TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Top Questions/Facts for inquiring 3rd parties

Discussion in 'Model S' started by JMG, Mar 14, 2015.

1. JMG

JMG Member

As I'm impatiently waiting for my 85D, I've been reading as much info as possible about the facts of the car, how its made, etc. I know once I get it, I will get a TON of questions on it once I'm out and about. I'm in a fairly rural part of Texas and I think the closest MS is probably an hour away, and even still they are probably less than 10 there.

So, this may have been covered elsewhere in another thread but I couldn't find one via a quick search.

What are your "go to" Tesla factoids when introducing the car to a person that's never heard or seen one before? Aside from the 0-60 in 3.2 seconds for the P, how do you charge it, how long does it take to charge it, etc?

Such as: There are X amount of moving parts in the drive train. Approximately XXXX of lithium ion batteries in a specific order in the battery pack. 95% aluminum? Etc etc?

What kind of fact do you find gets the biggest reaction out of people? I want to know as much about the car as possible so I can be a good advocate for the car and the brand.

2. mejojo

mejojo Member

3. JMG

JMG Member

Actually just got through watching the National Geographic Megafactories (45 minutes) and it was awesome. So I grabbed some good stuff off of there. I haven't watched that one yet, which I will be doing so shortly, thanks!

4. paulkva

paulkva Member

For people who haven't heard of it at all, I find I usually have to stick with the basics.
    "What kind of car is that?" Tesla. "Who makes it?" Tesla. "Where?" California.
    If I get to a point where I say it's all-electric, I often have to follow up with "nope, no gas whatsoever."
    I get a lot of "how much does it cost?" - to which I usually reply vaguely, either "starts at 70K" or "about as much as a mid-range BMW."
    "Where's the engine?" is a fun one, and I show people the frunk & trunk, and then tell them there's a watermelon-sized motor between the rear wheels.
    In Texas you might get a lot of "where can you buy one?" which of course can open a can of worms.
    Probably not so relevant to you in TX but a lot of people have been asking me how it handles in the snow. I have RWD and it's still pretty good because it's heavy and the center of gravity is so low.

The "how long to charge" question is an interesting one, and I know it's covered a lot on these forums, but I always try to lead with something like "my battery is as full as I want it to be every morning so it doesn't matter."
    Similarly, "how far can it go on a charge" is common; I usually lead with 265 miles and then a similar "it doesn't matter" comment, both because I charge nightly and because superchargers are generally < 200 miles apart.

If you want to go more in depth, you can buy one or more cheap 18650 batteries (I see US-based eBay listings starting in the $2-$3 range) and show it to people; you can then say things like "there are 7,104 of these underneath my car."

To answer your last question: Once they know it's electric, by far the biggest/best reactions I get from people are when I tell them I've driven it from DC to Florida and back. Jaws routinely drop. If you're within range of any superchargers, I highly recommend trying out a supercharged road trip, even if it's "only" to San Antonio or Houston. It's great to talk about supercharged travels in concept, but the first-hand experience of it has made me all the more excited about the car and the brand.

Congrats on the car, BTW. :)

5. JMG

JMG Member

#5 JMG, Mar 15, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
    Great stuff, thanks! Good info.

I've gathered some other things like there is a half mile of copper in the AC motor, the battery weighs about 1200 lbs, has one of the lowest drag coefficient of any production cars, etc.

Thanks!

6. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

1700 lbs for the battery sounds about 500 lbs too high.

7. Rheazombi

Rheazombi Member

I like the factoid about how all the aluminium body panels combined only weigh about 410 pounds.

I think people like to know about how much cheaper it is to run than a gas car. Cost per mile, cost per year, that sort of thing. Depends on the current gas prices tho.

Also, if anyone seems worried about battery life you can mention the 8 year unlimited mile battery warranty and also the fact that there are Model S test vehicles that have 500,000 miles on them and are still going strong.

8. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I bought a couple of these to keep in the cabin:

Amazon.com: Two Panasonic NCR18650B 3.7V 3400mAh Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries QTY 2: Electronics -- These are green.. but now I see there are purple ones too -- these look pretty cool: Amazon.com: 2 Efest Purple IMR 35A 18650 2500mAh 3.7v Rechargeable Flat Top Batteries: Electronics

As as mentioned above, I use them to show people what powers the car. They're usually stunned.

I also tell people compared to my ICE, I'm paying the equivalent of about 35 cents per gallon. And over a 10 year ownership horizon, the savings in gasoline alone dwarfs the high up-front cost of the car, not to mention the huge savings in never paying for: Oil changes, water pumps, timing chains, alternators, thermostats, transmission service, radiator flushes, fuel filters, tune-ups, O2 sensors, exhaust repairs, etc, etc, etc.

9. JMG

JMG Member

You know I think you are right. My mistake. Will correct.

10. REBroker

REBroker Member

I drive all over town and park in a ton of different places all the time, it's not like people are coming out of the woodworks asking questions, FYI. In about a month driving, I've had two people ask me questions and one additional person say "I love your Tesla! looks awesome!!" but that's about it. The ones who ask questions mostly ask "What car is that?" and I say "It's a Tesla electric car.", they may say "Wow, looks great, etc." but the exchange can be short and if kept long it's usually due to the driver more than the other person really having tons of questions, IMO. I had one person tell me they were considering buying one and whether I liked it. I said I had no complaints and it was just awesome and I would highly recommend it. In my area there are not many Teslas either. and I go to places where people wouldn't even dream of one at this stage, so you would think there would be many people asking questions but nop.

As for family and friends, I just tell them the basics, all electric, like a computer on wheels, insanely fast, starts in the 60k range.