Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn on which one to get

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Dual motor, add the acceleration boost. Smoother ride than P, still amazing performance. I wish they made the model 3 with a hatchback….I like the looks and handling better than the Y. But sometimes, though not often, i wish I had more cargo room. I don’t need all that space that the Y offers, just sometimes need to get stuff in the back that won’t fit through the trunk opening.
omfg it absolutely kills me that the M3 doesn't have a hatchback. I actually think if it was, I would have ZERO struggle deciding between the Y and the 3. This still bothers me a lot.

Reactions: El joe and Spuzzz
Satin ppf is more work in that it's less durable and there are certain products that will ruin it by making it glossy. (I read - never owned). Like I said I ended up getting 2.5$k of partial glossy ppf - part of that is not wanting to spend 6k on matte
I should do more research on this. I have heard all of that to be true for wrap and heard mixed but mostly the opposite about matte PPF. I have only been looking at XPEL Stealth anyway. I do hear it's slightly less durable long term but that's very long term and might not matter for me.

But if it really is some high maintaince thing then yeah I would prefer not to. Perhaps I will start another forum since searching gives you too many answers.

Based on your comments I would choose 3 over Y. Why? The Y is more practical (hitch, towing, hatchback, higher ride). But it doesn't sound like you would value those things. There are cons to the Y as well, including cabin boominess (sound). I have a 3 LR RWD and a Y LR AWD. They Y is fun in the mud and is great for camping. Otherwise I prefer the 3.

What do you think about the 7 seater feature?

Based on your comments I would not do a SR. Why? Sounds like you value the very small range difference of 3 over Y ... While technically you may not need the LR range it is just nice not to have to plug in but once a week. You also take a hit on sound, etc.

Finally 3LRAWD vs 3P ...

If you are going to do 18" would you be happy with the stock rims?

If so then that is a point in favour of the LR.

I replaced my OEM tires on my RWD LR 3 at 22k. I can't imagine how long they would have lasted on a P :). That said they where prorated under warranty so it didn't cost much to replace.

Which do I prefer to drive when I am by myself? The 3. Which do I drive when with family/take kids to school? The Y.

Good luck in choosing, I couldn't finalize on one either lol.
Good questions. The stock wheels sound nice in terms of cost but also max range. I wish the design of the aero cap was a bit more like the Y. I think the Y aero caps are very tastefully done. I will probably spend some time messing with the aero caps on the 3 with some kind of wrap or what not. Hard to say. Changing wheels can bring weight benefits but ultimately all seem to knock the range a little bit due to increased drag.

You are very spot on about that boomy quality of the Y. I do notice that. In music, road noise, just talking in the car...

Obviously it's a game of price to is it worth it.

I think the long range is a nice balance but when you look at the monthly payment, going for performance is just another 100 a month. However, first thing I'd want to do is get rid of the wheels and go down to 18's for ride comfort and what not. So right away I'd hope to sell the wheels and tires and replace with something aftermarket.

Standard range sounds nice enough. I can feel the difference in how it drives only having power in the rear. Speakers are meh but I could live with it. I drive with headphones sometimes anyway for the noise cancelling.

With the way Tesla holds value right now (and I know it won't necessarily always be this way) it's both tempting to get the base or high version since maybe I won't keep either too long.

I'm even contemplating the Y. It seems more practical but it's definitely less comfortable and a little less range. Extra storage is nice but first thing I'd do is upgrade the suspension. Don't feel I'd need to on the 3.

I'm so lost...Lord help me make a decision.

There's also the one where you just keep waiting because of a fear of buyer's remorse. This is where the idea of it holding value well comes into play, though.

What a mess...

Planning to wrap in stealth whatever I get.

Get long range and add acc boost later if you want to.

Largely that the middle trim has the speaker upgrade, seats, steering is heated now right? And awd with more range.
Yes, new models comes with heated steering wheels.

So far, I’m actually glad I got a ‘20 Performance. I prefer to have a more simple car; ie no heated steering wheel, no power trunk, no heat pump. Simplicity is part of why I bought a 3 over an S. (Slight tangent)

Actually, a Performance is not exactly what I would prefer. I’d prefer the equivalent to an EV Mustang; relatively inexpensive, 2-door, 2+2, sporty appearance, sporty handling. And no, the Mach E is NOT a Mustang IMO. 🤮 🤪 Model 3 Performance is the closest thing in the market currently that fills that want. But I do recognize my considerations are part of the minority. Most people have a more utilitarian perspective on automobiles and would prefer an LR.

Yes, new models comes with heated steering wheels.

So far, I’m actually glad I got a ‘20 Performance. I prefer to have a more simple car; ie no heated steering wheel, no power trunk, no heat pump. Simplicity is part of why I bought a 3 over an S. (Slight tangent)

Actually, a Performance is not exactly what I would prefer. I’d prefer the equivalent to an EV Mustang; relatively inexpensive, 2-door, 2+2, sporty appearance, sporty handling. And no, the Mach E is NOT a Mustang IMO. 🤮 🤪 Model 3 Performance is the closest thing in the market currently that fills that want. But I do recognize my considerations are part of the minority. Most people have a more utilitarian perspective on automobiles and would prefer an LR.
I thought the Mach E was such a mess inside. So many buttons and it made the car look very old inside. Like 2000's but then this really modern screen which had poor navigation. I think Ford has a way to go but I know they have their own followers. Hard to say how it'll do. I don't see very many out there. Probably see about 50 Y's for every Mach E. Maybe not even that much.

I like features but a clean and simple dash.

The area you live in may play a role too. I really enjoy fast sport sedans and was debating between model 3 LR and P. However living in the Cleveland OH area with cold snowy winters and not so great roads I wasn’t crazy about getting the lowered suspension and larger wheels of the P. Plus range is less in the cold. When I learned about the AB option for 2K bringing 0-60 to 3.7s I was ecstatic. That was close enough for me to the P. I have had mine for 2 months and couldn’t be happier. The prior fastest car I owned was a 340i Xdrive (which was fantastic) and this is in a different league. However if I was living in California I think the decision would have been tougher and I may have leaned towards the P. Either option is still great.

Reactions: ZapCarM3
The area you live in may play a role too. I really enjoy fast sport sedans and was debating between model 3 LR and P. However living in the Cleveland OH area with cold snowy winters and not so great roads I wasn’t crazy about getting the lowered suspension and larger wheels of the P. Plus range is less in the cold. When I learned about the AB option for 2K bringing 0-60 to 3.7s I was ecstatic. That was close enough for me to the P. I have had mine for 2 months and couldn’t be happier. The prior fastest car I owned was a 340i Xdrive (which was fantastic) and this is in a different league. However if I was living in California I think the decision would have been tougher and I may have leaned towards the P. Either option is still great.
I am in cali but for you the decision might have been more practical. For me, practical isn't factoring in that kind of weather as much and with the heat pump, I wonder how relevant the P or LR decision really is. I think getting aftermarket wheels on either will mean the range should be the same.

I am in cali but for you the decision might have been more practical. For me, practical isn't factoring in that kind of weather as much and with the heat pump, I wonder how relevant the P or LR decision really is. I think getting aftermarket wheels on either will mean the range should be the same.
Yes I agree for you in Cali it’s a tougher decision. If the price is not a big deal I would go for the performance so no “what if” thoughts. If you are stretching yourself for the P rest assured the LR with AB is still a rocket. Also above 60 they are not much different and while I would love to floor it from 0 every chance I could the reality is there aren’t that many opportunities in day to day driving to take full advantage of even the LR with AB. If you track it that’s different.

When did you get yours? You think quality is less of an issue now? I've seen recent builds and they seem perfect sometimes and I'm very detail aware.

You do a good job with the questions and they are all valid. I struglle with the P and LR because 2K seems like such a scam because it means the LR could have been that fast the whole time but they disable that speed with software so it feels like a rip off to upgrade. But I get it and don't necessarily disagree with their choice to do that.

So in some sense, it almost just feels practical to not spend the 2k for the boost and use that towards the performance and get more speed and the brakes, etc. But then I'll wanna switch out the wheels and tires for some all seasons and 18" because I like speed and comfort.
I needed a 7 seaters because of the number of kids I have so I couldn’t get a Model Y Performance.

if they offered it for 7 seater. I would have taken it because when I have an emergency at work, I beat my car and drive it Like its a rental. Maybe only 3-4 times a year

Yes I agree for you in Cali it’s a tougher decision. If the price is not a big deal I would go for the performance so no “what if” thoughts. If you are stretching yourself for the P rest assured the LR with AB is still a rocket. Also above 60 they are not much different and while I would love to floor it from 0 every chance I could the reality is there aren’t that many opportunities in day to day driving to take full advantage of even the LR with AB. If you track it that’s different.
I agree past 60 it's not as interesting of a difference.

Lol watch me just wait for the S after all...

Not going to jump on such early versions of any Tesla, though. Hopefully I just get the LR and I'm happy. It's still half a second faster than LR Y and cheaper/more comfortable.

Reactions: cardsdoc
Good questions. The stock wheels sound nice in terms of cost but also max range. I wish the design of the aero cap was a bit more like the Y. I think the Y aero caps are very tastefully done. I will probably spend some time messing with the aero caps on the 3 with some kind of wrap or what not. Hard to say. Changing wheels can bring weight benefits but ultimately all seem to knock the range a little bit due to increased drag.

You are very spot on about that boomy quality of the Y. I do notice that. In music, road noise, just talking in the car...

I took off the aeros at delivery, that is an option ...

MVIMG_20200808_184139.jpg

Reactions: moodel_tree
Obviously it's a game of price to is it worth it.
Quick perspective about trade in value. As there is an abundance of people sharing Tesla’s trade-in offer for their current car, I have had several opportunities to compare my 2018 LR AWD to 2018 performance quotes. With FSD and 21,000 miles, Tesla’s current trade in offer to me is $48,500. Someone with performance, 40k-something miles and FSD had a $47k offer. One other I saw had miles closer to mine and offer was in the low $50’s. My conclusion has been that not much of the delta cost for performance is retained in trade in value, at least 3 years later, in this current, crazy used car market. So if price is a factor, there is not only current cost but future value to be considered.

I think the range is lost from aerodynamics, right? I wonder what is gained from the sportline wheels but I'm thinking them or martian as well.

Do you expect to sell the performance wheels and tires? What's your plan with that?
Yeah the Uberturbines will be for sale as soon as I take delivery. I would order the TSportlines now however I don’t have a VIN assigned yet

Quick perspective about trade in value. As there is an abundance of people sharing Tesla’s trade-in offer for their current car, I have had several opportunities to compare my 2018 LR AWD to 2018 performance quotes. With FSD and 21,000 miles, Tesla’s current trade in offer to me is $48,500. Someone with performance, 40k-something miles and FSD had a $47k offer. One other I saw had miles closer to mine and offer was in the low $50’s. My conclusion has been that not much of the delta cost for performance is retained in trade in value, at least 3 years later, in this current, crazy used car market. So if price is a factor, there is not only current cost but future value to be considered.
Thank you! Makes sense maybe just because it's possibly driven harder on assumption or in less demand, I don't know. But that's interesting and helpful.

Yeah the Uberturbines will be for sale as soon as I take delivery. I would order the TSportlines now however I don’t have a VIN assigned yet
Lemme know how you plan to sell wheelsets. I guess I'm a little stressed about resale value with all the aftermarket things I'd get, especially with performance. Even just the wheels. I guess I only plan to have one for a few years but I certainly have no intention of wasting money on a lease. I'll gamble my odds on the value being upheld enough to make sense of a purchase. Lease limitations are awful.