Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn Between Dual Motor LR and Performance [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Guys,

I have ordered a long range dual motor AWD Model 3. It's supposed to be delivered sometime in March. I'm seriously considering changing to a performance model. I really wanted a "stealth performance", but that's not available as far as I know. Has anyone driven the cars back to back who could compare the ride? I'm concerned about the low profile summer tires on the performance as I live in an area that sees 20s and 30s fairly often in the winter. I'd also like to know what accounts for the lower range rating of the performance model. My understanding is that the hardware is the same (battery, motors, etc.) and that it's the software that accounts for the greater acceleration of the performance model. If that's the case, why less range? Finally, is the acceleration significantly different in terms of feel? I know the numbers but I would like to know if there's really that much seat of the pants difference in the two cars.

Thanks for the advice. If I am going to switch to the performance, I need to do it soon. I figure that there is a $6000.00 difference in the two. There's an $8000.00 difference at purchase, but then I would buy the acceleration boost for the LR, so the real difference would be around $6000.00.

Todd

Todd,

The three biggest areas causing Range Loss are the following. First are the heavier wheels, the rotational force requires more energy and the loss of the wheel covers that reduce drag. Have you seen the large Tractor Trailers going down the interstate with the skirts around the tractor and the trailer, they are expensive, but they reduce drag so much that they pay for themselves in a short time through fuel savings.

Secondly the spoiler, the downward force improves handling and traction at higher speeds, but as an engineer I can tell you that there are always trade offs. With this higher downforce comes greater drag and that drag will reduce range.

I struggled with the same decision when I ordered my car. But for me, it was a matter of where I am in life (retired) and whether I really wanted the Performance option or not. I did and since I tend to keep my cars a long time (I still have a truck I bought new in 1981), I justified the additional cost in terms of how much per year I'd pay "extra" for the option over ten years or more. Sometimes decisions are based (for me anyway), on subjective criteria (desire) as much as objective (financials). Having a balance of the two is essential. I bought the Performance model and haven't regretted it. Keep in mind that summer tires they come with (at least mine did), are not suitable for cold winter driving, so I purchased a set of aftermarket wheels and have winter tires mounted. I run each set about six months out of the year and rotations are factored in when I swap the wheels. I may have just been lucky, but I've got almost 50,000 miles on the car and never damaged a wheel yet. I know lots of others have though. I really like the look of the 20" wheels. Hope this helps!

Performance model here. Never even a question in my mind. If you are looking for a true sports sedan that can hang with the likes of an M3, RS3 etc, the performance is the way to go. I agree with others, that otherwise the AWD LR is certainly still a great (and fast car). I haven’t been bothered by the 20 inch rims but if you decide the range is important to you you can always go aftermarket with 18s or 19s down the road and recover the range. Keep in mind performance also offers bigger brakes, a different suspension and a slightly dropped look if that matters to you. Good luck.

I test drove a M3 SR in early January. First time in a M3 and I was blown away by the acceleration (I have a 2014 Tundra, aka "Tank"). I opted for the LR over the performance and ordered it immediately after the test drive. For me, the LR with AWD will have more than enough performance. I couldn't see the price uplift for the performance model. Instead I used part of that cost for red and 19in wheels on the LR. I'm 50, lower cars make my life harder. I'm in line for a cybertruck but I'm about 500k in line. Probably wont see it for me until 2023 at the earliest. I plan to trade the M3 in when the CT comes. Or perhaps if I really fall in love with the M3, I'll keep it and cancel the CT. The great thing about these cars is that they depreciate so slowly that if you want to change your mind later or go with a different model, the penalty is not nearly as bad as other brands. Just some thoughts.

We have had both 2020 LR Model 3 and now performance and to tell you the honest truth we actually get more range with our 2020 Model Y performance than our 2020 Model 3 LR.

I am also not the only person who has had this experience see video I know the video is for Model Y but both models perform very similar.

I'm coming from a BMW M4. I like the LOOK of the brakes and wheels on the performance model, but I have long since realized that I won't ever used those features on the street. I'm also quite certain that my daily driver will never see a track. The cold weather performance of the tires IS an issue for me, because it's frequently in the upper 20s, low 30s during the winter where I live. Another set of wheels/tires would not really be practical for me (expense/storage). I'm leaning towards keeping the LR I ordered. I can always add different wheels/tires later. If they had offered an all season tire on the performance model, I might have been more tempted. The only issue is that every time I see a red performance model on the 20" wheels, I think "dang....that looks nice!" :) I'd also prefer the red brake calipers, but only for the looks. I KNOW I will never actually need them. I'm also an acceleration junky and that .5 sec advantage (performance over LR with Accel Boost) is still calling my name!

I'm coming from a BMW M4. I like the LOOK of the brakes and wheels on the performance model, but I have long since realized that I won't ever used those features on the street. I'm also quite certain that my daily driver will never see a track. The cold weather performance of the tires IS an issue for me, because it's frequently in the upper 20s, low 30s during the winter where I live. Another set of wheels/tires would not really be practical for me (expense/storage). I'm leaning towards keeping the LR I ordered. I can always add different wheels/tires later. If they had offered an all season tire on the performance model, I might have been more tempted. The only issue is that every time I see a red performance model on the 20" wheels, I think "dang....that looks nice!" :) I'd also prefer the red brake calipers, but only for the looks. I KNOW I will never actually need them. I'm also an acceleration junky and that .5 sec advantage (performance over LR with Accel Boost) is still calling my name!
We have the performance model but have opted to switch out the tires to 19” hakkapalitta studded winters (best winter tire) I just put the Uber turbine rims and wheels in my garage.

Once you get the accelleration bost, the LR is very fast, the 0-60 (1ft roll out) is 3.5secs. At higher speeds the cars performance gets even closer to the performance.
Your main decision points are these,
Cost - the extra on the initial price + you will need to get winter tires and wheels. If money is no object then just go for the performance.
Are you going to take it to the track? If not, honestly the LR has more speed than you really need for everyday driving, and you can smoke the vast majority of other cars with ease.

Reactions: izzelsizzel
Bear in mind you can also put 20inch all season tires on the rims. Also as others have noted, unlike FSD you can never upgrade to performance so now is your chance. Coming from an M4, I would think performance is the way to go. Lastly bear in mind that HP decreases with SOC so the performance will offer more headroom over the LR. Maybe the LR is fast enough for you at 90 SOC but what about at 60?

Todd,

The three biggest areas causing Range Loss are the following. First are the heavier wheels, the rotational force requires more energy and the loss of the wheel covers that reduce drag. Have you seen the large Tractor Trailers going down the interstate with the skirts around the tractor and the trailer, they are expensive, but they reduce drag so much that they pay for themselves in a short time through fuel savings.

Secondly the spoiler, the downward force improves handling and traction at higher speeds, but as an engineer I can tell you that there are always trade offs. With this higher downforce comes greater drag and that drag will reduce range.
And the third? ;-)

You can't go wrong with either choice.
I have the Dual Motor and love it, but I do admire the acceleration and performance components like the brakes, and suspension on the 3P. I'm not a fan of the 20 in wheels due to weight, ride, and damage risk, and prefer 19" wheels, as a great middle ground.
I set-up my 18" Aero wheels with winter tires, and run 19" wheel/tire summer combo that best the stock set-up in cost, weight, and tread life.
Having the Aero's has been a big plus for winter cross country road trips where all weather traction and max range is important.

The added acceleration would be fun for "showing-it-off", but from a practical perspective, I wouldn't use it much.

You can't go wrong with either choice.
I have the Dual Motor and love it, but I do admire the acceleration and performance components like the brakes, and suspension on the 3P. I'm not a fan of the 20 in wheels due to weight, ride, and damage risk, and prefer 19" wheels, as a great middle ground.
I set-up my 18" Aero wheels with winter tires, and run 19" wheel/tire summer combo that best the stock set-up in cost, weight, and tread life.
Having the Aero's has been a big plus for winter cross country road trips where all weather traction and max range is important.

The added acceleration would be fun for "showing-it-off", but from a practical perspective, I wouldn't use it much.

OP is coming from a BMW M4 with 425hp and a 3.8 zero to 60. The awd lr with performance boost will match that car in speed but only at a high SOC. Again, only OP knows what his requirements are for a new car but the performance is really the only one that matches up to an M4 after drop offs due to charging rates are considered.