloon now even cheaper

Reactions: jbcarioca
In spite of the fact that they keep calling it a "P60D," I think they give a fair and accurate assessment. I'm thrilled with my "slow" Tesla since the only time I really get to use the acceleration is freeway merging and yellow lights. The instant torque is plenty quick for those things. Everyone I've given a ride to is still blown away at the sensation - granted I'm in MI, where many people don't know what a Tesla is, much less actually ridden in one.
That's true even in Ann Arbor? :eek:
Decades ago when I was deeply devout as a follower of N. Rashevsky in Mathematical Biophysics (and it's (in)famous Journal of Mathematical Biophysics (aka: The Worm Runners Digest). To the young naieve me Ann Arbor was the fount of all human knowledge worth knowing.

It is sad indeed to disabuse me of my eternal admiration for the intellect of the denizens of your city. Of course I lived in Hell then so what would I have known.

That's true even in Ann Arbor? :eek:
Decades ago when I was deeply devout as a follower of N. Rashevsky in Mathematical Biophysics (and it's (in)famous Journal of Mathematical Biophysics (aka: The Worm Runners Digest). To the young naieve me Ann Arbor was the fount of all human knowledge worth knowing.

It is sad indeed to disabuse me of my eternal admiration for the intellect of the denizens of your city. Of course I lived in Hell then so what would I have known.

Well, don't despair. In Ann Arbor, people often know enough to point and stare - indicating some recognition. But with Tesla banned from selling/servicing in the state, most people still haven't ridden in one. My job is actually downriver (AKA industrial zone south of Detroit). Every once in a while people look at the car puzzled or even roll down their window to ask what it is, but rarely is it marveled over/celebrity status.

Well, don't despair. In Ann Arbor, people often know enough to point and stare - indicating some recognition. But with Tesla banned from selling/servicing in the state, most people still haven't ridden in one. My job is actually downriver (AKA industrial zone south of Detroit). Every once in a while people look at the car puzzled or even roll down their window to ask what it is, but rarely is it marveled over/celebrity status.
Two weeks ago I was in Dearborn and a few other suburbs. When I parked my rented P90D there was another one right beside me. Mine had Massachusetts plates while the other was Washington. Nice, I thought! A few minutes later I was entering the museum when a nice young man came up to me and asked "what do you do for a living?" I stuttered a bit, when the guy said "I saw your Tesla and wondered what you did to be able to afford such a great car!" whereupon his spouse said "He's been lusting over that car more than he ever did over me!". They were obviously Southern Michiganders given their accents, but it was confirmed when he said "...if Jennifer Granholm were still Governor she'd have found a way to allow Tesla to sell direct in Michigan." I ratehr suspect he may underestimate the power of the Michigan car dealer lobby.

On the other hand Dearborn has free EV charging at most city garages as well as the Amtrack station; a good thing for me!

I am really getting tired of reading all these glowing reviews! NOT!
Love seeing a review about the same car I happen to be driving. :)
Doesn't happen often. (For me)
I have read all the BMW reviews for the past few years and really wanted to get one. Was looking at the 535i.
But now I don't remember why I wanted a BMW and am so happy I waited. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. It blows away the 1986 Corvette I had and even corners so much better!

But now I don't remember why I wanted a BMW and am so happy I waited. This is by far the best car I have ever owned. It blows away the ...
Your sentiments are those of many of us, including me. Yesterday my spouse and I happened to see a xxx driving by. xxx was my previous dream car. We looked at each other and agreed that we still like to look at them but we'd never want one after we have experienced our Tesla. We have become so addicted that I now even try to rent Tesla whenever I can rather than driving an ICE.. I do not find it surprising that car enthusiast reviewers become so enamoured of Tesla, any Tesla.

Reactions: Chopr147