Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto - Lawrence Supercharger To Close -Concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you don't have charging at your home or work at a minimum, you should not buy an EV. Superchargers are designed for travel not everyday charging. If/when the number of EV increase the charging system will never work if many are charging at public charging stations as their primary charging source. Also one of the big advantages of EV's is the use of power in low demand periods (At night) Charging in the day only adds to the problem of high demand and the need to build new power plants.

Last edited:
If you don't have charging at your home or work at a minimum, you should not buy an EV. Superchargers are designed for travel not everyday charging. If/when the number of EV increase the charging system will never work if many are charging at public charging stations as their primary charging source. Also one of the big advantages of EV's is the use of power in low demand periods (At night) Charging in the day only adds to the problem of high demand and the need to build new power plants.
No. people buy an electric car so to save the planet. They are able to use public charging, but Supercharging as well. Why do you think Tesla installed Urban Supercharging? So that people who don’t have access to a home charger can get a weekly QC. I’m not in Tory or in Van so I don’t know that well, but I hear that it’s extremely difficult to get a charger installed at your condo, a little less at work.

Don't worry about it.

Based on my sources, there is a replacement larger, better located Supercharger in the works in the immediate area. Can't give more details other than that the location was mentioned in this thread ;)
Boy, you are a tease! I think we can narrow your mystery location down to ........Toronto....somewhere. I have to remain sceptical though. I remember last year and all the teasing from Tesla about a great new charger for the central Toronto crowd, and what we got was the Eaton Centre charger, where it costs you about $15 after tax to get your "free" supercharge after driving through the city core's choked streets. Sure was lunch-bag-let-down big time that time. The low usage on that charger is an indictment of that charger's usability. Let's hope your sources have a handle on a better plan!

• Funny
Reactions: MarcoRP
I think in theory Adaptabl, you're correct; that superchargers are intended generally for en-route charging, but in practice there are exceptions, and those in condos or on street-parking need a short-term solution while those in power positions get their s--t together. I'd agree with Mr PlugShare that we can't wait for the power players to catch up, we get our EVs and then push hard for change, and use superchargers as replacements for home-charging in the short term. It's not ideal for the reasons you give (charging during peak power periods etc), but all the more reason to get real solutions in place, and that solution is not to delay purchasing EVs, this just allows the power players more time to do nothing. At the moment, I'm after the Transportation department at the City to stop sitting on their rumps and provide a standard approach to approving curb-side private chargers in circumstances where there are not major physical obstacles, and I can tell you it's an uphill battle big time. But it won't happen until a large number of EV owners hit on their political representatives and make waves, not wait for these bozos to act on their own. There. I'll step down off my soap box and give it a rest. ;)

Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Condo boards are dinosaurs and NIMBYers because it increases common fees to install hardware. However, they're more than happy to increase maintenance fees to increase profits for the property management.
One of the strangest things I've read on this forum.

Condo boards are made up of volunteer owners of units of the building.

They have zero interest in raising fees to help property management...raising fees does nothing to help property management anyway.

Condo fees are typically increased over time according to a reserve fund study produced by an engineering firm to pay for planned maintenance and improvements to the building. You should review this before you buy a unit. It's called a reserve fund study. Might help avoid some future surprises.

Often when a new condo opens the management fees are jacked way up in year one because the fees shown by the builder when selling the units are way less than reality. That's to help sell units sadly. Once the board is assembled and a reserve fund study is done, it often shines a light on this and means an increase has to be called for.

Of course then owners blame the condo board members for the increase because they're the ones telling everyone about it at the AGM. Being a condo director is a thankless job and is often misunderstood. There's NOTHING in it for them, other than exercising some control over their home.

Although they do get all the ignorant criticism they can eat from uninformed unit owners. That's free and they get to fill their pockets with that.

Last edited:

They have zero interest in raising fees to help property management...raising fees does nothing to help property management anyway.

Condo fees are typically increased over time according to a reserve fund study produced by an engineering firm to pay for planned maintenance and improvements to the building. You should review this before you buy a unit. It's called a reserve fund study. Might help avoid some future surprises.

Often when a new condo opens the management fees are jacked way up in year one because the fees shown by the builder when selling the units are way less than reality. That's to help sell units sadly. Once the board is assembled and a reserve fund study is done, it often shines a light on this and means an increase has to be called for.

Of course then owners blame the condo board members for the increase because they're the ones telling everyone about it at the AGM. Being a condo director is a thankless job and is often misunderstood. There's NOTHING in it for them, other than exercising some control over their home.

Although they do get all the ignorant criticism they can eat from uninformed unit owners. That's free and they get to fill their pockets with that.

I've worked for Condo security for seven years and seen my share of both good and bad condo boards. Your points are correct from the "good" side. I've seen power hungry people hijacking their condos and causing so much *sugar* that lawyers get involved. Both our sides of the coin have such people - it's life :).

Tougher regulations for realistic marketing of condo fees are needed - sadly that won't happen under this mayor or Queens Park.

No. people buy an electric car so to save the planet. They are able to use public charging, but Supercharging as well. Why do you think Tesla installed Urban Supercharging? So that people who don’t have access to a home charger can get a weekly QC. I’m not in Tory or in Van so I don’t know that well, but I hear that it’s extremely difficult to get a charger installed at your condo, a little less at work.

There a many more effective ways to save the planet than an EV.

I suspect most board members do have EV's and are unwilling to pass cost of adding charging to other owners who have no interest in EV charging. That's why they were elected.

>>Sounds like you're speaking from personal experience! I can understand where you're coming from, although, not living in a condo myself, I do hear a lot of problems with condo boards not really getting behind the need for charging down the the condo parking garages, even when the work to be done would be paid for by the individual owner(s). There seems to be a lot of mistaken liability issues that require education to solve. I imagine as an EV driver you've been able to help educational those you work with and get chargers in where warranted in your building. All the best!

When do you need supercharging in Toronto ?

Either
A) if you live there but can't home charge (you can still charge other places though so you don't really 'need' supercharging
B) if you're visiting from afar (but if you're arriving via qew/Gardiner, 401 east, 401 west, 404 or 400, you will have ample supercharging opportunities within 50 kms of the city, so in fact you don't need to charge in town.

So...whats the problem? I'm not at all concerned.

March of 2017?hell yeah that would have made me not buy a tesla. Back the only superchargers within 200 kms of the city other than Lawrence were port hope, Grimsby and Barrie! Today pickering, Vaughan, 2 Markham, sherway and Mapleview mean I barely think about my state of charge, let alone have range anxiety (which I did constantly 2 yrs ago)
^^^^This

The current state of superchcargers in the GTA is really an embarrassment of riches. Sure, it will get even better at some point in the future but for someone (like me) who remembers what owning an EV without having home charging was like even just a couple years ago, this current situation is not at all difficult, especially not in Toronto.

^^^^This

The current state of superchcargers in the GTA is really an embarrassment of riches. Sure, it will get even better at some point in the future but for someone (like me) who remembers what owning an EV without having home charging was like even just a couple years ago, this current situation is not at all difficult, especially not in Toronto.
Can you indicate your approximate home-base location?

Thanks for the added input. According to World Population Review, Metropolitan Seattle has a population of around 3.5 million, and the Tesla charging map shows 8 chargers + 9 more on the way, with existing and new chargers located in the central regions of the metro area and around the suburban areas. Not bad at all. Contrast that with Metro Toronto with a population over 6 million (ie approx double Metro Seattle), with the Tesla map showing 6 active chargers, and 9 on the way located mostly in the west end. As you can see; a different picture. Tesla has some catching up to do around here by comparison. By this comparison, Toronto should have 16 existing charger locations with 18 on the way, to be serviced on par with Seattle. Metro Toronto is the 4th largest metropolitan zone in North America with a population density averaging over 4k per square km.

Thanks for the added input. According to World Population Review, Metropolitan Seattle has a population of around 3.5 million, and the Tesla charging map shows 8 chargers + 9 more on the way, with existing and new chargers located in the central regions of the metro area and around the suburban areas. Not bad at all. Contrast that with Metro Toronto with a population over 6 million (ie approx double Metro Seattle), with the Tesla map showing 6 active chargers, and 9 on the way located mostly in the west end. As you can see; a different picture. Tesla has some catching up to do around here by comparison. By this comparison, Toronto should have 16 existing charger locations with 18 on the way, to be serviced on par with Seattle. Metro Toronto is the 4th largest metropolitan zone in North America with a population density averaging over 4k per square km.
No idea why you are trying to make this thread about Seattle or turn it into some Seattle vs Toronto dick-measuring contest, but your statement that there are 8 superchargers in the metro area is laughable. I guess you are considering Aberdeen in Sequim to be in Seattle Metro? That would be like me saying Woodstock and Parry Sound are in the Toronto metropolitan area.

Anyways, in reality there are 2 superchargers in the Seattle area, maybe 4 at most if you really stretch and consider Monroe and "Arlington" to be in the metro area. When I started driving Teslas over 2 years ago, none of those 4 existed and I made it work living in an apartment. It wasn't always easy and there were some sacrifices but I never regretted going EV and going with Tesla. So I apologise if it sounds harsh, but it just comes across as laughable when the shutting down of one supercharger in Toronto appears to be grounds for a crisis for some owners in the area. Especially when, as outlined previously in this thread, there appears to be very good reason to not have this supercharger be open to the public any longer.

Reactions: bijan and MarcoRP
No idea why you are trying to make this thread about Seattle or turn it into some Seattle vs Toronto dick-measuring contest, but your statement that there are 8 superchargers in the metro area is laughable. I guess you are considering Aberdeen in Sequim to be in Seattle Metro? That would be like me saying Woodstock and Parry Sound are in the Toronto metropolitan area.

Anyways, in reality there are 2 superchargers in the Seattle area, maybe 4 at most if you really stretch and consider Monroe and "Arlington" to be in the metro area. When I started driving Teslas over 2 years ago, none of those 4 existed and I made it work living in an apartment. It wasn't always easy and there were some sacrifices but I never regretted going EV and going with Tesla. So I apologise if it sounds harsh, but it just comes across as laughable when the shutting down of one supercharger in Toronto appears to be grounds for a crisis for some owners in the area. Especially when, as outlined previously in this thread, there appears to be very good reason to not have this supercharger be open to the public any longer.
I seem to have mistakenly believed the metropolitan Seattle zone to extend beyond what it actually does, so let's take your number, your the expert. That would make it 3 now and 6 coming if you include Tacoma as part of the metro area, and you're not loosing any chargers. Good for you guys. Anyway, I apologise if you took offence at my attempt to relate our experience to your own, there was no attempt to dick measure; we might both be embarrassed :(. It is true that the Lawrence charger has got its problems, mostly related to the fact that it sits at a Tesla store and maintenance and new car delivery centre, which makes it a zoo most of the time. But it is also central to the major north/south commuting corridor, meaning that it's very important to those coming into and going out of the city centre, and there is no substitute being proposed. Ya, we could struggle around with crappy work-arounds, but why should we settle for that? Tesla is not some econo-box cookie-cutter. We paid big bucks and were promised an expanding charger network, not a shrinking one. You might find this sounds harsh, but how can you say shutting down the most centrally located supercharger in Toronto is no grounds for concern when you don't even live here? Walk a mile (make that a 1.6 kilometres) in our shoes, then you can make a pronouncement.

• Disagree
Reactions: Vawlkus