TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Top wish on my grocery list: Side camera display on lane change

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by Silicon Desert, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Silicon Desert

Silicon Desert Active Member

When reading the various threads about rear camera display changes on V9 (can't show on top any more), some people indicate they use the rear camera for blind-spot monitoring, etc. The rear camera doesn't have a wide enough field of view for that, but I suppose it helps in some cases.

My hope (actually my top wish from a long list of feature wishes) is that Tesla would automatically display the appropriate side rear-facing camera on the center console whenever I activate that particular turn signal and keep the camera displayed until I turn off the lane change signal. For that matter, maybe even show that camera while the Tesla itself decides to change lanes on its on. Those cameras give a much better view than looking at a side mirror.

Out of habit, I'd still probably look in my side mirrors or maybe even turn my head, yet doesn't hurt to have one more input of visual information. And like most things, giving the user the ability to turn that feature on or off would be a plus.

• Like x 2
    • Love x 2
  2. ewoodrick

ewoodrick Well-Known Member

Something tells me that getting in a habit to look right when moving left isn't the greatest of ideas.

• Disagree x 1
  3. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

Audi seems to have video screens on the doors to show the side cameras, effectively replacing the side mirrors. I would guess the next gen S and X will have these. It doesn't seem to fit the current hardware.

• Helpful x 1
  4. spectrum

spectrum Member

I think this would make a lot of sense if it temporarily replaced the side of the instrument cluster (left or right side) while the respective turn signal is engaged. That would be amazing.

• Like x 4
  5. Silicon Desert

Yea, but that is not the way I would use it. Seems like an assumption I would use it that way. I would probably look at the display first as I activate the signal and then look left to confirm as I change lane. I'm just saying that one more piece of information can't hurt to have :D
    If some people at looking at the rear camera now to see blind spots before changing lanes, then it makes more sense to me for the car to be displaying the actual camera that is on that side of the car.

• Like x 1
  6. Silicon Desert

yes, that would be my preference too, yet I am not sure that the instrument cluster has that good of resolution or space. On the M3, folks unfortunately don't have an instrument cluster in front of the steering wheel which is something I would miss in that car.

7. sub

sub Active Member

How about this, enable the buttons on the steering wheel to activate a camera on the IC before turning on blinker and changing lanes. I’ve been watching the screen to confirm if cars are consistently being shown on IC and I haven’t seen one missed but I wouldn’t trust it at this point as my only confirmation.

8. spectrum

spectrum Member

The IC is large enough, you can use one-half of it temporarily to show that camera. That is still larger than most smartphones and would be slightly larger than our rear-view mirrors. As far as Model 3 goes — that's true, it would suck to miss that feature, but Model 3 is also a more nimble car with slightly better visibility than Model S or X, and although you'll miss the blinker-activated side cameras, you'll have $50,000 more in your bank account :D

9. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

I don’t like the Audi camera rear view mirror setup because the mirror screens are a bit too low.

• Like x 1
  10. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

That would be nice, but the US DOT will not approve replacing physical side mirrors with screens or projectors onto side windows. Also, they will not allow things like single side dimming headlights (dim to on-coming traffic only) and sequential turn signals that not huge (I am looking at you Mustang). DOT. :mad:

11. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

I'd like to be able to see the camera view. I don't feel like I need it on left lane changes so much, but I feel there is a huge blind spot I can't see into on the right. Looking over my shoulder in an X seems pointless since the entire rear quarter is blocked. In my truck I have a spot mirror on the left, but I can see easily on the right over my shoulder so no spot mirror. I would appreciate a little help from Tesla in the X.

BTW, am I the only person who doesn't like the dual level beveling they add to the mirrors? When a light is at the edge and crosses across the bevels, it seems to flash attracting my attention. In the same vein, the spoiler can make headlights look like they are flashing at me as it passes up and down in front of them. Does this thing actually do anything useful?

12. Yinn

Yinn Active Member

I was going to hit the like button, but then I realized I look right before I go left now anyway. I keep my rear view on and almost always already check it before I look left again to change lanes.

13. Scott Fairchild

I agree, but just put the light warning in the mirror like other cars do. Who wants to look as the dash sensor (which is periodically reliable) while making a lane change. I repeatedly have trouble with lane changing. How much can a few LEDS in the mirror cost? Worth it for safety.

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  14. quikshifter

quikshifter Member

I thought of this idea too. Wish they implement it.

15. gnuarm

gnuarm Model X 100 with 72 kW chargers

At this point I pretty much rely on the car to tell me if there are obstructions on lane changes. I find this car to have terrible visibility both in front and behind. When pulling into an intersection I have to crane my head to see around the massive front pillars. They easily can hide a pedestrian and can even hide a car if it is positioned just right and I don't take a moment to look rather than a quick glance.

The rear view is impossible so I just put on my turn signal and depend on the car to warn me. If I could get the car to stop trying to kill me I would have a lot more confidence in this. Just a couple of days ago the car took a hard right to the non-existent shoulder. It is instinctive to tighten up on the wheel and get control back when that happens, so no real danger I guess. My passenger didn't even realize it was the car and not me. I guess she thinks I'm doing all manner of goofy things when I drive. lol