Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOPFIT Customized Dash Cam - My Review/Videos/Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
tesla-mx-dashcam-banner.jpg

Thanks to this thread:
Model X Dash Cam Unboxing and Installation
... I purchased a dash cam for my Model X

You can find samples of my video footage on my YouTube:
Ari Comet
(go to the Automotive section)

Check out my FULL REVIEW here:
TESTED: TOPFIT Customized Dash Cam for Tesla Model X SUV

One thing I failed to mention in the review that might be pertinent here--- it does record audio, but the microphone is rather dull. You really have to crank the volume to hear the background audio during playback, but it is there if you need/want it.

Last edited:
Thanks so much for sharing this! Is the dash cam customized? It seems for model x, do they also have for model s?

They call it "customized" -- so that is what I called it--- but I didnt personally modify it.

They have a Model S version:
Amazon.com: Topfit Customized Car Dash Cam, Mini Driving Recorder,Rear View Mirror Camera for Tesla Model S After 2014 (Black): Car Electronics

This is the Model X version:
Amazon.com: TOPFIT Customized Car Dash Cam, Mini Driving Recorder,Car Dashboard Video Recorder Camera 32GB for Tesla Model X with Autopilot 1.0 System (Black): Car Electronics

This dashcam doesn't have the parking mode, right?

It does not record when the vehicle is parked, because it draws power from the rear view mirror which isn't powered when the car is off for the auto dimming-- so there is no 12v source at that location when the vehicle is off, sadly.

Bro, your youtube channel has been terminated for violating the rules.

Yep. They didnt like the Dash Cam videos. I'm not sure why--- I sent inquiry asking why--- but the only response so far is just a "we're looking into it" -- so who the eff knows! I moved the videos to my blog-- so follow the article link above, you'll find the videos are all there.

TMC wont let me edit my orig post or I'd remove the link to my YT page, sorry!

wow the video quality is pretty poor. i wish i would have seen the review before i purchased mine. i have yet to take a look at the videos that have been recorded from mine, but from yours, i can barely read any license plates during the night or even the day.

@b00st3d -- I just did a google search for videos of the BlackVue that everyone is so gung-ho for--- but frankly cant see a huge difference. Maybe its my eyes :p

From a few sites I saw it appears that the BV is 1080 whereas this unit is actually slightly higher. But I know that when it comes to cameras (still photos), it has more to do with the other stuff like lens than it does the pixel density.

Serious question here: Do you have any sites you can point me to for examples of competitive dash cams with better video quality? I realize this unit is more expensive than other units, but the plug-and-play nature appealed to me as I suspect it will many other folks. But I agree reading plates is virtually impossible, which is a bit of a bummer I suppose.

@b00st3d -- I just did a google search for videos of the BlackVue that everyone is so gung-ho for--- but frankly cant see a huge difference. Maybe its my eyes :p

From a few sites I saw it appears that the BV is 1080 whereas this unit is actually slightly higher. But I know that when it comes to cameras (still photos), it has more to do with the other stuff like lens than it does the pixel density.

Serious question here: Do you have any sites you can point me to for examples of competitive dash cams with better video quality? I realize this unit is more expensive than other units, but the plug-and-play nature appealed to me as I suspect it will many other folks. But I agree reading plates is virtually impossible, which is a bit of a bummer I suppose.

if you check out this channel on youtube : BlackboxMyCar
They have several videos of the blackvue and others and you can clearly read license plates even in dark environments. The plug and play feature and not having to do any wiring is what appealed to me as well which is why i purchased it! I am going to pull some of the videos off of mine today and take a look at the quality.

• Informative
Reactions: arijaycomet
It seems that one important use for dashcams is to photograph folks who hit an adjacent car while pulling out of parking spot and driving away. I wound up with a $8,000.00 repair bill this way. Seems important to get a dashcam that works while the car is parked.
How did u get an $8000 repair bill? Is that how high your deductible was? Or did you not have comprehensive insurance? I'm just wondering because I just got an S and am terrified of ever needing to file a claim.

Don't bother with this or any cheap Chinese dashcams. Stick with the better quality and bigger name Korean-made dashcams (e.g. Blackvue, Thinkware, Viofio...) instead. You can research and buy one of these at Our Dash Cam Collection. Most run in the $250-350, depending upon make/model, but offer much better video quality & use better components (Sony CMOS sensors) providing better day/night vision and all come with some level & combination of parking mode (e.g. time lapse, Shock detection, auto sutdown for battery protection..)

At $285-290 (Amazon -> AP! or AP2) this unit is definitely not worth the price because of the lesser video quality and no park protection whatsoever. The thing this has going for it is the plug-n-play form factor into the existing Model X mirror mount. But removing that mount you will find a constant 12V power wire underneath you can tap into and your done, after mounting one of these previously mentioned cameras to the window just below the mirror mount. And most are much smaller in size and hang down less then this one.

Don't bother with this or any cheap Chinese dashcams. Stick with the better quality and bigger name Korean-made dashcams (e.g. Blackvue, Thinkware, Viofio...) instead. You can research and buy one of these at Our Dash Cam Collection. Most run in the $250-350, depending upon make/model, but offer much better video quality & use better components (Sony CMOS sensors) providing better day/night vision and all come with some level & combination of parking mode (e.g. time lapse, Shock detection, auto sutdown for battery protection..)

At $285-290 (Amazon -> AP! or AP2) this unit is definitely not worth the price because of the lesser video quality and no park protection whatsoever. The thing this has going for it is the plug-n-play form factor into the existing Model X mirror mount. But removing that mount you will find a constant 12V power wire underneath you can tap into and your done, after mounting one of these previously mentioned cameras to the window just below the mirror mount. And most are much smaller in size and hang down less then this one.
So one does not need to remove the cable channel on the windshield to install a BlackVue with constant power? I saw all the DIY videos showing they removed the channel.

So one does not need to remove the cable channel on the windshield to install a BlackVue with constant power? I saw all the DIY videos showing they removed the channel.

I have a feeling that you dont as this camera utilizes the power and ground for the auto dimming rearview mirror. I think it would be possible to just tap into these same wires for any other aftermarket cam, but I am no professional installer. I would hope that someone else can chime in for us!

I have a feeling that you dont as this camera utilizes the power and ground for the auto dimming rearview mirror. I think it would be possible to just tap into these same wires for any other aftermarket cam, but I am no professional installer. I would hope that someone else can chime in for us!
the power for the auto-dimming mirror is not always-on, it is off when the car is off.