Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn Between Dual Motor LR and Performance [resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm coming from a BMW M4. I like the LOOK of the brakes and wheels on the performance model, but I have long since realized that I won't ever used those features on the street. I'm also quite certain that my daily driver will never see a track. The cold weather performance of the tires IS an issue for me, because it's frequently in the upper 20s, low 30s during the winter where I live. Another set of wheels/tires would not really be practical for me (expense/storage). I'm leaning towards keeping the LR I ordered. I can always add different wheels/tires later. If they had offered an all season tire on the performance model, I might have been more tempted. The only issue is that every time I see a red performance model on the 20" wheels, I think "dang....that looks nice!" :) I'd also prefer the red brake calipers, but only for the looks. I KNOW I will never actually need them. I'm also an acceleration junky and that .5 sec advantage (performance over LR with Accel Boost) is still calling my name!
They some real nice caliper covers at RPM Tesla, i just installed on my 2019 AWD+ and the really look.

A 0.5s difference to 60 isn't a small difference. Thats a couple car length lead or the difference between an M3 and a regular M340. I bet a sizeable portion of Performance trim owners would pay $5k for a Ludicrous upgrade which would only be a 0.5s improvement if the car were capable of it. Wasn't the original Ludicrous upgrade a $20k option for a 0.5s speed boost?

Also, a good canyon drive or hard driving in the desert will get your car into limp mode pretty quickly without Track Mode. That additional cooling is fantastic.

Reactions: Venom and oreobbq
A 0.5s difference to 60 isn't a small difference. Thats a couple car length lead or the difference between an M3 and a regular M340. I bet a sizeable portion of Performance trim owners would pay $5k for a Ludicrous upgrade which would only be a 0.5s improvement if the car were capable of it. Wasn't the original Ludicrous upgrade a $20k option for a 0.5s speed boost?

Also, a good canyon drive or hard driving in the desert will get your car into limp mode pretty quickly without Track Mode. That additional cooling is fantastic.
Maybe not 5k but I’d definitely pay 2k for an extra .5 second....and I agree .5 seconds is a significant improvement.

The decision to pick the Performance over the LR is purely emotional; both are already acceleration beasts. It's more about whether you emotionally "need" to have the fastest car at at stoplight against another Model 3 (because that's probably the only place you'll get to prove yourself), or if you're still at the age where this car is the biggest purchase of your life and it's life-or-death important that others "know" you have the "best."

All things being equal and if you have the disposable cash, the Performance would be fun to have, with the key word being *fun*! In all other ways, the LR is more than enough.

OP is coming from a BMW M4 with 425hp and a 3.8 zero to 60. The awd lr with performance boost will match that car in speed but only at a high SOC. Again, only OP knows what his requirements are for a new car but the performance is really the only one that matches up to an M4 after drop offs due to charging rates are considered.

Unless you have sticky tires on a prepped surface you'd be hard pressed to get advertised numbers with the M4 and most rwd cars. From a dig, the M3P requires no thought, just press the pedal. Wish I could have both cars.

I opted for the performance model for the same reason I previously drove BMW M cars. Looks aside, for me it's about the feel. Like others have said, it comes down to personal preference. I would have been fine with a LR from a practical standpoint. But then again, I've always been a bit irrational when it comes to cars and bikes:)

Reactions: techzelle

I completely agree with you. 0.5s is a huge difference and definitely feels very different.

Yeah.....But I am sure I would never use it. I road race shifter karts and get my track time there. My daily driver will never see the track and will likely be handed down to my daughter in 3-4 years.

If you get the perf mode, your daughter's boyfriend will thank you.

That last sentence is what I am afraid of! There's some truth to the first paragraph as well. That's why I am on the fence. Nobody really answered my original question (or maybe I did not post it?). How does the ride compare between the performance and the LR AWD with 18inch stockers?

I test drove the LR with 18 inch, and bought the LR with 19 inch. Did not drive the perf.
The 18 was a bit bouncy. It's a decently solid ride with the 19.
I had a BMW M3, which I think was more stable than the 19. it was a 4.4 0-60, and the LR is faster than that.

I'm super happy with the LR with 19 and want to drive it a few months before getting the boost. Then I can better appreciate the difference and have it feel like a new car.

Your situation and questions, suggest to me that you should get a LR with 19 inch.
Then get the boost later, whenever you really want it.

The decision to pick the Performance over the LR is purely emotional; both are already acceleration beasts. It's more about whether you emotionally "need" to have the fastest car at at stoplight against another Model 3 (because that's probably the only place you'll get to prove yourself), or if you're still at the age where this car is the biggest purchase of your life and it's life-or-death important that others "know" you have the "best."

Dude seriously? What about the lowered stance, brakes, spoiler, etc? There's more to the performance package than an extra .5 seconds 0-60. And sounds like you might be harboring a little envy there, just sayin'. ;)

Tim

Guys,

I have ordered a long range dual motor AWD Model 3. It's supposed to be delivered sometime in March. I'm seriously considering changing to a performance model. I really wanted a "stealth performance", but that's not available as far as I know. Has anyone driven the cars back to back who could compare the ride? I'm concerned about the low profile summer tires on the performance as I live in an area that sees 20s and 30s fairly often in the winter. I'd also like to know what accounts for the lower range rating of the performance model. My understanding is that the hardware is the same (battery, motors, etc.) and that it's the software that accounts for the greater acceleration of the performance model. If that's the case, why less range? Finally, is the acceleration significantly different in terms of feel? I know the numbers but I would like to know if there's really that much seat of the pants difference in the two cars.

Thanks for the advice. If I am going to switch to the performance, I need to do it soon. I figure that there is a $6000.00 difference in the two. There's an $8000.00 difference at purchase, but then I would buy the acceleration boost for the LR, so the real difference would be around $6000.00.

Todd
Others can talk about the small mechanical differences between the two cars and they make sense, but I want to speak to the incredible performance metrics of the M3P. I bought my model 3 performance in May 2018. Often I drive it in a very conservative manner, sometimes not. It has the most incredible mix of Jekyl and Hyde. I have taken my M3P to the drag strip 3 times and have recorded a best of 11.545 on a bone stock car. I let an experienced drag racer drive the car at the strip and he said “I think a chimpanzee could drive this car”. I bought a dragy and have confirmed these times on the street, on damp roads the car will run 11.7 according to the dragy!! That is just downright phenomenal. I think the bigger brakes are useful if you use the performance this car has to offer. I have no way of knowing if my car will corner at .98G like I have read but I think it will. I am 72 and been a 2 wheel and 4 wheel motorhead all of my life, my last internal combustion sports car was a Corvette Z06 with a 6 speed. I love performance and I really love my M3P. Get the performance, I don’t think you will be sorry. If you have to spend less omit the FSD, I rarely use it, I use the performance all the time. Better to have it and not use it than want it and not be able to get it. That’s my two cents.

OP is coming from a BMW M4 with 425hp and a 3.8 zero to 60. The awd lr with performance boost will match that car in speed but only at a high SOC. Again, only OP knows what his requirements are for a new car but the performance is really the only one that matches up to an M4 after drop offs due to charging rates are considered.
The difference between my 3.7 sec Model 3 and his former M4 is I don't have to use launch control and rev up the engine to get 3.7 sec.
I sit silently at the light while M4 makes a scene for a few seconds. And the instant torque of Tesla makes it much more enjoyable.

The difference between my 3.7 sec Model 3 and his former M4 is I don't have to use launch control and rev up the engine to get 3.7 sec.
I sit silently at the light while M4 makes a scene for a few seconds. And the instant torque of Tesla makes it much more enjoyable.
Exactly.....that's why I sold it. I'm 52 years old. The M4 was fast, but especially with the 6 speed, it was such a production to pull away quickly, I never really used it! Enter Tesla!

Reactions: SlimJim
I was on the fence as well, 99% set on LR then when I clicked order I was like screw it I’ll take the performance. For me, other than being unique ( there is at least 7 model 3 non p in my condo), what made me go for Perf was track mode. Not that i planned to track it much, but I like being able to adjust torque split and regen. I also like the look of the uberturbine wheels.

Speed wise off the line the performance is quicker but I honestly can’t tell the difference once you get going (didnt drive them back to back, just butt dyno)

Dude seriously? What about the lowered stance, brakes, spoiler, etc? There's more to the performance package than an extra .5 seconds 0-60. And sounds like you might be harboring a little envy there, just sayin'. ;)

Tim
Envious enough to purposefully choose the model with all-season tires and FSD, instead of the Performance!

Disclaimer: both FSD and the Performance are equally illogical and frivolous, but I reserve the right to blow some cash for fun.

Are you racing other cars on the track or street? Do you need to compensate for a "short-coming" or need something to show off to friends? If so, get the perf.

You kinda sound like someone that bought a LR and cannot help yourself looking at the M3P further down the street thinking 'if only I could have convinced my wife...'. ;)

So subjective. I’m guessing most of us had the same question regarding LR AWD vs. Performance. For me, similar to what you mentioned, I ended up going LR AWD for the increased range and cause it’s already faster/quicker than I’ll probably ever need it to be. And if I want, getting the a acceleration boost gets me close to enough to a Performance while being much cheaper overall.

Envious enough to purposefully choose the model with all-season tires and FSD, instead of the Performance!

Disclaimer: both FSD and the Performance are equally illogical and frivolous, but I reserve the right to blow some cash for fun.
Disagree with this. FSD in its current form is waaaaay more frivolous than Performance. Talk about a cheap party trick. No issue with someone valuing FSD but the ROI on FSD is terrible. Something like 3k at resale. I’m certain the Performance upgrade will do better than that.

Reactions: Gasaraki