Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Top Tips

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all! I am picking up my Model 3 tomorrow, and am hoping I can get some advice on the top things to do early on after purchasing. If anyone has any "I wish I'd been told..." kind of thing, I'd love to hear it!

Some things I am considering:

1. I live in Vancouver, a city where a lot of salt is spread on the streets in the winter. I've heard the Model 3 paint doesn't hold up too well, so I am going to either get the weather protection kit, or do a full wrap (for colour or for paint protection, depends on the colours).

2. Similar, I've heard bad things about the glass roof chipping, so a protective film sounds good there. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

3. Mats! I will also be moving to the snowier parts of Canada next year, so figure I might as well get the most protective mats now. I've noticed that the OEM ones seem popular (I'd got for the all weather, of course). 3D Maxspider also seem popular, but I find the look less elegant than the OEM. I don't see a whole lot of options that specify that they're (perfectly) compatible with the 2021 model but any other recommendations would be appreciated!

4. Glass roof UV protection. I've been told that the temperature control of the car takes up a lot of battery, and that covering the glass roof can really help improve mileage (do we call it mileage for an EV?). If anyone has any knowledge on that I'd love to hear.

Anyways thanks everyone! Any other important tips or bits of knowledge you want to share will also be super appreciated!!

#1 and 3 are important. #2 and 4 less so. I've never heard of anyone getting protective film for the glass roof. Has anyone? As for film for the roof, most of the peeps who get that are in hot sunny climes like Arizona, Cali, Texas, Florida, etc.

Other tips, think about what you want to do for winter tires. If you take long trips, consider a compact spare, and a flat tire kit, pump, jack.

On #1, you don't have to PPF the whole car, but the forward facing surfaces, if you want to save a little.

Taking off the aero wheel covers makes the wheels look nicer!

Reactions: Fadiawesome
the tesla all weather mats are fantastic. just get them, and don't waste a bunch of time getting third party solutions just to save $12

I prefer the look and functionality of the Maxpider mats. Nothing against the Tesla mats ... I just like the Maxpiders more. Wasn’t a cost-cutting move.

It’s a personal decision we all make for ourselves.

Some other add ons I like ...
- Abstract Ocean’s bright LEDs for the foot wells & trunk area. Really nice upgrade.

- if you’re going to end up parking outdoors in the snow, I love my Yet-E-Boot. Keeps snow and ice off the charging port/connector. Great little invention. (And it’s Canadian, too!). Welcome | Yet-E-Boot

Given that this should have the “new” center console, my other must-have used to be a console vinyl covering. But no longer necessary!

Best of luck with the new car - you’re gonna love it!

Hi all! I am picking up my Model 3 tomorrow, and am hoping I can get some advice on the top things to do early on after purchasing. If anyone has any "I wish I'd been told..." kind of thing, I'd love to hear it!

1. I live in Vancouver, a city where a lot of salt is spread on the streets in the winter. I've heard the Model 3 paint doesn't hold up too well, so I am going to either get the weather protection kit, or do a full wrap (for colour or for paint protection, depends on the colours).

2. Similar, I've heard bad things about the glass roof chipping, so a protective film sounds good there. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?

3. Mats! I will also be moving to the snowier parts of Canada next year, so figure I might as well get the most protective mats now. I've noticed that the OEM ones seem popular (I'd got for the all weather, of course). 3D Maxspider also seem popular, but I find the look less elegant than the OEM. I don't see a whole lot of options that specify that they're (perfectly) compatible with the 2021 model but any other recommendations would be appreciated!

4. Glass roof UV protection. I've been told that the temperature control of the car takes up a lot of battery, and that covering the glass roof can really help improve mileage (do we call it mileage for an EV?). If anyone has any knowledge on that I'd love to hear.

Anyways thanks everyone! Any other important tips or bits of knowledge you want to share will also be super appreciated!!
Lol I'm waiting for delivery in Vancouver too! When did you order? I placed mine Nov 1.

Congrats Emily. You’ll love your car. I wonder if the glass roof UV protection you’re thinking of is the 2 piece sunshield. I ordered it planning on a road trip into California, that’s not happened yet. I installed them (extremely quick and easy) and have decided to leave them in place as a bit of cold weather insulation until Spring when the weather warms. Maybe by then I might even get to use them as a sunshield on my road trip!

The one downside is you can’t watch birds fly over or fully enjoy the huge glass roof of your new M3.

1) This depends on how much effort you want to make. PPF means less effort to keep the car clean and check for scrapes and such. If you like to spend time cleaning and taking care of your care then you're golden. Black paint isn't metallic and is very fragile, so I would definitely do something about that shade. I took good care of my white TM3P (Norwegian winters is comparable to yours), didn't show any sign of wear after a year. I also had some small mudflaps, though they affect range a tiny bit.

2) I haven't heard about chipping except people who use unoriginal or over-torqued roof racks. Protective film won't help in those situations. There's also been some reports of the roof being installed wrong, leading to cracks, but all in all that shouldn't be a problem.

3) I like the OEM ones. I actually used the carpeted mats all year, they hold up much better than you'd think, and I like to drive without shoes on so the carpet is nice.

4) I don't think this is an issue. The TM3 is fairly easy to keep warm, it's a compact car and the heating is great. If you use seat warmer efficiently and don't put the climate on auto all the time then you're gonna save much more than covering the roof (I didn't, I just put it on auto and charge the car every day, I'm lazy like that).
Also, the panoramic roof is fantastic, I wouldn't want to spoil the view.

Buy a Modern Spare kit, plugging kit and compressor. I have a Y and the heat pump is great. Mush les energy consumed. I hope you're getting the Model 3 refresh.
I live in hot country and yet never have felt the need for film on the roof. The side windows I have had tinted.

Reactions: XLR82XS

1. Full wrap if you can afford it.
2. Never heard of roof glass chipping before.
3. The Tesla mats made by WeatherTech are not that good because they do have high enough side walls and the foot petal area does not have full coverage. Buy it if it's good enough for you.
4. Vancouver is not that hot. You can do that after you try out the car with the default tint.

I prefer the look and functionality of the Maxpider mats. Nothing against the Tesla mats ... I just like the Maxpiders more. Wasn’t a cost-cutting move.

It’s a personal decision we all make for ourselves.

Some other add ons I like ...
- Abstract Ocean’s bright LEDs for the foot wells & trunk area. Really nice upgrade.

- if you’re going to end up parking outdoors in the snow, I love my Yet-E-Boot. Keeps snow and ice off the charging port/connector. Great little invention. (And it’s Canadian, too!). Welcome | Yet-E-Boot

Given that this should have the “new” center console, my other must-have used to be a console vinyl covering. But no longer necessary!

Best of luck with the new car - you’re gonna love it!

the cross thatching on those mats do not allow you to wipe them down and clean well. I guess if you either never get them dirty, or pull them out and physically wash them off regularly, they are awesome lol

the cross thatching on those mats do not allow you to wipe them down and clean well. I guess if you either never get them dirty, or pull them out and physically wash them off regularly, they are awesome lol
That's why I didn't go with Maxspider. I prefer the ease of cleaning with the ones I have (modern chevron pattern) plus they fit the overall modern look IMO.

Reactions: Sam1

I take them out, hose them down and put them back. Easiest cleaning mats I’ve ever had. I also have a hose next to the driveway - makes it simple.

I prefer a texture since my feet don’t slide on them when they’re wet or snowy or - heaving forbid - the car wash guys spray armor all when I tell them not to (they did exactly that to me a month ago .... ugh.) Again, just my preference.

You might be thinking of front windshield chipping easier than most. This I do believe is true and expensive. They do have shields for the front window like the stuff people put on their cell phones but I have heard it’s more trouble than it’s worth. Have not heard of the roof chipping to be a common thing.

"1. I live in Vancouver, a city where a lot of salt is spread on the streets in the winter. I've heard the Model 3 paint doesn't hold up too well, so I am going to either get the weather protection kit, or do a full wrap (for colour or for paint protection, depends on the colours)."

Sounds like you might be debating between a vinyl wrap (for color) or PPF. Keep in mind that while vinyl wraps offer really cool and unique colors, they do not protect your car nearly as much as PPF. PPF is self healing (minor to moderate scratches and swirls just disappear in the heat of the sun). Vinyl is not self-healing. Also PPF is over twice as thick as vinyl.

In addition to a partial or whole-car PPF, you can also do a ceramic coating on top of the PPF if you want maximum protection.

"2. Similar, I've heard bad things about the glass roof chipping, so a protective film sounds good there. Does anyone have any good or bad experiences with this?"

I have not heard of this being an issue with the roof glass, only the windshield. The best you can do is to apply either a spray sealant, glass coating, or ceramic coating to the glass to make it easier to clean and protect it from bird bombs and other contaminants.

As others have mentioned, you probably won't have an issue. But if needed, you can either get internal sunshades for the roof glass. Or you can get a ceramic tint. But usually ceramic tints are only necessary in very hot climates.

Biggest thing I’d tell you is around charging in winter... 300 miles really translates to about 200 miles. Just plan for that.

Reactions: Bwettt
I take them out, hose them down and put them back. Easiest cleaning mats I’ve ever had. I also have a hose next to the driveway - makes it simple.

I prefer a texture since my feet don’t slide on them when they’re wet or snowy or - heaving forbid - the car wash guys spray armor all when I tell them not to (they did exactly that to me a month ago .... ugh.) Again, just my preference.

the Tesla mats you just spray them with whatever you want, then wipe them off. Takes less time, you don’t have to remove them, and you don’t have to wait for them to dry

Thanks for all the responses everyone! I ended up buying the Tesla mats, which they had in stock at the pick-up location. Still looking into wraps vs ppf, and might do a protective seal on the windshield!
I picked up my car on Tuesday and absolutely love it! Thanks for all the positive wishes :)