Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Eco Hitch Installed - Pictures

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just thought I'd share our pic. We've been using the torklift hitch for about a year for our 2 single bikes or for the tandem. Maybe it has been said somewhere in 99 posts but beware of driveway or roadways that have steep ramps. The hitch will drag and that is a very disconcerting feeling ... Still, we are avid cyclists and need the bike rack. The camera distortion makes it look like the tandem is much wider than it is. The bike is only 8" wider than the car.

View attachment 84357

Thanks for posting! Glad to see you’re putting the hitch to good use : )

By any chance are you planning on attending TMC Connect this year?

TMC Connect

We are looking for a Model S owner with our EcoHitch installed to have their car displayed at our booth at the event. Would love to have your car there if you might be able to make it. Please PM us if you’re interested.

Just finished towing my motorcycle and trailer about 70 miles. All said and done, I was impressed with how much energy the car didn't use. Over the 70 miles I averaged 302 wh/mi with mixed highway and surface roads.

The car pulled strong with no issues and the hitch was very taught with no clunking or extra play. All in all it is a very good design.

@nrcooled,

I notice you have a trailer connected to your hitch, so I'm assuming you wired up the lights on it? Could you please tell me how you went about doing that? Did you just hunt for the three necessary wires (+ power) and use an isolator box?

Thanks!

Rob

@nrcooled,

I notice you have a trailer connected to your hitch, so I'm assuming you wired up the lights on it? Could you please tell me how you went about doing that? Did you just hunt for the three necessary wires (+ power) and use an isolator box?

Thanks!

Rob
Use the thread below. Wycolo saved me tons of time on the wiring. Fair warning: TM has changed the color of the wires so YMMV.

Help: Wiring a harness for a trailer

has anyone had any push back from tesla for any warranty work since installing the hitch?

I have also heard that in a few instances the tesla service actually installed the hitch... anyone have it installed by tesla?

has anyone had any push back from tesla for any warranty work since installing the hitch?

I have also heard that in a few instances the tesla service actually installed the hitch... anyone have it installed by tesla?

Some SCs used to install them - Watertown MA did mine back in 2013 - but I believe none do now. I haven't had any issues with the rear end other than moisture in the reverse lights, but don't expect it to be an issue, particularly as Tesla installed it.

Here's my Ecohitch with my hand built carbon fiber rack (weighs about 12 pounds) and my Carbontrikes Race SL on board. The Ecohitch is a great design.

DSC_6832.JPG

DSC_68561.JPG

DSC_6580.jpg

Warranty can only be voided if failure is caused by towing. According to a Automotive Attorney I know, burden of Proof is upon Tesla to prove the failure was a result of towing.

Which, (and he concurs) just became more difficult. Since the Model X is factory capable of towing, uses the same basic subframe, AND motors, a claim of Drive Unit failure due to towing is a long shot, because if towing with a S causes DU Failure, then Tesla should not be rating the X for towing.

• Informative
Reactions: Xenoilphobe
Torklift Ecohitch on my S. I had the Torklift folks in Kent WA do the install and it happened in a couple of hours, no muss, no fuss. Highly recommend! I'm so far very happy with the result and can now load the bikes onto my Northshore Racks NSR-2 system. Super-fast load and unload!

Ecohitch and NSR-2.jpg