Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto Auto Show - Tesla a no show?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The Chicago auto show is run by the "The Chicago Automobile Trade Association (CATA) is the nation's oldest and largest metropolitan dealer organization. The CATA has produced the Chicago Auto Show since 1935." Tesla is never invited to the Chicago Auto show, due to their relationships with the :dealer organizations :)

Tesla geneally avoids the Toronto show... in fact they don't go to many shows at all.

The Toronto show is also run by the dealer association, but they don't lock out Tesla or anything.

In the early days I displayed my Roadster at the Toronto show, at an EV display. The local Tesla people were not authorized to run a booth even though they wanted to. They did quietly provide some assistance at our booth though.

Reactions: Ulmo
I was at the chicago show tonight in full tesla gear, I checked out the 3 EV' sat the show and talked tesla with several people.

I was expecting a whole bunch more tesla talk but everyone was taking pictures of the cars with the old ice tech - it was a bit of a let down

I think that was my last auto show until we get more EV involvement

Tesla does not need to advertise right now. They have a huge backlog on their next flagship product, the Model 3, and their other sales are doing just fine. They're about to do refreshes in a couple of years or less (10 months?) for their Model S and X lines (my wild guess only; no inside info here), at which time they'll have erased any benefit from people looking at old fashioned products like current version S and X. They're saving attention up for their Model Y announcements and roofing & battery products. There's a lot of reasons Tesla is focused on manufacturing their pipelines right now. They have demand they need to meet.

Last year as well. They invited a couple of dozen owners (including me) to add "colour" to the booth, in shifts. It was a blast......

So, it was YOU who was responsible for me buying one in 2016! :) Well, at least one of the owners did along with a test ride. Thanks!

Regardless, it's a shame that Tesla isn't there. There were enough people milling around Tesla, and it helps to build interest from those who want to see and learn more.

Tesla was in Toronto 2 years ago, in the exotics area.

I remember this. I went to that auto show specifically for the Tesla exhibit as it was the first time I had a chance to see an X in person. It was by far the most popular exhibit. It was actually quite amusing to see how empty all the other exotic booths were in that area. I know Tesla isn't big on advertising but this is a great exposure opportunity for the majority of people who still don't know anything about them.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
I won't be going. A car show without Teslas is like a car show without cars!
In my opinion, and I'm sure many agree, Teslas are the only cars out there. Everything else is just a mixture of nuts, bolts, catalytic converters and knobs. Old school!

Reactions: Doug_G
I wouldn't doubt there would be at least 1 Tesla showing at the Toronto Show. But last year was a big one since they brought in a Model X. And yes, it was by far the most popular thing in the Exotic area of the show. I think it was the 2nd best thing to see there since they did bring a Mclaren F1 in too. That there was the highlight for me. It's been forever since I've seen the Mac Daddy up close and personal again.

This year promises to be a great show again. They're bringing in some really high end exotics and very rare vehicles. Don't get me wrong, I do like Tesla alot (and I'm still waiting to see what the final prod version of the Model 3 is going to look like before putting a deposit down) but there are many other vehicles going to the show that deserve equal, if not more, attention than getting into a Tesla.

They're going to have the LeMans winner Ferrari 250 LM! Good Lord! Not to mention a slew of F1's from different era's driven by Canadians.