Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top of Model 3 Production Quality

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Based on all the changes so far with 2023 losing sensors and the LR range having reduced capacity, did the Model 3 line peak in 2022?

Other quick thoughts on this -

Has the AMD processor vs the earlier intel

Higher quality interior than early models

Heat pump

Double paned windows

After the years of producing the vehicle in basically the same form factor they have less and less production issues before the possible revamped rollout that might be coming in the near future.

Thoughts?

Based on all the changes so far with 2023 losing sensors and the LR range having reduced capacity, did the Model 3 line peak in 2022?

Other quick thoughts on this -

Has the AMD processor vs the earlier intel

Higher quality interior than early models

Heat pump

Double paned windows

After the years of producing the vehicle in basically the same form factor they have less and less production issues before the possible revamped rollout that might be coming in the near future.

Thoughts?
Rattles are still an issue and I see more and more of these appearing as the mileage piles on.

It is useful to think about how other car manufactures handle similar things. Generally they redesign each car model every 3-4 years. If you track the quality and issues of the models you can see the sawtooth pattern of quality with each major redesign. There are some exceptions. If your focus is on quality then you probably want to buy a model just before the redesign. But you might buy the redesigned model if it is really compelling and accept a few more problems.

Tesla hasn't fallen into just a strict pattern of redesign but you would have gotten a vehicle with more problems if you had gotten a Model 3 in the first year. Assuming the Model 3 Highland reports are true and you want a vehicle with the fewest problems I would wait a year or two for the revamped production lines to smooth out the problems before getting one. Harder to say with lesser changes like the heat pump or processor in the brains of the car.

You have the natural progression of keeping the same model so things slowly get better but I think an important thing I was trying to call out was the cheapening of the cars to improve margins. Things like removing sensors and using computer vision, different battery packs, and potentially removing the gear stalk (rumored).

I really hope it's not the standard rule, but my 2020 3P with 80k miles has comparable build quality to my neighbor's 22LR.
There is one difference though, his doors have a better closing sound. I should probably grease the links a bit...