Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Speed Test – Tesla Model S P85 Gets Driven on the Autobahn

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@JST - I'll repeat my question to you. Which car would you call best car in the world?

This discussion reminds of people that love to complain that XYZ sucks but then, when pressed, quietly admit that XYZ is the best option available in reality. And then we can all move on to more productive topics.

See my edit above. Taking into account the various criteria I laid out, plus some more, how about the Golf GTD? It does everything you need to do (other than go off road), it carries five people, it's relatively cheap to buy and run, and it still has some sporting pretensions for when you want to have fun.

To bring this back to Tesla, when we talk about the (notional) Gen IV, in my mind the Golf GTD/GTI are the bogey for that car. If you can make an electric car that does to the Golf GTI/GTD what the Tesla Model S does to the Porsche Panamera, you've irrevocably changed the world and earned your trip to Mars.

@JST - I'll repeat my question to you. Which car would you call best car in the world?

Ok, I agree with brianman on this one. I have already admitted that my GTI MKV did a few things better than my Model S. But the Model S is still a much better car, not really a contest in my book.

But to play devil's advocate I will give him a 'best car' that isn't a Model S. It is the only other car I still lust after, and the only ICE car I would even consider buying!

A Porsche 911 Turbo. Specifically this one http://www.porsche-code.com/PF1X2EI7

Which is obviously inferior to the Model S in many many ways. But it is also better in many ways as well.

If we talk about the 100.000 € class, an Audi RS6 beats the Model S in most categories except energy use. But with France still mainly getting power from Nuclear reactors and the typical german doubt against these power source these advantage is not really relevant. So let's compare both cars purely on objective terms.

The RS6 has about as much room, is better buildt, better seats, way more safety features and it runs rings around a Model S in every performance category. The RS6 does 0-200 kph in 12s. 8s faster than a Model S. Topspeed is 300 kph. Audi's mulitmedia system is also state of the art and in Europe at least it works much better than the Tesla's interface. And it's got 600km range.

My personal dream car however is a Ferrari F12.

…/ The RS6 has /…/ way more safety features /…
I’m unfortunately not sure about all aspects, but at least with regards to frontal and side impact, the Model S seems to be just as safe as an RS6 – probably safer. In a frontal collision the Model S is probably notably safer.

If we talk about the 100.000 € class, an Audi RS6 beats the Model S in most categories except energy use. But with France still mainly getting power from Nuclear reactors and the typical german doubt against these power source these advantage is not really relevant. /…
Many people who can afford to choose between these two cars can also afford to install a lot of solar panels on their home somehow. Or buy into some sort of solar power in some other way. They can also afford to buy into some sort of wind power co-op or some such.

So lets say they choose to buy a Model S instead of a RS6 and combine that with the solar and wind as laid out above. Yes, it will cost a little more, but with so many things that cost a little more, it will be a lot better. If they care at all about everyone who could be able to live on this planet after themselves that is. It’s the only way to come close to reducing world CO2 emissions with 85%. And that amount of reduction is the only way to begin to reduce the CO2-level in the atmosphere with current technology.

If you can afford it, then it seems like a no brainer to me.

Edit: Oh, and my personal favorite car? The gen3 station wagon with the biggest battery and a factory mounted euro spec towing hook.

Last edited:
We have to remember that the Audi RS6 isn't Audi's first car unlike the Model S and Tesla (Model S being first car Tesla built from ground up).
The Model S will only get better with time. Still, comparing what the Model S is now it holds up well. Only the person buying the car can decide if some of the drawbacks to driving an EV at the moment overshadow the positive aspects. Realist sees top speed as the number one metric in determining what makes a good car it seems.

I doubt you can drive RS6 at 89 mpge but if you could then it would be a better car in evey category but don't think that will happen. Top speed honestly isn't an issue in US so can take that away. Anyone driving well over speed limit let alone over 100mph in US should rethink things. I've never seen someone use 0-200km/hr as a performance metric. Usually 0-60mph, 0-100mph and 1/4 mile time in US. The Model S only has one 'gear' so of course it will lose this but it also never has to shift.

Nitpick: Don’t you mean the Gen III?

Actually, no--I don't think the Gen III will be a truly mass-market car. It's been pitched as a 3 series fighter, which is one notch up from a car like the Golf. Even if some variant of that car starts at 35K, if the Model S is any indication the prices will climb quickly, and reasonably well optioned versions will be going for well into the 50 grand range.

Actually, no--I don't think the Gen III will be a truly mass-market car. It's been pitched as a 3 series fighter, which is one notch up from a car like the Golf. Even if some variant of that car starts at 35K, if the Model S is any indication the prices will climb quickly, and reasonably well optioned versions will be going for well into the 50 grand range.

Given the number of people that went from a $30K car to a Model S, I wouldn't want to place a large bet on that.

This one is in German, however, for all those people who do not speak the Geramn it still is great to watch. The enthusiasm of this guy is great and in the second part the reaction of the people who are used to driving fast cars.

JP Performance - TESLA Model S (PART 2) - YouTube

There is also a first part but that is less interesting IMHO

Thanks for this. Only understood one word in fifty ("Tesla", "electroauto", "schnell".....) but the excitement and enthusiasm for Tesla is undeniable. I love how the R8 guy is actually rendered speechless.

Wow. Driving 130mph in the rain. Around a bend too. That's just really brilliant. Keep that up and Tesla won't be able to claim that there's never been any occupant deaths in a Tesla vehicle anymore.

Well, you certainly haven't been to Germany, or at least have not driven on the Autobahn. That kind of driving is considered perfectly normal over here. Even a VW Golf or almost every family hatchback or station wagon/estate can manage a driving style like the one shown. And I know of quite a lot of stretches of Autobahn where you would be considered a nuisance if you drove in the left lane at "only" 212 kph...

- - - Updated - - -

IMO, driving over 100mph is pathetic. You're pushing a wall of air and risking certain death if you crash. Well, certain death if an ICE engine is pushed into your lap anyway.

Actually, driving on the Autobahn is far safer than on any kind of road in Germany - fewest accidents, fewest deaths. The most dangerous roads with the most fatal accidents are normal country roads! Plus, it is also about being used to it. Most people over here are used to driving at high speeds on the Autobahn. And as we are used to what many in the US would call "narrow" roads, it isn't a problem either. It is only when we come to the US and drive on your highways that we begin to understand why Americans think roads are "narrow" over here in Europe (it is not just in Germany you know).

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and my personal favorite car? The gen3 station wagon with the biggest battery and a factory mounted euro spec towing hook.

++++1

- - - Updated - - -

I'll agree on that one. I had a Golf GTI. I absolutely loved it. It did do some things better than a Model S. But there isn't really any overall way to say the GTI was better.

Quite. I had a Golf myself as my first car. Even that one was better in some respects than the Model S P85 I test drove a while ago. But while the Mark 7 Golf surely wins over Model S in some categories, overall you just can't compare the two, because they are so fundamentally different cars.
But the e-Golf will make for an interesting comparison, at least in the EV tech department...

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for this. Only understood one word in fifty ("Tesla", "electroauto", "schnell".....) but the excitement and enthusiasm for Tesla is undeniable. I love how the R8 guy is actually rendered speechless.

Incidentally his reaction was the same as mine when I first put the pedal to the metal in my P85 test drive :)

Oh and the driver (J.P.) is quite a well known TV presenter over here (several car and tuning related shows).

I’m unfortunately not sure about all aspects, but at least with regards to frontal and side impact, the Model S seems to be just as safe as an RS6 – probably safer. In a frontal collision the Model S is probably notably safer.

Many people who can afford to choose between these two cars can also afford to install a lot of solar panels on their home somehow. Or buy into some sort of solar power in some other way. They can also afford to buy into some sort of wind power co-op or some such.

So lets say they choose to buy a Model S instead of a RS6 and combine that with the solar and wind as laid out above. Yes, it will cost a little more, but with so many things that cost a little more, it will be a lot better. If they care at all about everyone who could be able to live on this planet after themselves that is. It’s the only way to come close to reducing world CO2 emissions with 85%. And that amount of reduction is the only way to begin to reduce the CO2-level in the atmosphere with current technology.

If you can afford it, then it seems like a no brainer to me.

Edit: Oh, and my personal favorite car? The gen3 station wagon with the biggest battery and a factory mounted euro spec towing hook.

Realist is talking about safety features to avoid impacts :- ) - ever heard of ACC, lane assist and side assist ?

Too bad your no brainer doesn´t apply to many fellow-Swedes...

[1] Realist is talking about safety features to avoid impacts :- ) - [2] ever heard of ACC, lane assist and side assist ?

[3] Too bad your no brainer doesn´t apply to many fellow-Swedes...

[My numbers within bracket-parentheses]
1. Oh, I know.

2. Or you can stay awake and use the muscles in your neck[SUP]4[/SUP]. Using your eyes can be useful too. :wink: Anyways, all those little gadgets are on their way as I understand it…

3. That’s what a lack of VAT-exemption for electric cars ends up resulting in. That, and a IMO puzzling set of priorities… :confused:

[SUP]4[/SUP]But yeah, I can see the benefit of blind spot detection/monitor for someone with reduced function in their neck anatomy...

Last edited:
2. Or you can stay awake and use the muscles in your neck[SUP]4[/SUP]. Using your eyes can be useful too. :wink: Anyways, all those little gadgets are on their way as I understand it…

[SUP]4[/SUP]But yeah, I can see the benefit of blind spot detection/monitor for someone with reduced function in their neck anatomy...

Honestly I never understood how the Model S got it's safety rating.

The rear headrest of this car is a joke. Anyone being taller than a 12 year old child can get serious injuries with these seats.

Honestly I never understood how the Model S got it's safety rating.

The rear headrest of this car is a joke. Anyone being taller than a 12 year old child can get serious injuries with these seats.
That's your professional opinion as a medical doctor specializing in neck injuries?

If not, keep your speculations to yourself, and let the experts give safety ratings.

Does anyone have an estimated time-line for this?
Esben Pedersen, Communications Manager Scandinavia, has said that the NCAP testing will most probably be performed later this year.

By the time the NCAP testing is performed, the Model S will require an Autonomous Emergency Braking System, or be automatically downgraded from five to four stars. It is expected that when Tesla installs an AEB System, they will also include adaptive cruise control and lane departure warning. Possibly also blind spot detection.

Last edited:
The RS6 has about as much room, is better buildt, better seats, way more safety features and it runs rings around a Model S in every performance category. The RS6 does 0-200 kph in 12s. 8s faster than a Model S.

That car is a monster and can beat Model S in any kind of realistic race I have no doubt. Curious, to get MS-P level 0-60 times in an RS6 you do need to use some kind of launch control, right?

Anyway, as a daily driver there is something to be said for Model S effortless, instantaneous, silent power, always available.

More on speed:

Yes I am aware of the speed limit on Model S. I only take motorcycles, rarely, over 100mph since I want to be 100% sure the only person I kill will be myself. Model S is a tank and there has already been at least one incident where a Model S owner, driving at speed, walked away while occupants in the other car were killed. So please be safe, no matter what you drive.

Last edited:
That's your professional opinion as a medical doctor specializing in neck injuries?

If not, keep your speculations to yourself, and let the experts give safety ratings.

Of course you are right about the experts.
But speaking from my experience during the test drive, I have to at least defend Realist in that the rear headrests are a joke. They might be safe (I don't know how they could to be honest), but they are (at least for my body measurements) extremely uncomfortable even on shortest distances.
And I have been in a horrendous accident about fifteen years ago. I sat in the back seat of an old ('83) 240D Mercedes when it happened, and fortunately got away with only minor injuries, but if I imagine that same accident in a Model S, I believe my neck would have been crushed to bits thanks to no headroom and no neck support.
Anyway, I am also eagerly awaiting the Euro NCAP test results.