TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Torklift EcoHitch

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by Jrzapata, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Jrzapata

Jrzapata Member

I finally got my Model 3 and got to install my EcoHitch.

Installation was easy, given I have access to a master technician (my father in law). We watched the instructional video from torklift which gave us some good pointers.

The hitch lol oks clean, it gives you an option to remove the hitch connection to make it as if you didn’t have one, but I will choose to just keep it on all the time so I can put my bike rack on in a hurry.

I got out this weekend with my cycling team and got several kudos on the look of the car and the look of the hitch.

I made a mistake on my order and received a call from them to verify the additional part was really what I wanted. Got to correct my issue on the phone. Now THAT is awesome customer service.

Fully recommend this for your model 3 if you plan to carry your bikes on a rack.

https://torkliftcentral.com

• Like x 3
  2. Blue in NC

Blue in NC Member

How easy is this to install? I have installed hitches before on SUVs but that did not involve pulling off the bumper and frankly I am a bit nervous about that. Maybe I will just hire a shop to do it.

3. nam33r1

nam33r1 Member

Congrats! I love the eco hitch as well. So glad i can carry around my bikes again

4. mekberg

mekberg Member

About 3 hours and ~45 fasteners.
    1. 5 in each wheel well (3 push pins, torx, plastic nut)
    2. 5 in the trunk felt (push pins)
    3. 2 for each tail light (7mm? nuts)
    4. 1 under each tail light (10mm bolt)
    5. 5 in bottom of bumper cover (10mm bolts)
    6. 5 in bumper cover support (10mm bolts)
    7. 6 in crash bar (15mm bolts - deep socket)
    8. 4 in each crash bar support (15mm bolts - regular or deep socket)
    Other tools:
    1. 50 ft lb torque wrench required for hitch nuts.
    2. 3 1/2" - 4" hole saw for receiver.
    3. Need some sort of plastic prying device as the crash bar supports are epoxied to the body. I had a plastic spackle tool and a rubber mallet.
    4. For my 2" receiver a 15/16 socket was required to bolt to the hitch. There wasn't a lot of space for my socket with a 3 1/2" hole saw, but it worked. I have since ordered a ratcheting wrench.

• Informative x 2
  5. mekberg

mekberg Member

6. thescud

thescud Member

Anyone know where to get one of these hitches (or something similar) in Canada? Torklift Central wants $200 to ship this thing up north.

7. Bandit

Bandit Member

It's a challenge for sure. I shipped to a cross-border pickup facility so I could get free shipping (although it cost me $10 to have it received). The shipping carton is huge and weighs 53 lbs.