Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Stealth EcoHitch for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I decided to grab a roll of rubberized foam and cut a gasket to put in the gap to keep out as much of the elements as possible. Not a perfect job but it was cheap and I have an entire roll to experiment with. When I disconnect the receiver, I can snap back in the access panel.

This is what I'm going to do next. And I can confirm that my May-to-June 2019 made M3 SR+ has that exact same access panel as well. I almost bought that $99 cover for the hole!

Placed the order this evening after reading these posts and the other threads. Thank you all for your input and contributions.

Skipping the cover (2018 model with no fancy removable under panel), planning the DIY install, and need to order a bike rack. Will likely design and 3D print a solution for covering the hole when not in use. Only a weekend MTB'er. Will share if I come up with something successful to print for the hole. Might cut it bigger or rectangular on purpose to accommodate an easier-to-design/print cover solution.....and allow better hand access.

Cheers.

I decided to grab a roll of rubberized foam and cut a gasket to put in the gap to keep out as much of the elements as possible. Not a perfect job but it was cheap and I have an entire roll to experiment with. When I disconnect the receiver, I can snap back in the access panel.
What about buying a spare access panel and cutting out the square to accommodate the hitch when installed. would be a great way to keep it as sealed as possible down there. I just picked up a new model3 with the same panel, Planning to install the eco hitch in a few weeks.

Reactions: Watts_Up
Placed the order this evening after reading these posts and the other threads. Thank you all for your input and contributions.

Skipping the cover (2018 model with no fancy removable under panel), planning the DIY install, and need to order a bike rack. Will likely design and 3D print a solution for covering the hole when not in use. Only a weekend MTB'er. Will share if I come up with something successful to print for the hole. Might cut it bigger or rectangular on purpose to accommodate an easier-to-design/print cover solution.....and allow better hand access.

Cheers.

Update: received and installed! Wish I had seen Reaction26's offer sooner. Oh well.
  • Despite Torklift's warning of delayed shipping, the hitch was on my porch 7 days after ordering (TX). Installed that night. Took me about 2 hrs, but that included interruptions by kids and neighbors. Could probably do it in an hour now that I've gone through the motions.
  • Backed my car onto rear ramp lifts in the garage. Helped considerably for accessing the undercarriage.
  • Luckily, already had Torx bits and torque wrench (didn't know I'd need them!). Torklifts manual specifies 50 ft/lb for the main chassis bolts. Etrailer's install video was a great guide, pointing out the socket sizes and Torx bit size. Saved me a little time.
  • A few non-hitch related problems: one of the trunk rests had stripped off it's post rather than unscrew. Problem solved, but unexpected. The passenger side tail light nuts were barely finger tight! And, I was missing one of the M6 botls holding on the undercarriage felt just in front of the rear axle (not one of the ones requiring removal). Also no front center bolt or hole (out of a possible 3.....Sept 2018 model). Some grit in the under panel, but nothing of significant weight.
  • I went with the 4" hole saw to make sure I had plenty of hand room to bolt/unbolt the hitch. Will have it out most of the time.
  • Currently on version 4 of a 3D printed cover (pictured). Heck of a lot cheaper than Torklift's option! Might 3D print a second cover for wrap around when the hitch is installed.
IMG_6930.jpg IMG_6931.jpg IMG_6935.jpg IMG_6937.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_6930.jpg
    IMG_6930.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 197
Update: received and installed! Wish I had seen Reaction26's offer sooner. Oh well.
  • Despite Torklift's warning of delayed shipping, the hitch was on my porch 7 days after ordering (TX). Installed that night. Took me about 2 hrs, but that included interruptions by kids and neighbors. Could probably do it in an hour now that I've gone through the motions.
  • Backed my car onto rear ramp lifts in the garage. Helped considerably for accessing the undercarriage.
  • Luckily, already had Torx bits and torque wrench (didn't know I'd need them!). Torklifts manual specifies 50 ft/lb for the main chassis bolts. Etrailer's install video was a great guide, pointing out the socket sizes and Torx bit size. Saved me a little time.
  • A few non-hitch related problems: one of the trunk rests had stripped off it's post rather than unscrew. Problem solved, but unexpected. The passenger side tail light nuts were barely finger tight! And, I was missing one of the M6 botls holding on the undercarriage felt just in front of the rear axle (not one of the ones requiring removal). Also no front center bolt or hole (out of a possible 3.....Sept 2018 model). Some grit in the under panel, but nothing of significant weight.
  • I went with the 4" hole saw to make sure I had plenty of hand room to bolt/unbolt the hitch. Will have it out most of the time.
  • Currently on version 4 of a 3D printed cover (pictured). Heck of a lot cheaper than Torklift's option! Might 3D print a second cover for wrap around when the hitch is installed.
View attachment 460806 View attachment 460807 View attachment 460811 View attachment 460813
Great job on the cover! Would totally use that if my car didn't come with the access panel. Just ordered mine, Really like the single 1up rack, Makes me want to sell my XT 2 pro.

Reactions: bsilva
And, I was missing one of the M6 botls holding on the undercarriage felt just in front of the rear axle (not one of the ones requiring removal).
I had that issue, fortunately, I was one of the very first to order both the Model 3 and the hitch, so I just shot over to the service center and they replaced the bolt no questions asked. My first service appt. Certainly not my last, but I have not had them much this year. I don't know if they still do that stuff after you have had the car a time.

View attachment 460806 View attachment 460807 View attachment 460811 View attachment 460813
That hatch cover looks great. Nice work. Are you making any extra we could buy from you? I have the EcoHitch one but yours looks way better. I love single OneUp rack, best rack I've had. I have both the single and the double, plus add-on's. I use the single 90% of the time.

Beajertx, your plug looks terrific! How is it secured once in the hitch, is it held in magnetically? It appears that the hole is fully covered, so you can't get your hand or a tool in there.

I have two high strength magnets on two sides of the post. Started with just one, but was concerned it would slowly wiggle out with road bumps. Two seems to have a nice strong hold, but still easy to slide out. The latest version (v6) has a hole (sealed off from the inside) to easily pull the cover off. Not satisfied with the quality of the beveled edge on my latest print, but some sanding should smooth it out.

Attachments

• 16B8674F-883D-43E6-B26C-177DAD062C5B.jpeg
    16B8674F-883D-43E6-B26C-177DAD062C5B.jpeg
    419.3 KB · Views: 168
  • D6129960-E0AD-43A8-859E-C15E0E7313BA.jpeg
    D6129960-E0AD-43A8-859E-C15E0E7313BA.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 167
Reactions: KenC and android04
That hatch cover looks great. Nice work. Are you making any extra we could buy from you? I have the EcoHitch one but yours looks way better. I love single OneUp rack, best rack I've had. I have both the single and the double, plus add-on's. I use the single 90% of the time.

I have extras as I tweak the design. But not confident enough in the final product yet to sell anything. Getting close. I do not have the EcoHitch cover, but curious what you think looks better about the design I have. Just lower profile without the rubber gasket? I do not know how well water will be kept out, but after taking apart and reinstalling the lower undercarriage cover, looks like any water will drain out if it does leak in.

Loving the 1Up. Will likely get the 2nd bike attachment if/when my son starts riding more with me.

I think the hatch cover looks super clean. The EcoHitch one does the job but not as good looking. The OneUp rack is a great rack. The 1 place folds up out of the way but you can still open the trunk. I have add-ons as well as the two place version in addition, for when I want to carry 3-4 bikes (or 2 downhill bikes which are pretty heavy). You can put 2 add-ons onto the 1 place rack, but with mtb's the rack will wobble more than I am comfortable with, though OneUp says it's ok.

Is something like this too heavy on the back of the model 3? We use it on my wife’s suv and load it up with strollers, beach chairs, etc. that don’t weigh too much but the actual carrier is 70 lbs.

CURT 500 lbs. Capacity Basket-Style Hitch Cargo Carrier-18153 - The Home Depot

Although I’m not sure I could supercharge with it attached.
The carrier is not too heavy by itself, but loading it up to it's capacity of 500 lbs probably would be. The Model 3 hitches are rated for 200 lbs tongue weight, but the carrier has more leverage due to it's distance from the Model 3. I would say that the carrier's center of mass is 2x the distance as a trailer hitch ball, so I would cut it's acceptable "tongue weight" in half. That only gives you around 100 lbs of carrier+cargo capacity. I'm sure that the Model 3 can safely handle more, but I wouldn't risk it because it will be going over the recommended specs.

And no, you would not be able to supercharge with the carrier attached at most Superchargers unless you use a pull-through stall. Most Superchargers have very short, thick cables that barely reach when parked correctly.

• Informative
Reactions: McMoo
The carrier is not too heavy by itself, but loading it up to it's capacity of 500 lbs probably would be. The Model 3 hitches are rated for 200 lbs tongue weight, but the carrier has more leverage due to it's distance from the Model 3. I would say that the carrier's center of mass is 2x the distance as a trailer hitch ball, so I would cut it's acceptable "tongue weight" in half. That only gives you around 100 lbs of carrier+cargo capacity. I'm sure that the Model 3 can safely handle more, but I wouldn't risk it because it will be going over the recommended specs.

And no, you would not be able to supercharge with the carrier attached at most Superchargers unless you use a pull-through stall. Most Superchargers have very short, thick cables that barely reach when parked correctly.

Guess it won’t be our family road trip car. Will have to wait for my wife to let me get a Cybertruck.

I scrape the hitch every time I drive straight out of the driveway, like HARD. I keep thinking about removing it, but I haven't, just crank the wheel when I am coming and going. Once the car can FSD it will probably not understand and I will probably remove the hitch.

EDIT: Oh, re-reading your message, I see you mean the entire bracket. Yes, I saw that too, but aren't the Model S and the Model 3 made of different stuff? So perhaps no dissimilar metal corrosion? There were the nylon standoff washers, perhaps those were not used on the original Model S hitch.

As to a hitch-mounted bicycle's wind resistance, I got dramatic resistance to a 30 MPH headwind once, but it's hard to say how much the bike was the issue, perhaps the Tesla planning software just didn't account for the weather. Scary watching the range disappearing faster than the miles to the next Supercharger number. But then the Yellow message popped up and I dropped my speed as it recommended and all was well.

But I haven't taken a trip with the bike since.

I wonder how much that 2019 rear plastic undertray, with hitch cutout costs. Presumably, it's a direct replacement for the 2018.
I found out the replacement part (for just the cut out, not the entire panel) was a very reasonable $11. It is listed as Tesla Rr Fascia, Cover, Tow with part number 1135412-00-A. Mine fell out last week ( I guess I didn't tighten the fasteners fully when re-attaching) and although I found it a day later, the edge tabs were pretty flattened an the fasteners destroyed. Figured it was worth $11 to get a new one.