Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone used one of this hitches (or any other hitch) to haul a dirt bike? About 210 lbs combined weight including the carrier.

I'm interested in knowing this too. I have only seen bike carriers so far. Given the weight of a couple of bikes on a rack, I would think that a carrier on wheels should be fairly easy, being that there's no torque involved.

I sent in an email to Torklift and they said 200 lbs maximum tongue weight, so no motorcycle racks. They also said the hitch could pull 2000 lbs, but that Tesla doesn't recommend any trailers.

So, anyone have experienced pulling trailers with the Model S?

Well, there is this...

Model_S_SC2.jpg

2,410-Mile Trailer-Towing Trip - Virginia to Palm Beach Back, Added Pictures | Forums | Tesla Motors

and this...

tesla-tractor.jpg

Gas 2 | What is the future of fuel? Whats next? Since 2007, Gas 2 has covered a rapidly changing world coming to terms with its oil addiction.

Reactions: zambono
Can anyone with the hitch installed weigh in on how it's holding up ie: the under panel. I know the installer cuts a hole in the underside to install the actual hitch and while it's on there's a pretty good side hole there. Has anyone had any problems with rusting or debris getting inside that could hurt the car? I spoke with the installer at torklift central here in washington over the weekend and he said it could he couldn't confirm one way or another. He said it's purely just cosmetic but then said it does leave a pretty good size hole but didn't know where the hole fed to. Anyone know?

Can anyone with the hitch installed weigh in on how it's holding up ie: the under panel. I know the installer cuts a hole in the underside to install the actual hitch and while it's on there's a pretty good side hole there. Has anyone had any problems with rusting or debris getting inside that could hurt the car? I spoke with the installer at torklift central here in washington over the weekend and he said it could he couldn't confirm one way or another. He said it's purely just cosmetic but then said it does leave a pretty good size hole but didn't know where the hole fed to. Anyone know?

Good questions. I think the only way I could tell what is happening in there, is to remove the bumper. Going by the video, there really isn't anything inside there to worry about. Then again, I'm in drought plagued So. Cal. You are in a much wetter climate.
Now, I personally keep the hitch removed, with the cover plate on (extra charge for this part), most of the time. The main reason is that it hits bottom on certain dips. Especially so if a rack is attached. With this cover on, I can't imagine that there is a big issue.

Good questions. I think the only way I could tell what is happening in there, is to remove the bumper. Going by the video, there really isn't anything inside there to worry about. Then again, I'm in drought plagued So. Cal. You are in a much wetter climate.
Now, I personally keep the hitch removed, with the cover plate on (extra charge for this part), most of the time. The main reason is that it hits bottom on certain dips. Especially so if a rack is attached. With this cover on, I can't imagine that there is a big issue.

Exactly! +1 except northern CA :)

HI
Just ordered my Model S and included the parking sensor option
I have ordered and plan to install the Ecohitch and use a Thule Vertex 2 bike carrier.

The question is will the bike interfere with the operation of the parking sensors?
If not can the distance the sensors are calibrated be changed to compensate for the added bike carrier (I figure an extra 2')

Thanks

I picked up an adapter at my local service center today (for charging) and after torklift telling me the plastic piece that they cut off is merely just a "vanity" piece the service center told me that the plastic piece that is cut off the bumper is actually sealing up the drive train and motor. Both of these are sealed themselves but the Eco hitch even with cover on dirt and dust can still get in there and over time could cause problems and they caution any aftermarket products to our vehicles. So bummed.

I picked up an adapter at my local service center today (for charging) and after torklift telling me the plastic piece that they cut off is merely just a "vanity" piece the service center told me that the plastic piece that is cut off the bumper is actually sealing up the drive train and motor. Both of these are sealed themselves but the Eco hitch even with cover on dirt and dust can still get in there and over time could cause problems and they caution any aftermarket products to our vehicles. So bummed.

As I understand they need to cut a 4" hole to gain access to bolt the hitch on to the car, once this is done why would you need to access this area again?
If that is the case why not just replace the cutout after the hitch is installed.
If they use a 4" hole saw just stick the cutout back and silicone it in place.

> even with cover on dirt and dust can still get in there and over time could cause problems and they caution any aftermarket products to our vehicles. So bummed. [Alys...79]

Yes, I was *shocked* to discover pounds of gravel, dried mud and dust as I removed bottom panels, wheel liners & rear bumper cover from my MS. :biggrin:

Worry? A bit of extra ventilation back there is no problem. What *IS A PROBLEM* would be crossing running streams or ponds one might find seasonally on rural roads. Walk these yourself carefully before driving across to be sure motor/inverter and battery pack both do not get immersed.
--

As I understand they need to cut a 4" hole to gain access to bolt the hitch on to the car, once this is done why would you need to access this area again?
If that is the case why not just replace the cutout after the hitch is installed.
If they use a 4" hole saw just stick the cutout back and silicone it in place.

This is a removable hitch and you need that space to access the bolt.

Thanks. Just one more thing. Do you need a body shop to install it?

I did the install myself this past weekend. A little background on me is that I have worked on cars for the better part of 11 years as a hobby. With that being said I have always hated doing body work. All in all the Tesla rear end came apart very easily and the install went along without any hitches (bah dum dum). I will say that I took my time to make sure that I did everything per the instructions (which were very straight forward) and the entire install took me 6 hours (including a 30 minute trip to lowes to buy a 10mm deep socket as a replacement for one that I managed to lose during the installation process).

Everything went back together easily and the biggest issue was that the hitch receiver adapter (Aaron speaks to it and has pics of it above "Here's what the end of the hitch looks like...") didn't fit into the hitch itself :(. TorkLift was super responsive and they are sending me out another one to replace it.

I did the install with no lift, no jacks, and by myself. With two people and a lift the installation would go a bit faster but body work is time consuming and rushing body work always leads to more pain. If I were to have to do it again I could probably shave about 2 hours off easily.

I plan to use this for towing my race motorcyle to the track. Once I do the wiring for the trailer lights I will post up range feedback when towing about 700lbs behind me (bike is 400lbs and the trailer is 300lbs)

Edit: corrected for trailer weight

Last edited:
Try to find a reputable place to get my Eco Hitch Installed

Eco Hitch recommended one place right next to me so I had made the appointment two days ago then waited half an hour as the owner looked and looked at the car then.... "sorry just not comfortable installing the hitch".
He has been in the business for 25 years so it was not lack of experience he just felt it was too much liability working on the car.

(Tesla Dania Beach said no) so I am gonna call a couple of other Tesla locations but don't hold out much hope.

Does anyone have any recommendations anywhere in Florida as I do not mind driving:biggrin:

I would prefer someplace that has actually installed one on a Tesla but that may asking too much

> Try to find a reputable place to get my Eco Hitch Installed [Brightonuk]

Reminder to anyone NOT to use the INSTRUCTIONS provided by EcoHitch (their PDF file). Totally out of sequence and wrong info, etc etc. You would be better off just winging it yourself, assuming you have basic skills and tools. Hey, it ain't Rocket Science.

Since the rear wheels must be off the car you can use a pair of floor jacks with solid wood inserts holding it up. Not relying on hydraulic pressure to keep car off ground.
--

>

Reminder to anyone NOT to use the INSTRUCTIONS provided by EcoHitch (their PDF file). Totally out of sequence and wrong info, etc etc. You would be better off just winging it yourself, assuming you have basic skills and tools. Hey, it ain't Rocket Science.

Since the rear wheels must be off the car you can use a pair of floor jacks with solid wood inserts holding it up. Not relying on hydraulic pressure to keep car off ground.
--

That's just great :cursing: cant find any body shop willing to do it now you tell me the instructions are wrong.
It may not be rocket science to you (Quantum Physics is not my bag) but I aint about to install my first hitch (and cut a huge hole) in my new $100k+ car just to see if I can do it.:scared:

I would prefer to leave it to someone who has a little more experience than me (maybe Steven Hawking has a few hours free this weekend):confused:

Ok enough with the excessive use of emoticon's:tongue:

Starting NOW!:wink:

OK Starting....Now

Last edited: