TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Topic reply notifications not working properly

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by JRP3, Dec 24, 2009.

1. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

As of yesterday the links in most of the new reply email notifications no longer brings me to the last unread post but deposits me somewhere in the middle of the thread. Anyone else experiencing this problem?

2. dpeilow

dpeilow Moderator

I don't use them, but MPT applied an emergency security patch yesterday, so we will take a look at that first.

Thanks for letting us know.

3. woof

woof Model S #P683 Blue 85 kWh

I was seeing the same thing with the "Goto New Posts" buttons. When I went to post here to report it, I realized I was no longer logged in. Once I logged in, it started working correctly.

Perhaps the cookies the system uses to figure out what the "last seen message" is depends on your logged in status? When I was logged out it was sending me to messages around mid October, which might have been the last time I was logged out.

4. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Seems like I have to re-log in every few minutes now.

5. shark2k

shark2k Member

I've had a weird issue where when I come to the site I'm not shown as logged in, but once I click and thread topic and go to another page I'm shown as logged in (and am logged in). I've tried clearing my cookies and all that jazz, but nothing has worked. Not really a problem like what you said because I'm at least logged in still.

-Shark2k

6. JRP3

JRP3 Hyperactive Member

Seems to be working fine for me now. Thinking back I may have had to log in again to start this thread, so maybe that was somehow related.

7. mpt

mpt Electrics are back

It turns out that the patch was related to the cookies used and so part of the patch invalidated everyones current auth cookie triggering the need to log in.

vB stores your last viewed information in the db against your user credentials, log off and it doesn't know where to look.

vfx: if you're logging in it may be that you're loosing that auth cookie, are you using one browser with cookies enabled?

I have noticed that the auth cookie is time limited forceing an occasional log in.

Thanks again all for reporting in.