Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TOPFIT Customized Dash Cam - My Review/Videos/Photos

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So one does not need to remove the cable channel on the windshield to install a BlackVue with constant power? I saw all the DIY videos showing they removed the channel.
Correct, no need to remove the factory cable channel or run a second channel, unless you plan on installing a read camera, in which case you will need to run a video cable for that second camera to the back of the car..

• Informative
Reactions: outie
Well, I ave not seen any 4K blackVues to date, care to enlighten me?

Resolution-wise this chinese thing is pretty much on par with BlackVues I think.

Video quality is less about 1080p or 4K resolution and more about bit rate, especially at higher vehicle speed & night vision. Anything approaching the 8-10 bps rates are what you want which is a direct function of the image processor being used. I've seen even 720p cameras with 10bps rates outperform 1080p cameras with more inferior components.

Well, I ave not seen any 4K blackVues to date, care to enlighten me?

Resolution-wise this chinese thing is pretty much on par with BlackVues I think.

If you can easily read passing license plates at night then it's of the same quality. And even if you didn't want or need a parking mode feature you've paid the same price as a mid-range Blackvue camera that does have an outstanding parking mode. And most people install dashcams to capture events when they are not in the car in addition to capturing moving accident events.

Well, you only paid the same as blackvue if your installation was free which is often not the case.
I just checked and the video rate on this cam is 10.12 Mbit/s.
The internals of these cams are pretty much the same nowadays, but blackvue has it's own downsides, e.g. slow startup times (less important if it's on all the time of course).
The parking mode is a gimmick - just have the power on all the time and get the parking mode for free (At the expense of more storage used, I guess). I don't know how you know most people value this since I certainly don't. Also you need at least 4 of them (one for each side) to have complete coverage.

I just contacted Topfit, as I was about to install it for my X (AP2) and read reports that the new English firmware bricked some. I wanted to be sure...

Their response is quite amazing!

Yes, we must admitted this dash cam is not perfect, always with lots of bugs. Our Research and Develpment Department istrying to re-designing now.
I do suggset you use Chinese version now. I will record your item need to be re-sent again when we get the finished product.
Please try to use it even if it was not well.

This is from the manufacturer "TopFit" aka "Teslafans". If anyone needs her e-mail address, send me a PM.

They also told me they stopped selling it for AP2 in the X - only the versions for S and AP1 are for sale.

I just installed it on my X 100D without doing the firmware upgrade (as it bricked many people's devices). The install is easy and the fact that you don't have to make any holes or split cables is a big plus.
And it works fine - I find the resolution satisfactory when viewing on a computer. The date/time stamp only works if you launch the app every time before driving. Which of course I don't - but then again the time stamp isn't of the greatest importance. Viewing on the app itself, both live and recorded, either doesn't work or has terrible frame skipping, but why would you. The app itself lets you switch off the Chinese voice prompts as well.
I changed the sd card with a 200 GB one (formatted to FAT32 using internet tools you can find), and it woks just fine. It's only a pity that every video sequence is cut to a length of 1 min (about 90 MB in the highest resolution).

All in all, it's a good product if you don't need a rear dash cam and if you don't need recording while the car is off. I wonder what else is wrong with it as per the e-mail of the manufacturer - but I was told they would send me a new one soon.

• Informative
Reactions: Asterix777
Some other e-mail from the manufacturer. They really are not doing so well :)

our Brand is Topfit. The store name is Teslafans.
So sorry for the inconvenience we bring to you.
As to the dash cam, so sorry that we are improving it. The first batch was ok when we test it on our model x so we push it on the market. We have to admit that There are lots of bugs truly . and there are defective one. But some tesla owners are like the cam so much which we can judge from the reviews.
You can try to install it. But i am not sure will it ok or not. And you can also wait for our new one. But we need some more time to develop it. Maybe one month. Actually we had opened four mold in our factory, one for model s 1.0, on for model s 2.0, one for model x 1.0, one for model x 2.0. These mold cost us too much money. To be frankly, Our loss is great for these Customized dash cam, the mold cost is huge and we keep exchange for those who get defective ones.
To renew it may need some more time, please wait with some patient. So sorry. Hope you can understand us.
Or do you have some better idea, please also share with us, Thanks.

Some other e-mail from the manufacturer. They really are not doing so well :)

our Brand is Topfit. The store name is Teslafans.
So sorry for the inconvenience we bring to you.
As to the dash cam, so sorry that we are improving it. The first batch was ok when we test it on our model x so we push it on the market. We have to admit that There are lots of bugs truly . and there are defective one. But some tesla owners are like the cam so much which we can judge from the reviews.
You can try to install it. But i am not sure will it ok or not. And you can also wait for our new one. But we need some more time to develop it. Maybe one month. Actually we had opened four mold in our factory, one for model s 1.0, on for model s 2.0, one for model x 1.0, one for model x 2.0. These mold cost us too much money. To be frankly, Our loss is great for these Customized dash cam, the mold cost is huge and we keep exchange for those who get defective ones.
To renew it may need some more time, please wait with some patient. So sorry. Hope you can understand us.
Or do you have some better idea, please also share with us, Thanks.

Have them open source the FW and post it on Git Hub! Let the community help create a better product. They will sell more units and recoup the molding costs.

Have them open source the FW and post it on Git Hub! Let the community help create a better product. They will sell more units and recoup the molding costs.
Can anyone recommend a good Android app for this cam? AIT Smart Cam app that they list in the manual keeps crashing and is not very usable for a non-Chinese speaker - even after switching the language option to English - a lot of menus are still in Chinese.

Reactions: Lodo1000
Well, you only paid the same as blackvue if your installation was free which is often not the case.
I just checked and the video rate on this cam is 10.12 Mbit/s.
The internals of these cams are pretty much the same nowadays, but blackvue has it's own downsides, e.g. slow startup times (less important if it's on all the time of course).
The parking mode is a gimmick - just have the power on all the time and get the parking mode for free (At the expense of more storage used, I guess). I don't know how you know most people value this since I certainly don't. Also you need at least 4 of them (one for each side) to have complete coverage.

I have a DDPai Mini dashcam with parking mode that switches automatically to 1 minute / frame (fast motion) after 10 mins. of not sensing car motion. It automatically switches back to a normal recording rate if the G-Sensor detects anything. This saves SD card space considerably and conserves power as well. I have captured license plates of people backing into me in a parking lots and a few instances of valets just screwing around in my car (but no joy rides, thankfully). You can also turn the "fast-motion" park feature off to save even more SD card space and the camera then just comes on into normal record mode using the G-Sensor (High/Medium/Low sensitivity) setting when the car is impacted. So parking mode for me has been invaluable and is the main feature on my list.

And this camera also comes with WiFi (very good app), decent night vision, 128MB SD Card support, small profile, good/very good overall image quality and low power consumption...all for around $60-65. That's cheap enough to buy 2, install each front & rear and still have spent about 1/2 as much as most of the Blackvue, Thinkware or Blacksys single or dual camera set ups.

Check it out.

I have a DDPai Mini dashcam with parking mode that switches automatically to 1 minute / frame (fast motion) after 10 mins
Well, that does not really work if it's on a line that is off when the car is off (like the cam discussed here that is tapping into rearview mirror power).
What's the bitrate and the actual picture size on the DDPai you are linking to? Nowadays 1080p is kind of low and while not quite 4K lots of cameras have a bigger picture by a bit. This topfit here is 2304x1296 @ ~10Mbit/s

I use the topfit model x AP2 with new English firmware.
The service and contact with teslafan is really very good.
Having some start-up issues, I received a new firmware.

With the new firmware it works pretty well, nevertheless still some times I discover that the cam is off, on road. I tried many times to turn of and on the car, and the cam started correctly.
I am unable to reproduce the issue in order to feedback something usable to fix it.
I tried a lot of thing, but each time the cam started correctly.

Does anyone experience the same issue and can help to find the root cause?
This case does not happen very often, nevertheless Murfy’s law says…

When mine starts it audibly says that it's starting the recording, as such I imagine I'd notice when it does not record.
Have not happened so far here (or at least not that I noticed).
And I agree the service is great.