Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tore up the cargo area

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I noticed a lot of tire and road noise coming over the rear seat from the wheel wells and cargo floor when I sat in the back seat. Because the car is used in a limousine service, I wanted the customers to have the full benefit of the Model S quiet ride.So we tore up the carpets and put in some noise insulating foam over the floor and around the wheel wells. We even put some foam in the rear doors because the shop said that the noise was coming from the body panels into the doors. Now, even the drivers say they can hear the difference, and we can now hear some front tire noise coming through the firewall. That is the next project.
Cargo1.JPG
Cargo2.JPG

Philip Macafee

I'll back you up, markb1, so nobody thinks you are crazy...it was definitely an X when he first posted it!

Philip, thanks for posting pictures. Any chance you measured db before and after? No big deal, just curious.

Thanks for all the posts. Somehow I did not get the notifications about the follow up posts so I didn't know to reply.

1. No one is crazy except my web guy. We did have the wrong pic, made the change but mislabeled the correct photo. It was wrong in our mobile device web page too. Markb1 sent a note to let us know.

2. Did not take any sound readings before hand. I am lucky enough to be drinking buddies with a Tesla engineer and when I showed him the pics over a couple of bourbons in SF he whipped out his IPhone and showed me a sound app that might have helped. So when he saw the photo of the left side, he said "don't cut green cable, oooh careful with the green cable". Ha ha.

3. The blue foam is factory original, so there is some attempt to limit noise. There is no foam in the doors and the shop owner (who also now wants 1-maybe-2 Teslas for he and his wife) took another ride yesterday to try and pinpoint the source of front wheel noise. He sat up front while I drove and really couldn't hear much. But from the driver's seat I could hear road noise coming up from the floor and firewall. I thought that if only the driver could hear it so what, paying passengers are not affected. But it is going in the shop this morning for front door foam and front wheel well foam. Two hours of labor and $30 of foam is worth the gamble.

4. No other photos to speak of. The work was being done in a spray booth with lights and I took a couple of shots that had some glare, so they turned out the lights and I reshot the ones I posted.

5. Everything went back together fine, cannot tell the work was done. The shop I go to specializes in the livery industry, they even built stretch sedans for a while. They can do ANYTHING, laser lights, built in bars, etc. So I am very comfortable having them tear things apart and put them back together. They have a full upholstery shop, transmission rebuilding etc, very big operation and 3 blocks from our office. Now we have to design a holder for 2 bottled waters plus tissue dispenser for the rear.

Thanks for all the posts. Somehow I did not get the notifications about the follow up posts so I didn't know to reply.

3. The blue foam is factory original, so there is some attempt to limit noise. There is no foam in the doors and the shop owner (who also now wants 1-maybe-2 Teslas for he and his wife) took another ride yesterday to try and pinpoint the source of front wheel noise. He sat up front while I drove and really couldn't hear much. But from the driver's seat I could hear road noise coming up from the floor and firewall. I thought that if only the driver could hear it so what, paying passengers are not affected. But it is going in the shop this morning for front door foam and front wheel well foam. Two hours of labor and $30 of foam is worth the gamble.

Improving sound isolation looks very interesting, probably it will be among first things I will do with mine TMS when it arrives to my garage (in Norway).

Could you provide more of practical information, like:

-which type of foam you installed?
-How foam was applied, Glued or did you use straps?

Also would be nice with more pictures of the doors, to see where/how the foam was applied.

Thanks in advance!

Do you think the foam would insulate against cold as well? I've noticed in the winter the doors get really cold and probably are a large source of heat loss from the cabin.

This thread is so old, you'll probably have to PM the guy. But post the response here, because I'm curious too!
I wonder if this kind of modification messes with one's warranty or affects the safety in any way. I'd like to do this if it's not going to mess anything up.

I am the owner of a P85+ too, and the noise from the Wheels is quiet annoying. I can see that this thread has been sleeping for some time, but hope to get it to live again. Do any of you have experience in reducing the wheel/road noise? I need advise, Pictures how and where to attack the problem, and some good advice regarding materials used.

My car was delivered mid march 2014.