Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Topup / phantom charge

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ours is sleeping, but it does wake up regularly to do a topup charge every few hours -- not sure if this is normal, first time I have had car plugged in for extended period of time after charging had completed.

Its doing 25 mins here, 5 mins there, another 3 mins there.

Not braved the weather and done a reboot yet.

View attachment 492917

Following on from a stale old thread, I thought that I would follow on here regarding phantom top up charges.

When I originally posted, I had thought that it was topping up to keep battery at set charge limit. However, today I did a solar PV topup for a couple of hours to 55% SOC. That completed at 14:57 / 55%. I then reduced the charge limit to 50% to specifically prevent these little top ups previously noticed when solar may not have covered the full power draw. So it was my surprise that at 15:31 I get a charge complete at 55% notification - oddly no associated charge start notification. It must have been quite brief as my 5 minute data logger failed to detect it at 15:30 but it draw enough to make a small blip on the 5 minute average 15:30-15:35.

Double checking app and TeslaFi, charge limit was as expected 50%. So not a case of keeping battery topped up to 55%.

So what's going on then? The only thing I can think of is some form of pre conditioning kicking in, but with cabin overheat controls turned off, so you might think that it wouldn't do any form of conditioning/cooling.

Looks like mine was doing similar last night - charging started at 1am and finished around 4:45

then it took a slurp of power at 5:45 and another slightly longer one just before 7am

20200506.png

Reactions: MrBadger