Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Central Stealth EcoHitch for Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey TMC,

Just got the EcoHitch for the Model 3 installed today.

Ordering:
Torklift was very up-front about the huge amount of orders they are seeing, and said there would be a 10 day manufacturing delay before the unit would ship. This turned out to be right on the money, and the unit arrived a few days after shipping.

Communication:
A Torklift representative called me a few days after I got my EcoHitch to let me know they had a few (?) units manufactured with the wrong thread pitch on the studs welded to the hitch bar (that the crash bar bolts to). He said if I received one with the wrong thread pitch he would send me some new nuts, as the factory nuts would not thread on them.

I had not opened the box yet, as I was going to coordinate installation with one of their installers. I mentioned that I hadn't opened the box yet, but that he should send me the nuts anyway, just in case. He agreed.

Discussing installation, he advised against a mechanic and steered me towards a body shop, as the only real trick is to make sure to get the Model 3 bumper off without damaging the clips. Body guys are way better at that sort of thing. He then let me know about two Torklift Central certified installers in the Denver area. I called both.

Installation:
I spoke to both shops in Denver/Littleton and got installation quotes.

Certified installer quote 1:
Time - 8 hours
Price - $400

Certified installer quote 2:
Time - 1.5 days (?!?)
Price - $579

I decided to call my body guy in Colorado Springs.

Local body shop quote:
Time - 2-3 hours
Price - $140 ... !!

I went with my body guy.

Picked it up this evening, and the STEALTH nomenclature is NO JOKE! It's invisible when the receiver is not in place. The opening that was cut turned out to be not quite big enough when I tested putting the receiver on, but they opened it up a bit for me on the spot.

Review:
This will be incoming this weekend as I try out the hitch with the 1UP USA 2" Quik Rack.

Stay Tuned!

Last edited:
I am planning to put one on my 3, but they don't offer the 1.25" option yet! I have to wait longer... :(
I'm curious as to why you would prefer the 1.25" over the 2". My understanding is that the 2" receiver is a lot more flexible. For bike racks, you can easily adapt the smaller tube into the larger receiver. It's a bit more difficult to go the other way.

Of course if you already have a selection of slide in ball mounts for 1.25, then you may not want to re-invest. (although I've often found that nearly every time I need a mount, it's the wrong height anyway)

Reactions: sigmo32
Tesla does not approve 3rd-party items.

Tesla cannot deny any warranty claims (at least in the US) unless they can show that the third party item caused a failure. Possible if you tow something heavy; but awfully unlikely with a bike rack.

Reactions: Blue in NC
I'm curious as to why you would prefer the 1.25" over the 2". My understanding is that the 2" receiver is a lot more flexible. For bike racks, you can easily adapt the smaller tube into the larger receiver. It's a bit more difficult to go the other way.

Of course if you already have a selection of slide in ball mounts for 1.25, then you may not want to re-invest. (although I've often found that nearly every time I need a mount, it's the wrong height anyway)
It would give you .75" more ground clearance in the back and would be less visually obtrusive.
Is it approved by Tesla yet? I remember there being some thing about warranties and approved towing hardware ...
No. I don't think their hitch for the Model S was ever approved by Tesla. Technically auto manufacturers can only void the warranty on damage done by the aftermarket accessory. So if your drive unit blows up they could claim that the it was caused by towing but if your door handle breaks that would still be covered.

I was able to install mine in 3 hours. The hole is too small even with a 4 inch cutter. You have to slide the bolt up at a wierd angle and need a special wrench to tighten it. I was able to do it without toouch trouble but lost one push clip and have not a very pretty hole. Now to use it with my 1up!

I only use it for bike racks. They are natively 1.25", and while they come with an adapter, they are more stable without it. Secondarily, better ground clearance.

Anyone care to speculate or have data on how much the drag of a couple bikes mounted on rack on hitch affects the energy/mile??
about 25% reduction, I have two 50 pound electric bikes I have carried on my S, the carrier weight is about 50 lbs as well. The wind drag kills range, I was looking at another carrier that would carry them inline to see if that helps... like this one. Images