Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Torn passenger door seal

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not unless you want to GLUE your window to the rubber seal. That's what that stuff is designed for.

Silicone is silicone, run down to your local autozone and ask one of their guys what they recommend. The products have been around so long that I would bet only 2 companies in the world make them, and everyone just re-brands the same stuff.
Oh this isn't for window-to-seal, this would be for the B-pillar trim but also seal-to-body. Replacing the seal around the door requires removal of that B-pillar trim as per that link. It also says that when the B-pillar trim is removed to clean up the adhesive. So I figure this product may be good to add adhesive back on when re-installing the trim.

Also the product should be good for installing the new door seal, but you'd put a line of this product between the seal and body of the car and not between the seal and window. For the seal/window, I actually bought a silicon lubricant for weather which should prevent cracking of the rubber seals and window getting stuck to the rubber during winter. I think that should be good lol

Oh this isn't for window-to-seal, this would be for the B-pillar trim but also seal-to-body. Replacing the seal around the door requires removal of that B-pillar trim as per that link. It also says that when the B-pillar trim is removed to clean up the adhesive. So I figure this product may be good to add adhesive back on when re-installing the trim.

Also the product should be good for installing the new door seal, but you'd put a line of this product between the seal and body of the car and not between the seal and window. For the seal/window, I actually bought a silicon lubricant for weather which should prevent cracking of the rubber seals and window getting stuck to the rubber during winter. I think that should be good lol

Gotcha. In my experience, Tesla has been helpful for questions like that, I just call them up and ask them what I need to perform it myself.

@besnova - if you want to wait, my repair is scheduled for Monday, I can watch the tech some and see exactly what he uses.
So is mine! It would be good to know anyway. Worst case I make another appointment for them to install this for me. I'm most likely going to just take the part with me and do it myself anyway. I called and texted the service center but they must be busy and all out on lunch (12:15 EST), but I'm confident those products will do the job.

@besnova - if you want to wait, my repair is scheduled for Monday, I can watch the tech some and see exactly what he uses.
They just got back to me and said that the B-pillar has double-sided tape on the back, and just some clips and two screws at the bottom. At least that is what they would be doing if I were to do the work there.

They also mentioned that there is no glue between the seal and the body of the car.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: bkp_duke
The first guide below is the general guide on replacing the door seal on driver/passenger side door. This is for the front doors.
Step 1 indicates to remove the B-pillar/Post upper trim, which I have added in below as the second screenshot.

Everything else is pretty easy just needs some patience and time.
1.png

When removing the B post finisher from the body as described below, it stats to remove adhesive. When re-installing, Tesla says it is just double-sided tape, probably just some 3M.
2.png

Hope this helps anybody with this. This is the direct link: Seal - Body - Side - Front - Primary - LH (Remove and Replace)

When I used to work at Honda, we used this silicone grease from Shin Etsu. This stuff is the real deal, it’s pricey but a little bit goes a long way. It offers great protection to rubber seals and even helps with squeaks and rattles. I just bought some, plan to hit my pano roof seals and door seals with it.

Honda Genuine 08798-9013 Silicone Grease https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006Z9TZ9M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fab_1GlGFb6F3021X

This happened to my 2016 refresh for the second time. I had it repaired 1.5 years ago out of warranty and though they said they would look into whether it can be covered as a defect, they never got back to me. It happed again last week, looks the same as the OP's picture and same as what happened last time. There must be a real issue but I can't find it. No sharp glass and no unusual dryness or stickiness that I can tell. I haven't tried using silicone or whatever but I never needed to do that with any other car either.

What can I do but pay for the fix, right? I don't think I have the patience to do it myself.

Last edited:
I have this problem too. Old thread but does anyone know of current cost with tesla for repair and/or cheap diy solution? I have scotch tape holding it in place for now.
FYI: This happened to my MS75 twice out of warranty. The first time, they did not cover it as a defect. The second time, they did cover it. I ended up buying and using the lubricant mentioned in post #28 for the affected window (about once a year) as well as pano and other squeaks that appear. So far so good and no squeaks anywhere. If you feel the area that tears, you can feel that it is very thin there compared to other parts of the door seal and it that is also where the window seems to contact the seal everytime it closes.