TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Torklift Central Stealth EcoHitch for Model 3

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by everman, Apr 25, 2018.

1. everman

everman Member

#1 everman, Apr 25, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2018
    Hey TMC,

Just got the EcoHitch for the Model 3 installed today.

Ordering:
    Torklift was very up-front about the huge amount of orders they are seeing, and said there would be a 10 day manufacturing delay before the unit would ship. This turned out to be right on the money, and the unit arrived a few days after shipping.

Communication:
    A Torklift representative called me a few days after I got my EcoHitch to let me know they had a few (?) units manufactured with the wrong thread pitch on the studs welded to the hitch bar (that the crash bar bolts to). He said if I received one with the wrong thread pitch he would send me some new nuts, as the factory nuts would not thread on them.

I had not opened the box yet, as I was going to coordinate installation with one of their installers. I mentioned that I hadn't opened the box yet, but that he should send me the nuts anyway, just in case. He agreed.

Discussing installation, he advised against a mechanic and steered me towards a body shop, as the only real trick is to make sure to get the Model 3 bumper off without damaging the clips. Body guys are way better at that sort of thing. He then let me know about two Torklift Central certified installers in the Denver area. I called both.

Installation:
    I spoke to both shops in Denver/Littleton and got installation quotes.

Certified installer quote 1:
    Time - 8 hours
    Price - $400

Certified installer quote 2:
    Time - 1.5 days (?!?)
    Price - $579

I decided to call my body guy in Colorado Springs.

Local body shop quote:
    Time - 2-3 hours
    Price - $140 ... !!

I went with my body guy.

Picked it up this evening, and the STEALTH nomenclature is NO JOKE! It's invisible when the receiver is not in place. The opening that was cut turned out to be not quite big enough when I tested putting the receiver on, but they opened it up a bit for me on the spot.

Review:
    This will be incoming this weekend as I try out the hitch with the 1UP USA 2" Quik Rack.

Stay Tuned!

• Like x 8
    • Informative x 7
  2. SoCalGuy

SoCalGuy Active Member

3. jamnmon66

jamnmon66 Member

Thanks for posting this. I'm interested in one too (waiting for VIN). Any thoughts on wiring for trailer lights?

4. Tyres4M3

Tyres4M3 Member

• Informative x 1
  5. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

I am planning to put one on my 3, but they don't offer the 1.25" option yet! I have to wait longer... :(

6. voip-ninja

voip-ninja Give me some sugar baby

I was excited to see this thread, then there were zero pics and now I am disappointment. :(:confused:

• Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  7. Zaphod

Zaphod Galaxy President (former)

FYI, the factory bracket does not use bolts or need any drilling into the bumper. It uses high strength double sided tape (likely 3M VHB) and is just tapes to the bumper. Just wanted to clarify for others.

8. Craig-Tx

Craig-Tx Member

I'm curious as to why you would prefer the 1.25" over the 2". My understanding is that the 2" receiver is a lot more flexible. For bike racks, you can easily adapt the smaller tube into the larger receiver. It's a bit more difficult to go the other way.

Of course if you already have a selection of slide in ball mounts for 1.25, then you may not want to re-invest. (although I've often found that nearly every time I need a mount, it's the wrong height anyway)

• Like x 1
  9. BioSehnsucht

BioSehnsucht Model 3 LR

Is it approved by Tesla yet? I remember there being some thing about warranties and approved towing hardware ...

10. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 254,000

Tesla does not approve 3rd-party items.

Tesla cannot deny any warranty claims (at least in the US) unless they can show that the third party item caused a failure. Possible if you tow something heavy; but awfully unlikely with a bike rack.

• Like x 1
  11. mekberg

mekberg Member

This. Saris hitch racks even come with the adapter.

12. Daniel in SD

Daniel in SD Active Member

It would give you .75" more ground clearance in the back and would be less visually obtrusive.
    No. I don't think their hitch for the Model S was ever approved by Tesla. Technically auto manufacturers can only void the warranty on damage done by the aftermarket accessory. So if your drive unit blows up they could claim that the it was caused by towing but if your door handle breaks that would still be covered.

13. buddhra

buddhra Member

Let's make your day better. Pics and video here: 2018 Tesla Model 3 Stealth EcoHitch

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  14. Shoal007

Shoal007 Member

I was able to install mine in 3 hours. The hole is too small even with a 4 inch cutter. You have to slide the bolt up at a wierd angle and need a special wrench to tighten it. I was able to do it without toouch trouble but lost one push clip and have not a very pretty hole. Now to use it with my 1up!

15. iluvmacs

iluvmacs Member

I only use it for bike racks. They are natively 1.25", and while they come with an adapter, they are more stable without it. Secondarily, better ground clearance.

16. Chickenlittle

Chickenlittle Active Member

Why do you think tesla is not supporting tow hitch? Are they just suppressing sales? Wonder what happens to warrantee if hitch welded in? If tesla thought they could offer towing they would have offered details on weight position etc.

17. But_dave

But_dave Member

Anyone care to speculate or have data on how much the drag of a couple bikes mounted on rack on hitch affects the energy/mile??

18. But_dave

But_dave Member

I am thinking I will want to try pretty hard to get two bikes in the car with seats down

19. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

about 25% reduction, I have two 50 pound electric bikes I have carried on my S, the carrier weight is about 50 lbs as well. The wind drag kills range, I was looking at another carrier that would carry them inline to see if that helps... like this one. Images

20. SigNC

SigNC Member

For real!

• Disagree x 1