Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto Hydro (Possible) Rebate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the rebate is not necessary...other than perhaps helping to off set the cost of a second meter, most of the EV drivers I know would gladly grant their local utility company access to their usage records for the greater good of helping manage future load projections...I gave my local utility permission to view my two EV household's usage records over a year ago...

Without a rebate, how many people would participate in their studies and would they get the right kind of volunteers?

With a smart meter (which I have two of now), this should really boil down to just a billing problem on the utility side. The will to do it (and ROI) is the issue.

Unfortunately not. To bill on Hourly Pricing, Measurement Canada (the federal agency that regulates metrology) requires an "Interval Meter" that has discreet, sealed interval registers. Smart Meters only record kWh consumption and time. While it sounds the same (i.e. track kWhrs in hourly time buckets), Measurement Canada does not see it that way.

I have followed up with Toronto hydro and they are coming out to look and see if my install meets their need for info. From what I have been told is there is a one time rebate to cover the meter install and the utility bill. this up to $500.00I'm not a big fan of having a third meter installed on the side of my house so that will be a point of discussion. I have a main and PV meter along with disconnects and outdoor load centres already ther so I hope it can be done with a discreet sub meter.

Unfortunately not. To bill on Hourly Pricing, Measurement Canada (the federal agency that regulates metrology) requires an "Interval Meter" that has discreet, sealed interval registers. Smart Meters only record kWh consumption and time. While it sounds the same (i.e. track kWhrs in hourly time buckets), Measurement Canada does not see it that way.

Interesting.

Measurement Canada doesn't get involved in telco billing. Same concept.

I have followed up with Toronto hydro and they are coming out to look and see if my install meets their need for info. From what I have been told is there is a one time rebate to cover the meter install and the utility bill. this up to $500.00I'm not a big fan of having a third meter installed on the side of my house so that will be a point of discussion. I have a main and PV meter along with disconnects and outdoor load centres already ther so I hope it can be done with a discreet sub meter.

My rebate was $1900.

It's only $500. He probably saved more as he would have had to upgrade the service to the garage. TO hydro will subsidize the install if it's not done already.

I have signed up.

It varies. They will tell you that.

Depends on your situation (where you are, service you're interested in, existing capabilities).

It was $500 for you based on their criteria. If I installed a NEMA 14-50 off my existing service it would have been $500. The extra dough was to help offset the cost of the separate service and meter.

I just had my field visit and they are very interested as there are no other EVs in my area signed up. They said it was a $500 incentive. I already have a NEMA 14-50 installed right next to my panel so they just have to put in a meter which they will pay for.