Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto Order/Delivery Nightmare!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,

I'm sure there are tons of issues or stories out there regarding the delivery of the MY's. Please tell me if I am simply blowing things out proportions or if this is truly how Tesla runs their shop?

I'm from the GTA in Toronto. Thought I would give my first Tesla order a try. I'm buying cash, so no issues or delays with financing or anything. I booked a test drive for a MY in the Vaughn area, decided I liked the car, and a sales rep found me a "demo" MY which was located in Montreal. It currently had 2300km on it. I put the deposit down on a Sunday, and was told it would be ready for the following Monday. (just over a week away). During the week I get the "confirm your pickup" text. I book it for Monday evening and watch the clock go by. During the week I ask to ensure Monday is still a go, and realize now I'm not getting an responses. I finally get a hold of the sales guy, and tells me not yet, the car is still in Montreal but now there is 2700km+ on the car.....So I was not impressed with that. He tells me don't worry it will be here on the weekend either way, I'll keep you posted on the weekend. I say great. Weekend comes, not a single word from him. Monday comes around, he tells me he cannot connect the car, its in transit now. But it "could" be in a holding lot in Toronto from the weekend. Maybe they delivered it Sunday but the dealership was closed. I can hear the violins already.

Tuesday approaches, he tells me he still doesn't have any update. I take it upon myself to call the pickup dealership myself, within 2 mins they can tell me the car is definitely still in Montreal, so I ask how many KM now, they tell me 2800+ KM now. But reassured they will see whats going on. I'm 14 days into "I'll get you updates" excuses.

Now my dilemma is, do I just pull out of the order, because either A) sales dude couldn't sell a free car, or Tesla is really this bad. Or do I not let a bunch on incompetent people ruin my Tesla experience. Because the BMW X5 M is looking kinda nice right about now.

@Firedude2020 Its unfortunate, but its the reality dealing with Tesla these days. It's not all bad for everyone however.

My personal experience was very good. I got the the car in 10 days (my car was in the GTA already and just needed to be transported to the store closer to me though).

I wish I had bought a Tesla sooner than I did. Its just so much fun ALL the time.

At the end of the day, if you really like the Tesla, I would not let the sales experience change your mind and cancel the order. Otherwise, if you are on the fence about the car itself, move on.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I'm sure there are tons of issues or stories out there regarding the delivery of the MY's. Please tell me if I am simply blowing things out proportions or if this is truly how Tesla runs their shop?

I'm from the GTA in Toronto. Thought I would give my first Tesla order a try. I'm buying cash, so no issues or delays with financing or anything. I booked a test drive for a MY in the Vaughn area, decided I liked the car, and a sales rep found me a "demo" MY which was located in Montreal. It currently had 2300km on it. I put the deposit down on a Sunday, and was told it would be ready for the following Monday. (just over a week away). During the week I get the "confirm your pickup" text. I book it for Monday evening and watch the clock go by. During the week I ask to ensure Monday is still a go, and realize now I'm not getting an responses. I finally get a hold of the sales guy, and tells me not yet, the car is still in Montreal but now there is 2700km+ on the car.....So I was not impressed with that. He tells me don't worry it will be here on the weekend either way, I'll keep you posted on the weekend. I say great. Weekend comes, not a single word from him. Monday comes around, he tells me he cannot connect the car, its in transit now. But it "could" be in a holding lot in Toronto from the weekend. Maybe they delivered it Sunday but the dealership was closed. I can hear the violins already.

Tuesday approaches, he tells me he still doesn't have any update. I take it upon myself to call the pickup dealership myself, within 2 mins they can tell me the car is definitely still in Montreal, so I ask how many KM now, they tell me 2800+ KM now. But reassured they will see whats going on. I'm 14 days into "I'll get you updates" excuses.

Now my dilemma is, do I just pull out of the order, because either A) sales dude couldn't sell a free car, or Tesla is really this bad. Or do I not let a bunch on incompetent people ruin my Tesla experience. Because the BMW X5 M is looking kinda nice right about now.
Send me an email to [email protected] and I’ll investigate for you

Unhappily, Tesla’s customer service is still pretty weak. Being as Montreal is involved, I’m inclined to point the blame on them because of their lack of staff, and the shakeups they’ve endured, which has left their communication lines in tatters.

I would definitely see if your sales rep can do something to make up for the shortcomings, but only you can decide if you want to walk away or not.

I think it’s luck of the draw. There are good, competent employees, and bad, incompetent employees.

My purchase and delivery experience 6 1/2 years ago was amazing and organized. Thankfully, the person who helped me purchase and took me on my test drive (he didn’t do my delivery, but that went great too) is still at Tesla, and he’s been awesome again helping me with my Model Y purchase.

I agree with @SilverGS - the car itself is worth it, poor delivery experience aside. You’ll quickly forget about it once you’re behind the wheel every day. Tesla ownership, however, is a journey - be prepared for some ups and downs. The ups for me, have far outweighed any downs. I’ve been unfortunate to be driving an ICE (a Mercedes - not a tin can) primarily as of late (it’s why I’m getting the Y), and when I get behind the wheel of my S, I’m reminded why I love that thing so much.

It does sound like you’re getting the runaround, though. :(

The BMW X5 will not hold a candle to the model y in terms of it being fun to drive, and the raw functionality of even basic AP, nevermind if you go with FSD now or later (debatable if it's worth it now). Maybe the X5 has an edge because it's slightly larger (guessing)? That's about the only thing I could see it having over the Y.

If I were you, I would use this as an opportunity to negotiate the price down since the car has 500+ km more than when you agreed to buy it....but also as a % it has 20% more km on it. Even if they can't change the price get them to throw in all weather mats or a service credit for winter tires...

Reactions: Dyhm
Unhappily, Tesla’s customer service is still pretty weak. Being as Montreal is involved, I’m inclined to point the blame on them because of their lack of staff, and the shakeups they’ve endured, which has left their communication lines in tatters.

I would definitely see if your sales rep can do something to make up for the shortcomings, but only you can decide if you want to walk away or not.
Thanks for the update. There is definitely a lack of something, which I think I would be OK with when it comes to notifications, but its the constant lies, and the run around(s), not to mention zero response unless i send a pretty unhappy message. Then i get a response to get another lie to buy some additional time.

I've decided to pull out of the demo sale car. For those who were asking, it was only a $2300 price adjustment, in retrospect that $2,300 savings simply caused the family grief, especially since we already sold our car, waiting for the delivery of the promised vehicle....Promised a few times.

I'll continue my hunt for a car, waiting 10 weeks isn't viable at this option, but Tesla surely isn't at the top of my list.

For those who do read this, buying a Tesla is virtually the same experience as buying an iPhone. Simply order online, wait for email or text notifications and show up. The traditional way of selling, are simply obsolete here. To many this seems to work quite well, for the non-traditional Tesla buyers, just be aware if you do want to talk to someone, its a very off hands approach with a lot of customer service style reps vs a true car sales reps. Basically order fillers.

My heart is still with the Model Y....I haven't given up completely.

Reactions: Vawlkus
Buy the BMW
You never said what kind of a deal you presumed you were getting buying a demo car. If you went to buy a new one it would be a different conversation.
The reality is, if I bought I new one, there would be no conversation period. Just a few emails on when to pick up the car. The process and timelines is up to you to learn on the fly, or through forums like these.

The BMW X5 will not hold a candle to the model y in terms of it being fun to drive, and the raw functionality of even basic AP, never mind if you go with FSD now or later (debatable if it's worth it now). Maybe the X5 has an edge because it's slightly larger (guessing)? That's about the only thing I could see it having over the Y.

If I were you, I would use this as an opportunity to negotiate the price down since the car has 500+ km more than when you agreed to buy it....but also as a % it has 20% more km on it. Even if they can't change the price get them to throw in all weather mats or a service credit for winter tires...
Thanks. I tried to negotiate, the sales rep wouldn't reply to me....But the moment i said I'm cancelling the car, he replied within seconds, saying "Totally understand"......Truth be told, I was forcing my business on them...The signs were there, pull out, they aren't interested.

I think it’s luck of the draw. There are good, competent employees, and bad, incompetent employees.

My purchase and delivery experience 6 1/2 years ago was amazing and organized. Thankfully, the person who helped me purchase and took me on my test drive (he didn’t do my delivery, but that went great too) is still at Tesla, and he’s been awesome again helping me with my Model Y purchase.

I agree with @SilverGS - the car itself is worth it, poor delivery experience aside. You’ll quickly forget about it once you’re behind the wheel every day. Tesla ownership, however, is a journey - be prepared for some ups and downs. The ups for me, have far outweighed any downs. I’ve been unfortunate to be driving an ICE (a Mercedes - not a tin can) primarily as of late (it’s why I’m getting the Y), and when I get behind the wheel of my S, I’m reminded why I love that thing so much.

It does sound like you’re getting the runaround, though. :(
Thanks you are right. Definitely the runaround....Signs were there, I was just blinded by the love of the car. The blindfolds are off now. Order has been cancelled. Too bad....I hope your delivery goes smooth, and you get to enjoy the car.

Reactions: techMology
If I can make a suggestion, contact Lawrence directly. 647-260-1794. Or drop by and talk to someone there. You will end up with a flesh and blood SA, not just a voice on a phone or an email contact. You can order from them without going on line. Tell them your situation. They just might be able to find you a model Y with a short delivery. That is, if you still want one.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
The issue certainly seems to be between Tesla Stores. The fact that it wasn't pulled from being used as a demo tells me that the guy you dealt with at Tesla didn't do much if anything. He should have been upfront about it after the first issue and come back with options. As has been suggested, go to either Lawrence or one of the stores in person (I had a decent experience at Sherway). Had a new Y sooner than expected. Just don't expect a great deal if you're doing a trade-in.