Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto On-Street Electric Vehicle Charging Stations - Pilot Project

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

rypalmer

Aug 22, 2014
Canada
An EV charging pilot project was recently approved for Wards 18, 30, and 32:

Toronto public works committee approves 14 vehicle charging stations | InsideToronto.com

A total of 14 Level 2 charging stations will be installed, for a period of 1 year.

I'm looking forward to this with great interest. I live in Ward 30 and can tell you that access to local charging for residents who live in condos or must park on-street is virtually non-existent. It is very costly to install your own charging if you park underground, and so far no public lots have provided EV charging as an amenity.

I'm really curious as to where they will install these stations, and how much they will charge to use them. Does anybody else know where they will be placed?

This is good to see as if EVs become pervasive we need a way to figure out charging for street parking in large cities like Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver, etc. For the first 13 years that I lived in Toronto, from 1993-2006, I parked on the street.

I would think that longer term it might make sense to have a special permit for EVs and only holders of those permits could park in front of the chargers. All others could be ticketed and/or towed. They could even charge a bit more for these permits to offset the cost of the chargers and electricity. They might also want to figure out a way to charge day-time short term parkers.

It is disappointing to see the comments of the councilors that opposed this project.

tesla pantograph.png
Watch them put it on King Street, in the TTC pilot project zone.
Or let EVs drive along King Street. Maybe we can even got pantographs for our Teslas so that they can charge while we drive down the street ;)

Last edited:
Yeesh! We already have like 50-100 street chargers in downtown Montréal and about 250 in its entirety. We now even have some in the hearts of residential areas! Toronto is quite backed up on EV charging. Usually, In Downtown, You pay reduced parking fee + charging fee. We also have two bus fast chargers.

Reactions: Jaff