Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto EVfest

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK ... I have the perfect ... well, it's not perfect ... but the best solution under the circumstances. Take Hwy 7 through some of the most beautiful coloured countryside that this planet can offer. This is almost the height of the colour changing season and hwy 7 takes the shortest route to Toronto. Travel the speed limit (as difficult as that may be in a Tesla) -- take this as a challenge!

When I travel to Ottawa from Toronto to visit my family, I always take this "back road" and enjoy the drive. The time difference is not that different (GPS delta is 22 minutes!) because the distance is so much shorter (although the speed is slower). And, I get to my destination quite relaxed. If I understand the Tesla specs, at 80 KPH, your range almost doubles.

While your in Toronto, if you need a place to spend the night, I don't have a problem having a Tesla parked in my driveway!! Let me know.

Thanks for your keen interest in "Living Better Electrically" ...

~ Erik

Thanks for your offers of help, everyone. You've really gone to some lengths on this.

Robert offered to drive to Kingston with a friend's UMC so I could charge up. That would require him to drive quite a bit farther than me! Robert, I know you're keen but that's just too much to ask.

Erik offered that I drive to his house on the slower Highway 7. Logistically, that's far more feasible. Unfortunately according to Tesla's efficiency curves, it's also on the hairy edge of the range of the Roadster. I wouldn't want the trip to become an advertisement for the perils of range anxiety! I can picture me arriving at Erik's place on a flatbed...

I'll come down for next year's event. By then I'll have a UMC, and no doubt we'll have figured out a convenient way to charge along the route.

Tesla Wins "Best of Show"

The Toronto EV Fest was a big hit with over 500 people passing through the various displays.

At the end of the day, the registrants received a summary email which included the following note:

"Best of Show - was judged to be - the Tesla Roadster Sport, shown by <Prime Mover>.
Thanks for Bringing the Only Pure EV on the road for sale by an OEM today, and making our show come alive even more, with the Jewel of Toronto's EV Fest!"

I thanked them for the award but felt badly that all these EV exhibitors have been hard at work converting their automobiles to electric and I drive in with a stock production car and win "Best of Show".

It was a great event and really helped to increase awareness of EV technology.

To Be Sure, Prime Mover did have some competition, as the other two winners of awards were a prototype EV from Toronto Electric - 'Project Eve' and the Electric Vehicle Society of Canada's own member car - the Porsche944SM - Best Technical!

The Place was packed pretty much the whole day, and the average attended seemed to spend an hour to an hour and a half!
Not bad for a first time event under the new banner - "EV Fest, Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival"

Everyone was enjoying them selves, and every car was enjoyed! Unfortunately, I was torn away from my 'electricfly' to attend to other duties, and just had a small letter sized couple of signs on her, and a sample 40 Ah Thundersky Cell indicating my futur plans!

We had a great time at EV Fest with David's Red Tesla and Jaff was so excited with anticipation of the arrival of his Tesla (and his wife was equally excited about when they will get their S Sedan). On behalf of EV Fest and, in fact, of all of the attendees of EV Fest who got to see a real Tesla up close and personal and talk to an owner/driver (and a driver-to-be), "Thank You". We were disappointed that Tesla Motors of Canada didn't come but, you know what, I think that David and Jaff did a far better job of extolling the virtues of driving better electrically than Hans could have done (no disrespect intended).

I hope to see you again at EV Fest 2011 ...

Thanks PM...very nice of you to help out with allowing your Roadster to be on display and the offer to lend your charging equipment to Doug if required.

I saw Hans yesterday in St. Catharines...he gave me some brochures on the Roadster & a flyer on the Model S to hand out at the show so we'll have some materials available.

Hi Jaff, I missed the Model S demo in Toronto - did you get a chance to check it out? (I have seen it in early editions both in Paint and finished - and the 'Body in White' platform demo at the Detroit Autoshows, so I have a pretty good idea of the car!)

Speaking of the Model S - Would it be something that we could look forward to having join us for this year's EV Fest? (Estimated date of October 23, 2011) Actually - this should be addressed to Hans, but I also know there are a few buyers in the Toronto Area already on the hot list for it, since I have been emailed with a few points to assist the buyer!

The Model S Roadster owners event was a blast...great to see a gaggle of "Canadian" Roadsters & their owners...the red Model S prototype was stunning to say the least...thread about it here Model S Prototype ...it's a shame, but I think we're toast for the prototype for this year's event in October as it will probably still be on tour somewhere else (all the Canadian stops have passed I think)

Nevertheless, I'm sure we can get some Roadsters to attend!

Hi Jaff, I missed the Model S demo in Toronto - did you get a chance to check it out? (I have seen it in early editions both in Paint and finished - and the 'Body in White' platform demo at the Detroit Autoshows, so I have a pretty good idea of the car!)

Speaking of the Model S - Would it be something that we could look forward to having join us for this year's EV Fest? (Estimated date of October 23, 2011) Actually - this should be addressed to Hans, but I also know there are a few buyers in the Toronto Area already on the hot list for it, since I have been emailed with a few points to assist the buyer!

Finally got around to getting the Mobile Connector, so the logistics should be a lot easier next time. I heard there is an event in the spring?

Hi Doug, We did not do our own Spring Show this year, but we joined up with the Canadian Aerospace Museum for their Wings & Wheels Heritage Festival on May 28-29, 2011.

However - we definitely would be happy to have you join us for EV fest 2011 this coming October (Intially Planned for October 23, 2011), and to share your story of the trip from Ottawa to Toronto by Electric Vehicle!! (Video? Picture Powerpoint? Poster Board?) Robert

Early thoughts for EV Fest, were to find a location on a runway, in a Hangar or such building, enabling invitation of Electric Aircraft, as well as Vehicles on 2,3, and 4 wheels that don't fly, and Electric Boats that can be trailered in. Since I work at Bombardier, which is located on the Downsview Airport, and they are in Toronto, that is my biggest interest for such a location. Hard contacts have not yet been made nor such and offer given directly, but one director offered to introduce me to a contact to try and make it happen, so - we will see if I need to get directly pro-active and find this contact!

Would any of the Tesla Owners/Drivers be interested in Assisting with Planning for EV Fest 2011?

However - we definitely would be happy to have you join us for EV fest 2011 this coming October (Intially Planned for October 23, 2011), and to share your story of the trip from Ottawa to Toronto by Electric Vehicle!! (Video? Picture Powerpoint? Poster Board?) Robert

Sure, sounds like fun. I've actually already done an Ottawa-Toronto trip, to see the Model S prototype. Can absolutely do a talk/show of some kind.

I just moved to the Ottawa/Gatineau area ~ there is an annual car show here in Aylmer that just concluded (last weekend) - no EV's present, and I understand this year's show (2011) was the last year they will be having it. Maybe next year - same time and place - any/all Ontario/Québec EV owners could organize an EV Car show ;). I'd be happy to facilitate, as I live next door to the venue, and am friends with the local councillor.

I just moved to the Ottawa/Gatineau area ~ there is an annual car show here in Aylmer that just concluded (last weekend) - no EV's present, and I understand this year's show (2011) was the last year they will be having it. Maybe next year - same time and place - any/all Ontario/Québec EV owners could organize an EV Car show ;). I'd be happy to facilitate, as I live next door to the venue, and am friends with the local councillor.

Well I could bring my Roadster easily enough... but organizing any kind of event is usually a pretty big deal. What did you have in mind?

Nothing too serious. I am confident that with as many attendees/participants as the show had this year, 2011 will not be the last. It may be smaller next year, in which case - it would be great to have some EV's present... we'll see what happens. In the meantime - and after some regional deliveries of S models later next year - a rally of some sort could be organized? Here is the link to the Aylmer Show's site... http://www.autoshowaylmer.com/

Sure, sounds like fun. I've actually already done an Ottawa-Toronto trip, to see the Model S prototype. Can absolutely do a talk/show of some kind.
Hi Doug_G - if that offer is still open - keep your eye on EV Fest - Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival as I have 'shuffled the deck' and moved last years event (EV Fest 2010) down to a link from past events, and am starting on the new site. Registration for exhibitors for EV Fest is 99% Ready and if you follow the links on the EV Fest home page and Register for the Early Notification List - you will likley be getting an email quickly from that with the update details!

I have been off the list for some time, but hope to get things going again, and - EV Fest 2011 will be at a new Venue, but as I said - it will be on Sunday, October 23, 2011!! Who Else wants to come? We should be having Prius PHV's on Display and a Ride & Drive, Plus we are working on iMiEV's, Smart ED, Volt's, Focus Electric's, and a growing assortment of Personal EV's!

So - Who Wants to Come? Better - Who Wants to Come with Their Roadster? (Maybe We can have a Roadster Rainbow set up for arrival?)

http://evfest.ca/

Toronto is having an "EVfest" on Sunday, Oct 17 / 10 at Toyota-Lexus on the Park (Leslie & Eglinton in Toronto) from 11:00 am to 4:00 pm.

Any of the Ontario Roadster owners planning to attend? :biggrin:

>> Jump Ahead to 2011 >>

The new date will be Sunday October 23, 2011, at the Evergreen Brickworks at 550 Bayview Ave., Toronto. The Website will shortly be updated, I have been working on getting the New Registration Pages Ready, and will build the website with the same relevant info, but this years site is the Holcim Gallery for the inside show, and as such - I had to step up to the plate as the one who commited the fees, so there will be a request for some payment from each exhibitor for inside displays only.
Hope this does not put a damper on personal cars, but if there are any Q's just ask me!

We are working on a time extension of one hour at each end - for 10AM to 5 PM this year, as well as having one OEM already offering Ride & Drives, and other juicy stuff to be available!! EV Fest - Toronto's Premier Electric Vehicle Fall Festival

Should be able to make it this year. Anyone know of a better place to charge than Ganonoque? It would be a lot easier drive if I could find a charge point a lot closer to half-way. Somewhere in the Kingston area would be much better.

Should be able to make it this year. Anyone know of a better place to charge than Ganonoque? It would be a lot easier drive if I could find a charge point a lot closer to half-way. Somewhere in the Kingston area would be much better.

Don't know if this would help but you might try one of the few Canadian Nissan dealerships that have been selected to sell the Leaf. Not sure if they would let you or if they have any that would be convenient but you could call ahead and see.
The list of dealerships by province is listed here (NISSAN CANADA ANNOUNCES RETAIL NETWORK FOR ALL-ELECTRIC NISSAN LEAF).
Another way to get list with the phone numbers is to go through the registration site (drive electric tour) and select Ontario.

@Doug G
There is an accessible J1772 charging station outside the GM office in Oshawa at 500 Wentworth St W. I have not tested it out with my Tesla yet, but I did confirm that it is at the front of the building, with spots marked as EV Parking. I was able to activate the system with my PayPass card.

If you are running low on power as you approach Toronto, this may be helpful.

Hopefully we see something in Kingston soon.

David