Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top off at Tesla owner's House

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
All All
Just floating this idea for top off: Cars are selling fast and not enough charging stations out there. How about creating a network of Tesla owners willing to share their charging station at home to visitors from other town. Example: I am from Houston visiting some body in Frisco, TX and my host in Frisco does not have a charging station at home. If I need a top off in Frisco and if we have a network of Tesla owners (nation wide) and a member from the network who is in Frisco is ready to give me a top off is going to be a big help. Any suggestions and/or it is a stupid idea??!!:love:

All All
Just floating this idea for top off: Cars are selling fast and not enough charging stations out there. How about creating a network of Tesla owners willing to share their charging station at home to visitors from other town. Example: I am from Houston visiting some body in Frisco, TX and my host in Frisco does not have a charging station at home. If I need a top off in Frisco and if we have a network of Tesla owners (nation wide) and a member from the network who is in Frisco is ready to give me a top off is going to be a big help. Any suggestions and/or it is a stupid idea??!!:love:

Already done. It's called Plugshare.

Palm Desert doesn't look so bad. Try recargo.com. Here's what I see there:

Screen Shot 2013-10-10 at 7.41.02 PM.png

Home 14-50 sharing

OK. So here is what I don't understand as we discuss traveling where there is no SC. I get 28-31 miles/hr from my 14-50. If the nearest SC is 75 miles, would people be wanting to drop by my house and sit there for 3 hours? How does this work? I have decided that I need either a SC routing, or a hotel/B&B with a place to charge overnight. Is "topping off" a real option for people?

OK. So here is what I don't understand as we discuss traveling where there is no SC. I get 28-31 miles/hr from my 14-50. If the nearest SC is 75 miles, would people be wanting to drop by my house and sit there for 3 hours? How does this work? I have decided that I need either a SC routing, or a hotel/B&B with a place to charge overnight. Is "topping off" a real option for people?

It certainly can be. It just depends on the people. If they need three hours worth of charging then that's what they need, and it's likely more enjoyable if there is someone to talk to during that time (or at least during part of it). I typically use RV parks and read or watch a movie.

All All

No, its not a stupid idea and this has been discussed before.

Tesla owner charging network

As I point out in the other similar thread, Plugshare is a great resource, but not everyone is comfortable with having strangers visit them or sharing their charging source with strangers.

We currently have 236 households that are members in our Florida Tesla Enthusiasts club. Of that number 51 households have joined our Club Charging Network to to share their home charging source and supplement the growing Florida Supercharger network.

Here's our club network.

FTMC Charging Network.jpg

Larry

Aren't the members of your charging club also strangers to each other? I don't understand the distinction. Having a network of Model S owners with HPWCs or 14-50s on plugshare is no different than having those same people in a Model S only club. The only difference is that one group identifies as a "club" while the other does not. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with publishing your approximate location on Plugshare with a contact form being the only way to contact you. No phone numbers, physical location/addresses, or email addresses need to be made public, and you have to be a Plugshare member to contact anyone with a published residential charger.

I am not a fan of creating yet another place to find charging locations. We already need to visit too many web sites for this information, why not just consolidate around one or two core sites to make it easy and straightforward?

Aren't the members of your charging club also strangers to each other? I don't understand the distinction. Having a network of Model S owners with HPWCs or 14-50s on plugshare is no different than having those same people in a Model S only club. The only difference is that one group identifies as a "club" while the other does not. There is nothing wrong or dangerous with publishing your approximate location on Plugshare with a contact form being the only way to contact you. No phone numbers, physical location/addresses, or email addresses need to be made public, and you have to be a Plugshare member to contact anyone with a published residential charger.

I am not a fan of creating yet another place to find charging locations. We already need to visit too many web sites for this information, why not just consolidate around one or two core sites to make it easy and straightforward?

Many of our members are friends and as time goes by more are becoming personally aquainted with one another and forming close friendships. None of our club members are complete strangers. We know in advance who may be requesting accesss to participating club member's home charging equipment, and we know where they live in advance of any visit. This makes some of our members more comfortable in sharing their equipment.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that for one reason or the other most people are simply not comfortable sharing their equipment. For example, most of our club members don't even want to share their home charging equipment with other club members, let alone complete strangers. With all due respect, I think it is naive to expect everyone to feel comfortable opening their homes to complete strangers. Different strokes for different folks. Only about 20% of our membership have opted to join our private club network. I would be very surprised if of the general EV population in the US if more than a few percent are comfortable joining Plugshare.

We respect the fact that for some folks a private network offers an increment of security over a public network. However, we are not competing with Plugshare, in fact a few of our club members are also listed on Plugshare. We are merely offering our members, as Elon would say, additional optionality. Our members are free to do what they please, join either, or both networks, or none.

Larry

Many of our members are friends and as time goes by more are becoming personally aquainted with one another and forming close friendships. None of our club members are complete strangers. We know in advance who may be requesting accesss to participating club member's home charging equipment, and we know where they live in advance of any visit. This makes some of our members more comfortable in sharing their equipment.

Nevertheless, the fact remains that for one reason or the other most people are simply not comfortable sharing their equipment. For example, most of our club members don't even want to share their home charging equipment with other club members, let alone complete strangers. With all due respect, I think it is naive to expect everyone to feel comfortable opening their homes to complete strangers. Different strokes for different folks. Only about 20% of our membership have opted to join our private club network. I would be very surprised if of the general EV population in the US if more than a few percent are comfortable joining Plugshare.

We respect the fact that for some folks a private network offers an increment of security over a public network. However, we are not competing with Plugshare, in fact a few of our club members are also listed on Plugshare. We are merely offering our members, as Elon would say, additional optionality. Our members are free to do what they please, join either, or both networks, or none.

Larry

I appreciate your comments, and thank you for taking the time to reply. I have noticed a trend among Model S owners wanting to be part of an exclusive Model S charging network, there is an entire thread about it over at TM forums. I was looking at it from a purely functional standpoint, but the trust component seems to be the biggest factor for Model S owners. Being a member of an owners club, especially one where you regularly meet the other members, goes a long way towards building that trust.

Thank you for providing such a useful service to your area Model S owners. It would be nice to have something like that here in Phoenix. I have joined one Tesla club, but I believe it's primarily for Roadster owners. I'll keep looking.