TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Topup / phantom charge

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by VanillaAir_UK, May 6, 2020.

1. VanillaAir_UK

VanillaAir_UK Moderator UK and Ireland

Following on from a stale old thread, I thought that I would follow on here regarding phantom top up charges.

When I originally posted, I had thought that it was topping up to keep battery at set charge limit. However, today I did a solar PV topup for a couple of hours to 55% SOC. That completed at 14:57 / 55%. I then reduced the charge limit to 50% to specifically prevent these little top ups previously noticed when solar may not have covered the full power draw. So it was my surprise that at 15:31 I get a charge complete at 55% notification - oddly no associated charge start notification. It must have been quite brief as my 5 minute data logger failed to detect it at 15:30 but it draw enough to make a small blip on the 5 minute average 15:30-15:35.

Double checking app and TeslaFi, charge limit was as expected 50%. So not a case of keeping battery topped up to 55%.

So what's going on then? The only thing I can think of is some form of pre conditioning kicking in, but with cabin overheat controls turned off, so you might think that it wouldn't do any form of conditioning/cooling.

2. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Topping up its 12v perhaps.

3. VanillaAir_UK

Follow on, just checked TeslaFi, no charge notification but 15:31 coincided with a sleep / idle transition. It had only been snoozing for 4 minutes having previously been idle for 29 minutes since end of expected charge.

4. VanillaAir_UK

Hmmm, I wonder if that would explain sleep/idle cycling and may be indicative of a 12v battery issue that requires frequent topups. Oddly, this only happens during several daylight hours. It gets a good old sleep at night although it was a bit of an insomniac last night but I guess it was busy playing lets download 2020.12.11.2.

5. NorfolkMustard

NorfolkMustard Active Member

Looks like mine was doing similar last night - charging started at 1am and finished around 4:45

then it took a slurp of power at 5:45 and another slightly longer one just before 7am

[​IMG]

• Like x 1