TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Torklift Hitch Installed on Model S

Discussion in 'Model S' started by NewTMSMan, Jun 9, 2019.

1. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Installed an Torklift Ecohitch on my 2017 Model S yesterday (2012-2019 Tesla Model S EcoHitch Stealth). Took me 4 hours, but almost an hour of that was figuring out where all the screws and clips I removed from the under carriage panel went (probably should have taken pictures). Managed to install without lifting the car, just putting the suspension in Very High and I could just fit under the car to remove the panel and replace it.

[​IMG]

Most daunting part was cutting the panel to allow access for the hitch and installation, but it came out good.

[​IMG]

Especially like the additional cover when the hitch is not being used (Tesla Undercover 2012-2016 Model S X7223)

[​IMG]

Overall very happy with the results, but might recommend having professional installation unless you are pretty handy and have tools on hand. Needed to use some tools most people will not have.

[​IMG]

• Informative x 2
  2. Brettski

Brettski Member

Nice work! I’m curious, did you install this planning only to use a bike rack, etc or do you also intend to tow something as well?

3. SO16

SO16 Active Member

Nice. After raising car to high, still would recommend putting blocks under it. Wouldn’t want to get crushed “just in case”.

4. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Just bike rack. I did not install any electrical.

• Like x 1
  5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

So do they provide some sort of rubber pad between frame and the hitch to prevent corrosion?

6. Liquidsx

Liquidsx Member

I used to be a big fan of the bike rack and had one on my Lexus GS350. Recently went to the sea sucker when I got the MS and love it! Fraction of the cost.

Attached Files:

7. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Yup have a SeaSucker and use it for just my bike

[​IMG]

But also have ebikes that are too heavy for the SeaSucker.

• Like x 1
  8. vesder21

vesder21 Member

The hitch looks great! I ordered the same one last week and it's being delivered tomorrow. Since you mentioned 4 hours I may take it into a body shop.

Can anyone lend a hand with the electrical set up for a 2013? I purchase the "recommended" no splice Tekonsha 119250, but it has to draw a 12v so not sure where I can tap into outside of the main 12v batter up front.

9. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Member

Why not tap the license plate lights with a posi-tap?

Also, still curious if the kit comes with a rubber pad that isolates the hitch from the frame to prevent corrosion. Let me know once you get it.

10. Kuhz

Kuhz Active Member

From my research they redesigned or added some bits to prevent corrosion between metal and aluminum

11. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

There are nylon washers that isolate the hitch from the chassis that come with the kit.

12. vesder21

vesder21 Member

just received the kit today and can confirm the nylon washers. i still wish there was a rubber pad or something instead... also the instructions from the Tekonsha 119250 harness says it needs a continuous 12v from the batter i'm not sure if tapping into the license plate light will work? i bought a back up flat 4 harness just in case.

13. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Here's a reference video for installation -

This is not a ZCI installation though and person who made the vid says you can grab 12V from the power lift gate wiring. He also comments that unless your trailer has higher power usage (like having incandescent lighting) the ZCI is not needed and a basic 4 wire harness you can pick up at Harbor Freight is sufficient for standard trailer usage. This would save you about $150 including harness and wiring clips.

• Informative x 1
  14. headcase

headcase Member

Another vote for SeaSucker over a fixed hitch if using for a bike(s). Numerous advantages that have been stated on this forum in the past.

15. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

Wouldn't want to meet the guy who can load one of our eBikes on a SeaSucker on the roof in a dark alley ;). I can barely get them on to the hitch rack.... Maybe I am getting old.

My road and tr-bike are no issue on the SeaSucker and I can definitely say it works great if anyone has concerns, I have had bikes mounted on my Z06 Corvette and achieved highway speeds well over the posted limit.

[​IMG]

16. headcase

headcase Member

Ironically, I too use my SeaSucker setup to bring along my custom built electric mountain bike on my Tesla (two EVs! - :D) Yeah, lifting the heavy eBike isn't cake, but its very doable.

17. JunesongProvisn

Any ideas as to why SeaSucker doesn't make racks where you don't have to take off the front wheel? All three of my mountain bikes have thru axles and I don't particularly want to deal with that.

I've been using the Whispbar Tesla rack for years, but it's very problematic and the rubber has degraded far worse than any other rack I've had in 25 years of using them.

18. NewTMSMan

NewTMSMan Active Member

They do, you just need to use their Monkey Bars (Monkey Bars) and then whatever bike rack you want to use. Gets expensive quickly, but you can use whatever you want.