Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto - Lawrence Supercharger To Close -Concerned?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have only been out to Lawrence a couple of times (pick up the car, service, including picking it up this morning after replacing the turn signal stalk) but I have never seen any available / open SC stalls. They have always been full, I assumed with service related cars. Has this been a viable SC option?

Or Commisionners Street! :p
There is also a charger at Feld Kalia at Adelaide and Berkeley - 50c /hour after work hours
Dam, the secret is out on this charger! I was using it until my charger gets installed next week. Feld Kalia has 2 tesla chargers in his parking lot that he allows use of through the Rover parking app. One spot is 50 cents an hour, the other $1. Still really cheap. If you are charging solo there, that is 11 kW/hr. He is losing money, but says he wants to give back. Nice guy. If you have a bit more time, or need charging during business hours the Green Storage on Eastern has a J1772 that is free. You will have to ask the office to turn the charger on, but they are friendly. Be sure to thank them, because you don't have to be a customer to charge.

James, I’m in the area you mentioned (Leslieville) with street parking and commute north via DVP. Our neighbour kindly agreed to let us use the shared drive to charge once a week but we need to top up mid-week in winter or after cottage trips. We count on that SC!
Thanks for the feedback AmandaC. To keep the pressure on Tesla to not sweep us under the carpet, I suggest doing what I've done, which is to talk to the store manager at Lawrence and ask him to request the Charger Team to indicate where they think you should do your home-charging after they close Lawrence, and what they think is a reasonable commute to the most local charger for home charging. Followup in writing to the store manager and ask for a written reply back to your written questions. The number up there is 647-260-1794. If the store manager is not available, ask for the associate store manager, who is John Gamal. If there is any suggestion that the supercharger network is intended for en-route not home charging, remind them that Tesla sold you the car knowing that you didn't have access to home-charging, and that they don't have a policy of recommending against purchasing a Tesla without home-charging access. I've had to remind them of this, and you might as well. I think it important to make them aware that your (and my ) situation is not unique. Good Luck! It would be great if you can post how they respond to this thread.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Hey I'm in Leslieville too, and in a similar position. Have you tried the BMW dealership off Eastern Ave? That's been a good option for me.
Is that a free-to-the-public type 2 charger they have there? If so, a type 2 charger is going to be rather slow. This may effectively be a destination charger, rather than a good substitute for home charging, which usually involves replacing quite a bit of charge.

Is that a free-to-the-public type 2 charger they have there? If so, a type 2 charger is going to be rather slow. This may effectively be a destination charger, rather than a good substitute for home charging, which usually involves replacing quite a bit of charge.
It's a Chargepoint dual-head station. Provides 30 amps dedicated or 16 amps each shared. Free to use overnight and fairly steep to use during the day. There's also a CCS DC fast-ish charger but of course for us that's not much use.

North York, not far from the Yonge/Sheppard supercharger that keeps getting delayed.

Can't home charge because I'm a renter in a condo.
Ya, I hear You. The Canadian Tesla Owners Club might have material and information relevant to helping get your condo corp to get with the new world order. Their link is: https://ontario.teslaownersclub.ca/ Also, have you tried getting the condo corp to let you plug into a 110v circuit? There should be a few of these 15amp plugs around the building's garage, which you could use by limiting the draw to say 10 amps using the car's charging app. That's less than a hair dryer. I can't see how they could refuse that if you agreed to pay the off-peak KW/hr rate which is peanuts really. It would only give you around 6km/hr of gain, but better than nothing as an interim solution, and the M3 might give you even a little more than that level of gain. Depending on your mileage needs, this might help somewhat.

I'm hearing that the Lawrence Ave. Supercharger in mid-town Toronto is going to be closed. It's been on reduced service for a month now. There is only an expensive parking-paid alternative supercharger on Bay Street down in the city core for those living the Toronto's east end. The supercharger map showing upcoming new chargers doesn't show any new chargers planned in the area. Is anyone else concerned about this? If so, please reply to and monitor this posting so we can decide if there is enough concern to mount some action.
When do you need supercharging in Toronto ?

Either
A) if you live there but can't home charge (you can still charge other places though so you don't really 'need' supercharging
B) if you're visiting from afar (but if you're arriving via qew/Gardiner, 401 east, 401 west, 404 or 400, you will have ample supercharging opportunities within 50 kms of the city, so in fact you don't need to charge in town.

So...whats the problem? I'm not at all concerned.

March of 2017?hell yeah that would have made me not buy a tesla. Back the only superchargers within 200 kms of the city other than Lawrence were port hope, Grimsby and Barrie! Today pickering, Vaughan, 2 Markham, sherway and Mapleview mean I barely think about my state of charge, let alone have range anxiety (which I did constantly 2 yrs ago)

Yes, condo owners, apartment people, but also quite a few people living in the historic residential areas with mostly street parking by permit that can't home-charge. Eg. Riverdale, Beaches areas etc.
Meh, if they're leaving the city there's plenty of supercharging. If they're staying close by they only need to charge once a week, and barely need any rangefor any given trip any way. If they need to charge, try parking in a downtown office building for a weekend day or any night and charging for $10. Or pay $10 to park and then charge at Eaton centre SC.

If you buy an electric car without the ability to charge at home, you get creative. Frankly you made the choice so you can likely live with it.

When do you need supercharging in Toronto ?

Either
A) if you live there but can't home charge (you can still charge other places though so you don't really 'need' supercharging
B) if you're visiting from afar (but if you're arriving via qew/Gardiner, 401 east, 401 west, 404 or 400, you will have ample supercharging opportunities within 50 kms of the city, so in fact you don't need to charge in town.

So...whats the problem? I'm not at all concerned.

March of 2017?hell yeah that would have made me not buy a tesla. Back the only superchargers within 200 kms of the city other than Lawrence were port hope, Grimsby and Barrie! Today pickering, Vaughan, 2 Markham, sherway and Mapleview mean I barely think about my state of charge, let alone have range anxiety (which I did constantly 2 yrs ago)
I would expect the people is situation A would be the ones concerned, as I am. I would disagree though that supercharging is not needed when using a remote charger as a substitute for home-charging. Home-charging at home can be slow since it's usually an overnight thing, but having to use a remote charger at a distance beyond walking distance means you have to sit with the car while it charges, and that's going to be a long time when you need say a 30%-40% charge. The typical Type 2 public charger is only going to provide about 20km/hr of gain, vs a supercharger giving 200+ km/hr. On a Type 2 charger we're talking hours, not minutes of wait time.

What type of slow ass public chargers are you using? Almost all the ones I find give my 38 - 40 km hr, and the Tesla chargers give me almost 68 km/hr. Superchargers when charging at the lower state of charge are showing me 771 km/hr though.
Your 40 km/hr is a best case scenario (high-end type 2 charger, nobody sharing the charger limit, no cold battery limitations etc), and even so, at 40 km/hr, that's waiting around for an hour to get just a 40 km gain, or about 8-10% charge on a 75 kw MS. With a 15 minute commute on city streets each way, that's an hour and a half to get just 40 kms of range. You can loose that to phantom loss in the winter in a few days of idle time. That's hardly a home-charging substitute. If you remember Charging 101, home-charging is supposed to be the backbone of charging so that you start out fully charged, with en-route charging simply replacing charge used, with destination charging a bonus. This way charging wait-time is next to nil. To fully charge up at 40 km/hr you'd be there all day. Tesla is supposed to be the better way, and it is, when charging the way we're supposed to. Using Lawrence as a home-charging substitute isn't ideal, but was acceptable on the assumption that with the charger network expanding, additional options would make themselves available, and those additional options aren't happening in the east end. It's just that with Lawrence closing, a close supercharger substitute for home-charging is not being proposed.

Your 40 km/hr is a best case scenario (high-end type 2 charger, nobody sharing the charger limit, no cold battery limitations etc),
I would just like to put in that the “type” refers to the type of connector, like J1772 is type 1 and Mennekes is type 2. The “Level” is equivalent to the speed of the charger: Level 1 = 3kW, Level 2 = 10 kW, Level 3 = 50kW, Level 4 = 120 kW (Tesla Supercharger) or 150 kW and faster

I would expect the people is situation A would be the ones concerned, as I am. I would disagree though that supercharging is not needed when using a remote charger as a substitute for home-charging. Home-charging at home can be slow since it's usually an overnight thing, but having to use a remote charger at a distance beyond walking distance means you have to sit with the car while it charges, and that's going to be a long time when you need say a 30%-40% charge. The typical Type 2 public charger is only going to provide about 20km/hr of gain, vs a supercharger giving 200+ km/hr. On a Type 2 charger we're talking hours, not minutes of wait time.
Maybe you missed what I wrote, but that should be maybe a once a week occurrence correct? There's nowhere you can charge while at work? Nowhere you can supercharge when you're out of the house on the weekend?

Go to the Eaton centre for lunch or to shop. Go to the art gallery for an hr. Get creative. There are also a bunch of other superchargers skated to come online in the city. Point is its not that bad.

Maybe you missed what I wrote, but that should be maybe a once a week occurrence correct? There's nowhere you can charge while at work? Nowhere you can supercharge when you're out of the house on the weekend?

Go to the Eaton centre for lunch or to shop. Go to the art gallery for an hr. Get creative. There are also a bunch of other superchargers skated to come online in the city. Point is its not that bad.

I'd take transit or walk to go to the Eaton centre. I don't think we should be encouraging people to take their cars downtown, and that's not just me, the city is very strong on this point too. I don't work in the city, so usually fly and take transit or taxi to airport, so no at-destination charging to me at work. Besides, few can really count on at-destination charging at work to substitute for home-charging. I do get around here and there in the city by car, and sometimes there happens to be a charger en-route, but not often. The charger that's most often en-route is of course Lawrence because I live downtown. There are not that many chargers around on central arteries such as the 401 across town (Sheppard delayed and I'll believe it when I see it), one close to the Gardner in the west end, not much in town, but mostly I do long trips and don't like to have to start each trip with a 1 hr charge-up delay from a low and cold-soaked battery. Also, with no charger in the centre-east down-town residential areas we have to keep careful track of phantom cold loss, which can mount up and end up stranding you with the only chargers at a distance. As it is, I'm going to have to ask my neighbour who has a driveway if I can run an RV extension chord over and charge on occasion from there. That's not a very good advertisement for the MS and Tesla. This is a luxury priced car. Over-all, I don't like existing options disappearing without alternatives in-place when we're told that the charge network is expanding aggressively. It may not be bad, but it's not that good either. I would have expected a few small chargers dotted around the central region of the city in areas with a lot of street parking to ease the problem of those without access to home charging, before closing Lawrence. Surely not too much to ask, but apparently it is.