Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torklift Ecohitch Stealth for Refreshed 2021 Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great to know. How difficult is it to install the receiver part of the hitch? Is the factory cover a pain to take off? On the Y, even with the factory hitch, the cover was a pain.

Are you going to tow a trailer? If so, what plans for a wiring harness?

Looks great. When you drop the hitch, does the cover hide it all nicely?
Exactly, very interested in the look with the hitch removed/cover in place and how hard is it to install/remove the cover. Hoping it is more fun than trying to pull the hitch cover off my MYP to use my bike rack--talk about poor design, inconsistent results and a real pain in the neck. Considering the Torklift as an option for the LR S I have on order (current EDD June 8 - July 20, and constantly changing.....). Thanks!

Great to know. How difficult is it to install the receiver part of the hitch? Is the factory cover a pain to take off? On the Y, even with the factory hitch, the cover was a pain.

Are you going to tow a trailer? If so, what plans for a wiring harness?
Receiver is easy-on and -off. Make sure you have a 15/16 wrench. Cover's attached with prongs in the front and two small half-twist plastic screws in the back to secure it.

No trailer plans for now, just a bike rack - no harness.

IMG_5343.jpeg
IMG_5344.jpeg
I installed my hitch a few weeks ago. It was super easy and took me about an hour. Interesting thing is that a few of the bolts underneath were missing. Other than that it was very straightforward. Also, I didn't fully drop the bumper and rear belly pan. It made it a lot easier to put back together. Now how do you turn off the rear parking sensors?

Attachments

• IMG_5345.jpeg
    IMG_5345.jpeg
    956.8 KB · Views: 64
On the Y, that would be done by enabling the towing mode IF you had the factory hitch installed. The service center would enable it in the software.

Normally it would automatically enable towing mode when you connected something to the wiring connector. Often it wouldn't disable it when you disconnected the trailer. Towing mode also killed AP and just left you with TACC. Some people weren't happy with that.

Just had the ecohitch stealth installed on my refreshed 2021 model s. I had rack n road install the hitch. I added a Thule easyfold xt x2 bike rack. (very compact and easy to use, can handle up to 65 lb e bikes with fenders) I got a torque wrench to remove the right angle.. you are supposed to torque the bolt to 150 ft lbs, I could only torque to 130 ft lb , but I think it will be OK. I went for a bike ride.. works great !.. One thing though, the S looks at the rack a stationary obstacle and thinks you are 12 inches away, so red lines appear when you drive. Also if you back up it tells you to stop ( thinking you are backing into the obstacle) It would be great if Tesla could add a bike rack mode for the S to the software. I wonder if the Y or X has this problem?

Just had the ecohitch stealth installed on my refreshed 2021 model s. I had rack n road install the hitch. I added a Thule easyfold xt x2 bike rack. (very compact and easy to use, can handle up to 65 lb e bikes with fenders) I got a torque wrench to remove the right angle.. you are supposed to torque the bolt to 150 ft lbs, I could only torque to 130 ft lb , but I think it will be OK. I went for a bike ride.. works great !.. One thing though, the S looks at the rack a stationary obstacle and thinks you are 12 inches away, so red lines appear when you drive. Also if you back up it tells you to stop ( thinking you are backing into the obstacle) It would be great if Tesla could add a bike rack mode for the S to the software. I wonder if the Y or X has this problem?
They have a towing mode which disables the sensor. This is ONLY for those that have the factory hitch. When I checked with the service center, they said if I added an aftermarket hitch, they would NOT enable the tow mode in the software. YMMV.

Torklift central offers a wiring harness for the model s refresh
If you look on their website, the wiring harness offerred is the Tekonsha 119250. While the list it for the refresh MS, when you actually go to select it, it does not list 2021 or 2022 as an option. I tried unsuccessfully to install the Tekonsha 119250 on my 2021 refresh. See this thread. Trailer hitch on 2021 refresh?

I read your post and it was definitely informative. On one trailer I could likely just get by with running lights for my short 3 mile trip to the water as the car taillights are very visible. Supposedly though someone said at Torklift they were able to get their controller (basically the Tekonsha) to work on the new model S in at their main location. I haven't had a chance to run this down yet so don't know if it is true.

Reactions: gbailey
I also just got the Torklift ecohitch installed on my 2022 refreshed Model S, I found out after I mount my bike rack, there is some up and down movement on the hitch itself, I called the rack shop (they installed it for me) and they said it is normal. is there anyone else who also experience the same findings? see my youtube video for a demonstration:

Thanks

My first thought is that is a LOT of play. Maybe it is the washers compressing against the body to limit dissimilar metal corrosion.

I am curious to see what others have experienced. I was debating between the X or the Forklift on my S and this may be a big strike against the Forklift for me.