Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn betwee LR AWD with speed boost vs Performance main concern is badweather/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see your profile says NY. Not sure whereabouts exactly you are, but I’m here in NJ …. And to be frank, our winters aren’t like living in the mountains of Colorado.

I’ve been driving here for the better part of 3 decades and have never once needed a set of dedicated winter tires. All seasons have gotten me through absolutely fine.

That said - my Model 3 & X are both on all-weather tires now. The Michelin CrossClimate 2’s have been great.

As for the vehicle, all I can recommend is to avoid the 20” wheels. I’d bend those to hell and back on these roads. Replaced my 19” Sport wheels on the 3 with a set of 18s just for that extra sidewall height.

Either car will be great - the LR AWD is way more car than most people will ever appreciate. If you plan to take your car to the track, the P is a no brainer. Otherwise …. I have a hard time seeing the upside.

I see your profile says NY. Not sure whereabouts exactly you are, but I’m here in NJ …. And to be frank, our winters aren’t like living in the mountains of Colorado.

I’ve been driving here for the better part of 3 decades and have never once needed a set of dedicated winter tires. All seasons have gotten me through absolutely fine.

That said - my Model 3 & X are both on all-weather tires now. The Michelin CrossClimate 2’s have been great.

As for the vehicle, all I can recommend is to avoid the 20” wheels. I’d bend those to hell and back on these roads. Replaced my 19” Sport wheels on the 3 with a set of 18s just for that extra sidewall height.

Either car will be great - the LR AWD is way more car than most people will ever appreciate. If you plan to take your car to the track, the P is a no brainer. Otherwise …. I have a hard time seeing the upside.

Nice. Ill keep an eye out for the LR AWD becoming available to buy again /w 18" wheels

I went with the M3P and have NEVER regretted it for even a second. I live outside of Philly and went with a complete setup of 19" winter rims and all season Conti tires. I have been running Conti all seasons for many years on previous BMW's and never had issues. I like the look of the 19" vs 18" but of course YMMV.
PXL_20220212_135620605.jpg

Reactions: Destiny1701
I'd go with the LR all day (would pass on the acceleration boost because the LR is already very fast IMO). Better range and a better ride.

After renting a performance, I'd throw those 20" wheels out the door immediately and replace them with 18s. It was very jarring on anything other than very smooth roads and the Model 3 is already a pretty firm riding car.

I was in the same dilemma. AWD All seasons handle those few snowy days very easily too.

I got a good deal on the LR plus boost and FSD, 18s are perfect. I can't imagine these roads with anything less than 45 series tires.

Before getting the car I was convinced 20s was over-wheeled and would be curb magnet, limit selection for winter tires, etc etc.

Hasnt been the case in actual use. Its completely fine.

That said, just aesthetically speaking I find the 235/40/19 to be goldilocks for appearance in overall size and sidewall height. The rubberband-faux racecar imitation is not a good look.