TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

TOPFIT Customized Dash Cam - My Review/Videos/Photos

Discussion in 'Model X' started by arijaycomet, Feb 17, 2017.

1. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

2. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

#2 arijaycomet, Feb 17, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
    One thing I failed to mention in the review that might be pertinent here--- it does record audio, but the microphone is rather dull. You really have to crank the volume to hear the background audio during playback, but it is there if you need/want it.

3. Luviza santos

Luviza santos New Member

Thanks so much for sharing this! Is the dash cam customized? It seems for model x, do they also have for model s?

Attached Files:

4. MasterT

MasterT Member

This dashcam doesn't have the parking mode, right?

5. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

They call it "customized" -- so that is what I called it--- but I didnt personally modify it.

They have a Model S version:
    Amazon.com: Topfit Customized Car Dash Cam, Mini Driving Recorder,Rear View Mirror Camera for Tesla Model S After 2014 (Black): Car Electronics

This is the Model X version:
    Amazon.com: TOPFIT Customized Car Dash Cam, Mini Driving Recorder,Car Dashboard Video Recorder Camera 32GB for Tesla Model X with Autopilot 1.0 System (Black): Car Electronics

It does not record when the vehicle is parked, because it draws power from the rear view mirror which isn't powered when the car is off for the auto dimming-- so there is no 12v source at that location when the vehicle is off, sadly.

6. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

7. Racerx22b

Racerx22b Member

Bro, your youtube channel has been terminated for violating the rules.

8. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

Yep. They didnt like the Dash Cam videos. I'm not sure why--- I sent inquiry asking why--- but the only response so far is just a "we're looking into it" -- so who the eff knows! I moved the videos to my blog-- so follow the article link above, you'll find the videos are all there.

TMC wont let me edit my orig post or I'd remove the link to my YT page, sorry!

9. b00st3d

b00st3d Member

wow the video quality is pretty poor. i wish i would have seen the review before i purchased mine. i have yet to take a look at the videos that have been recorded from mine, but from yours, i can barely read any license plates during the night or even the day.

10. arijaycomet

arijaycomet Member

@b00st3d -- I just did a google search for videos of the BlackVue that everyone is so gung-ho for--- but frankly cant see a huge difference. Maybe its my eyes :p

From a few sites I saw it appears that the BV is 1080 whereas this unit is actually slightly higher. But I know that when it comes to cameras (still photos), it has more to do with the other stuff like lens than it does the pixel density.

Serious question here: Do you have any sites you can point me to for examples of competitive dash cams with better video quality? I realize this unit is more expensive than other units, but the plug-and-play nature appealed to me as I suspect it will many other folks. But I agree reading plates is virtually impossible, which is a bit of a bummer I suppose.

11. b00st3d

b00st3d Member

if you check out this channel on youtube : BlackboxMyCar
    They have several videos of the blackvue and others and you can clearly read license plates even in dark environments. The plug and play feature and not having to do any wiring is what appealed to me as well which is why i purchased it! I am going to pull some of the videos off of mine today and take a look at the quality.

• Informative x 1
  12. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

What kind of version do you have?

13. guipingfang

guipingfang Member

Yes,when your car is stop to run,That means it does not in electricity,so the dash cam is not work normally.

14. volkerbradley

volkerbradley Member

It seems that one important use for dashcams is to photograph folks who hit an adjacent car while pulling out of parking spot and driving away. I wound up with a $8,000.00 repair bill this way. Seems important to get a dashcam that works while the car is parked.

• Like x 1
  15. allhands

allhands Member

How did u get an $8000 repair bill? Is that how high your deductible was? Or did you not have comprehensive insurance? I'm just wondering because I just got an S and am terrified of ever needing to file a claim.

16. M.V.P.

M.V.P. Member

Don't bother with this or any cheap Chinese dashcams. Stick with the better quality and bigger name Korean-made dashcams (e.g. Blackvue, Thinkware, Viofio...) instead. You can research and buy one of these at Our Dash Cam Collection. Most run in the $250-350, depending upon make/model, but offer much better video quality & use better components (Sony CMOS sensors) providing better day/night vision and all come with some level & combination of parking mode (e.g. time lapse, Shock detection, auto sutdown for battery protection..)

At $285-290 (Amazon -> AP! or AP2) this unit is definitely not worth the price because of the lesser video quality and no park protection whatsoever. The thing this has going for it is the plug-n-play form factor into the existing Model X mirror mount. But removing that mount you will find a constant 12V power wire underneath you can tap into and your done, after mounting one of these previously mentioned cameras to the window just below the mirror mount. And most are much smaller in size and hang down less then this one.

17. outie

outie Active Member

So one does not need to remove the cable channel on the windshield to install a BlackVue with constant power? I saw all the DIY videos showing they removed the channel.

18. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Well, I ave not seen any 4K blackVues to date, care to enlighten me?

Resolution-wise this chinese thing is pretty much on par with BlackVues I think.

19. b00st3d

b00st3d Member

I have a feeling that you dont as this camera utilizes the power and ground for the auto dimming rearview mirror. I think it would be possible to just tap into these same wires for any other aftermarket cam, but I am no professional installer. I would hope that someone else can chime in for us!

20. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

the power for the auto-dimming mirror is not always-on, it is off when the car is off.