Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn betwee LR AWD with speed boost vs Performance main concern is badweather/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi ya'll I'm torn on how to proceed. There's always a strong chance that I'd need to drive the 40 miles to work in snow/snowy conditions and the roadways are commonly littered with potholes at certain points. Id love to get the Performance for the overall fun factor especially for the 3/4 of the year where it isnt going to snow. Having said that would you guys opt for the LR AWD+SpeedBoost for the smaller wheels and better availability of good all season tires? Is there an equivalent tire to something like the Michelin CrossClimates for the Performance seeing as it has the bigger wheels? Having said all this I do also have a truck I could drive to work if it was really bad out so it may be a non issue but am curious to hear your thoughts

Its better to have dedicated smaller 18 inch winter tire setup and 20 inch summers than just have one set of 18s on all seasons. If you want to track the car, the LR won't be great due to lack of Track Mode. If you can't store winter wheels, then the only choice is to get the LR or get a Performance and sell the 20 inch for smaller all-season setup.

Keep in mind, you can't order the LR as its off menu.

I do not plan on tracking the car. Only commuting/regular driving duties. I do have space to store wheels
They are pretty much the same. I have argued that the LR has somewhat more range. The key thing is those bigger wheels. If you are in NYC or major cities, they might be more prone to pinch flats and wheel dents. Just my 2¢

• Informative
Reactions: Hank42
imo, a LR AWD is still a blast and fast af, but for a few bucks more, get the car you want....you will always have regrets if you settle for less.

wouldn't be hard to source some 18" winter tires and wheels

I test drove an LR a couple months ago and fell in love, but when I started searching I noticed the M3P was the best bang for the buck on the Tesla used inventory...glad I pulled the trigger on mine when I did, cuz the prices have shot up about $4-5K and the choices are much slimmer.

I bought the M3P without ever even test driving one.....I fuggin love this thing!!!

Hi ya'll I'm torn on how to proceed. There's always a strong chance that I'd need to drive the 40 miles to work in snow/snowy conditions and the roadways are commonly littered with potholes at certain points. Id love to get the Performance for the overall fun factor especially for the 3/4 of the year where it isnt going to snow. Having said that would you guys opt for the LR AWD+SpeedBoost for the smaller wheels and better availability of good all season tires? Is there an equivalent tire to something like the Michelin CrossClimates for the Performance seeing as it has the bigger wheels? Having said all this I do also have a truck I could drive to work if it was really bad out so it may be a non issue but am curious to hear your thoughts

If you want the faster car for fun, get it. If you want range, get the LR. If it's only going to snow 25% of the year, pick up a set of dedicated winter wheels/tires. The car will be in the snow with dedicated tires.

Hi ya'll I'm torn on how to proceed. There's always a strong chance that I'd need to drive the 40 miles to work in snow/snowy conditions and the roadways are commonly littered with potholes at certain points.

The ONLY way you will accomplish that is with a set of winter tires.
So no matter what car you buy, plan on a set of 18" winter wheels and tires (from tirerack.com).

Id love to get the Performance for the overall fun factor especially for the 3/4 of the year where it isnt going to snow.

If finances are in order, that seams like a good plan.

Having said that would you guys opt for the LR AWD+SpeedBoost for the smaller wheels and better availability of good all season tires?

All-season tiers suck and under-perform in all seasons. Why would you want to roll on those?

Is there an equivalent tire to something like the Michelin CrossClimates for the Performance seeing as it has the bigger wheels?

You don't have to stick with bigger wheels for Performance car.
Keep 20" with extreme performance tires for the non-snow conditions.
Get a set of 18" or 19" wheels+tires for the winter.

That's what I did. Works like a charm!

HTH,
a

I own a 22’ LR ABoost and while it’s a sheer blast to drive every single time…I do feel myself longing for a bit more power. It seems silly but Ive gotten used to the boost power now. Test drove a P and there is Definitely a difference! Off the line for sure and continued stronger pull for longer after 100kph (62).
It just feels like the throttle mapping of P is more precise.

I do run 20” V1 oem rims for 3 seasons and I switch to 19’ oem for winter. I added an oem spoiler so basically looks like a P anyway.

For the light cost diff…get the P. I wish I had!
I do love driving the LR don’t get me wrong…at the time the cost diff was around 10k cnd.
Now inventory Perf 3’s are around 5k more than inventory LR’s. (Cnd)

The ONLY way you will accomplish that is with a set of winter tires.
So no matter what car you buy, plan on a set of 18" winter wheels and tires (from tirerack.com).

If finances are in order, that seams like a good plan.

All-season tiers suck and under-perform in all seasons. Why would you want to roll on those?

You don't have to stick with bigger wheels for Performance car.
Keep 20" with extreme performance tires for the non-snow conditions.
Get a set of 18" or 19" wheels+tires for the winter.

That's what I did. Works like a charm!

HTH,
a
What smaller wheel and tire combo do you recommend? this sounds like a good strategy

LR with or without boost... both are already plenty quick and like most modern cars in their price range, too fast and somewhat too fragile for the crumpling (and legislatively antiquated) US infrastructure.

18s or 19s only with at least ~4" of sidewall and a good modern All-Season (see Vredestein Hypertrac or Quartrac Pro, Michelin Crossclimate 2, Crossclimate+, etc) or one of the ever-growing EV-targeted tires.

What smaller wheel and tire combo do you recommend? this sounds like a good strategy

I actually downsized to 18s from 20s on my Performance and I like the ride much more. I got a T-Sportline 18 inch wheels as they are Tesla focused and their wheels can fit the Performance model (not all 18s fit). It also comes with winter tires if you spec it that way.

I have PS4S year round as we only get summer here in so-cal 😁

As always - start with the tires you want for the application, and then get the wheels to keep them round. It's all about the best tires for the job, right?
For me, I wanted either Micheline X-Ice (my first set of winters, now replaced with X-Ice Snow), Nokian Hakka R3's (my current set), or Blizzard WS80s (now WS90). All three were available in both stock 235/45-18 size as well as a bit wider 245/45R18 width. The former (235/45-18) is a VERY popular tire size for many vehicles, with 109 tire options available on tirerack.com, at very competitive prices.

msw_type30_mba_full.jpg

For comparison, there a bit fewer options in 235/40-19 size (86), and way fewer (and way more expensive) in 235/35-20 size (21).

Afterwards, I went shopping for any 18X8.5 ET40 (offset) wheels with 5x114.3 bolt pattern and 64.1mm center bore. Plenty of those to choose from on TR (and elsewhere) as well. Don't be fooled by "Tesla-specialty" resellers who jack up prices 200+% on everything, by sticking word "Tesla" in the description. Wheels are wheels. Tires are tires.
Your choices will be driven by price (cheap is OK with me for winters) and aesthetics (to each his own).

I ended up going with MSW TYPE 30 wheels from TR, now priced at $143.52 each. They were $180 when I ordered them in 2019.
Wheels + tires + TMPS sensors package cost me $1,818.80 shipped to my door in 2019, fully preinstalled and balanced.
It would be less expensive now.

HTH,
a

Last edited:
I was going back and forth also when deciding what model to buy. I really wanted the performance but the long range (available at the time) was a few thousand less.

Of course if I added acceleration boost that lessened the price gap. In the end I did not want to spend a lot of money on a new car only to feel regret every time I got in it it that I did not get the one I actually wanted. I got the performance and am glad I did every time I drive it.

Reactions: 455dan and XPsionic
I went Performance and added a set of 19" winter wheels and tires. Apex EC-7 with a 34 offset and 245/40/19 Verdestein Wintertrac Pro to be specific. The way I see it, tires are my only connection and I want the right tool for the job. Nothing can raise or lower you car's limits like tires. All season tires can be driven in all seasons, but a winter tire is MUCH better in snow and ice and a summer performance tire is MUCH better in warm weather than any all season tire. There is a big difference on both ends. It kind of reminds me of the V6. When they designed it they wanted the fuel economy of a four cylinder and the power of a V8. They ended up with neither. I recommend you get the Performance and a winter set. No question it will out preform the boosted AWD on efficient all seasons all year round.

Reactions: afadeev
There is a difference between the LR and P ground clearance?
P is 1cm less?

Model 3 LR/RWD Ground Clearance = 14cm, 5.5”
Model 3 P Ground Clearance = 13cm, 5.12”

Are there other
differences in the suspension or ride quality between a LR and a P if all other factors are equal, like wheel and tire specs?

Is there a good detailed side by side performance metric comparison of the P VS LR w/acc boost avalible?

Curious about all the little differences and pros/cons also!

The regen settings can be attained with the sexy buttons if you dont explicitly need track mode, but do want better slick surface control.

There is a difference between the LR and P ground clearance?
P is 1cm less?

Model 3 LR/RWD Ground Clearance = 14cm, 5.5”
Model 3 P Ground Clearance = 13cm, 5.12”

Are there other
differences in the suspension or ride quality between a LR and a P if all other factors are equal, like wheel and tire specs?

Is there a good detailed side by side performance metric comparison of the P VS LR w/acc boost avalible?

Curious about all the little differences and pros/cons also!

The regen settings can be attained with the sexy buttons if you dont explicitly need track mode, but do want better slick surface control.

Reactions: rotarypower101
I got a 3p. Hit a pothole with the 20s. Bubbled the driver side front and rear tires.

Tried to switch out the 20 summer tires for 20 all seasons. Everything on back order. (Hard to blame continues supply chain issues). Had to re up for the mich pilot sports summers.

If you want a readily supply of tires and choices for all budgets. The 20s are a no go.

@EVAspire I had a similar situation. I wanted the Performance model but not the 20" wheels because our roads are nasty and will break wheels like those. So like a lot of folks here, I got the Performance and swapped out the wheels for smaller ones, 18x8.5" in my case, same size as the base Model 3 wheels. It works great.

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6356654/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6705435/
https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/posts/6791334/

That said honestly the Long Range would be quick enough for me. I really wanted Track Mode though (and I'm glad I got it).

I've been using 245/45R18 tires because I prefer having a little extra rubber compared to the 235/45R18 size that comes on regular Model 3. Either 245 or 235 is a completely normal tire width for 8.5" wide wheels. The 245 gives slightly taller sidewall / diameter, in addition to the 1cm extra width.

I will mention that 18" is a snug fit over the Performance Upgrade Package brakes, especially the integrated parking brake in the rear. So if you get 18s be sure to warn tire techs to never put wheel weights towards the inside of the wheel. They can only go towards the outside otherwise they'll rub. A good tire tech would always check for brake clearance, but there are plenty of sloppy ones out there, just need to tell them what to do. (I don't know if this is an issue with 19" wheels on these brakes.)