Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TopFit Model S AP1 Dashcams (2)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I recently replaced my 2016 AP1 Model S with a new one, so I have two dashcams I can no longer use (I'll explain why I have two in a minute). These dashcams are only compatible with AP1 cars, and my new one has EAP.

This particular model is no longer sold, but here's a link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01FTYU70Y. Note that these dashcams are not compatible with Model X, only Model S. Here's a photo from the Amazon ad that shows what the dashcam looks like installed:
Screen Shot 2019-02-18 at 5.21.02 PM.png

These dashcams install pretty easily into the rear-view mirror housing without any tools or extra wiring, and are not noticeable once installed. The resolution is very good, and you can take photos by waving your hand next to the dashcam. They come with a 32GB microSDHC card, and although that's the maximum size recommended by TopFit, I was able to use a 128GB card with no problems. There's a mobile app that you use to configure the camera and view recordings. I liked this dashcam enough to buy the Model S EAP version for my new car.

The reason I have two: the first one I received had an overly-sensitive motion sensor for the photo feature, so it would occasionally take photos when I didn't mean to. TopFit sent me a replacement dashcam and asked me to keep the old one since it cost too much to ship back to China. When I tried to install the replacement unit, one of the wires broke, so I reinstalled the original one. TopFit sent me a new set of wires, but it needs to be soldered onto the unit, which isn't in my skill set. The overly-sensitive motion sensor didn't really bother me, so I just kept using the original dashcam rather than finding someone who could replace the wires in the new one.

I paid about $250 for the dashcam, and I used it for 16 months. The one with the broken wire was never used. I'll sell either one for $125, in original packaging, including shipping in the continental US. If you pay for shipping or pick it up in person (southeast Florida) I'll sell for $100.

I'm interested, but a couple questions. Amazon mentions a GPS antenna, is that included? Also, the wires need to get soldered to the board itself or just spliced in? Thanks

I didn't know about a GPS function until you asked about it. I now see that the current ad on Amazon mentions it. My dashcams did not include that option, either does the new one I bought for my new Model S.

The dashcam that I actually used doesn't require any soldering or splicing to install. You just insert the dashcam wires into one of the plugs inside the mirror housing. The video below shows the installation process -- it's for a different brand of dashcam, but it appears to be a clone of the TopFit with the same installation:

If you were asking about the dashcam with the broken lead, you might be able to repair that by splicing the broken wire rather than soldering the replacement wiring unit into the dashcam. Let me know if that's what you mean and I post a couple of pictures.

Yes, I was wondering about the repair itself, whether I could just splice it in. If you have a picture, I can tell if it’s an easy fix

Here are some photos that will give you an idea:

This first one shows the wire with the broken lead.

fullsizeoutput_3dba.jpeg

This second one shows the replacement wiring unit that TopFit sent me when I told them I broke the wire. It looks like it should just plug in to the dashcam unit.

fullsizeoutput_2647.jpeg

This third one shows where the wiring unit attaches to the dashcam unit. Although the wiring unit plugs in, you can't access the plug without doing some disassembly, which might require soldering in order to re-assemble.

fullsizeoutput_2646.jpeg

It would probably be easier to splice a new lead onto the broken wire. Before TopFit sent me the replacement wiring unit, I looked for leads that I could attach to the broken wire, but didn't find anything suitable, but you could cannibalize the replacement wires. When I got the replacement wiring unit and saw what was involved in fixing it, I decided to just live with the original dashcam that was already installed, since it was fine except for the occasional unwanted photo.

The only benefit to buying to unit with the broken wire is that it's never been used, but I'm asking the same price for each unit and the used one was only used for 16 months. Of course, some people just like a challenge. :)