Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto people. Do you regret having a single charger or is it sufficient?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think you are missing the point. If you have a need for faster charging at home you need an HPWC and dual chargers. I got the HPWC for the rare occasion I come home with very little charge and then have to go back out in a short period of time. It's all about the safety factor.

It's really only useful if you do a lot of mileage in a single day. Considering the Model S can do anywhere from 400 to 500 km a day that is quite a bit.

Another factor to consider is that the charger is a high wear item, which is especially true when it's drawing its max 40 amps. In fact, it needs liquid cooling. However, if you have two and charge at 45 amps, then each charger is only drawing 1/2 of that and it's unlikely that after the warranty you will need to replace a single one worn out after being used for years to charge at 40 amps.

I'm not from Toronto, and have dual chargers, but have an opinion anyway. :smile:

You don't need dual chargers for overnight charging at home. If you have 240V 40A it is more than enough for daily use, 100% of the time.

Where you want dual chargers is when you're on the road and have access to higher power stations (mostly the Sun Country network). If Superchargers are available then it doesn't matter. But if you're ever waiting for your car to charge on AC then you really really want to have dual. Trust me.

I could not have said this more clearly. Bang on. I have used my dual chargers only a couple weeks of times in 5 months. I charge at home on a NEMA 14-50

I could not have said this more clearly. Bang on. I have used my dual chargers only a couple weeks of times in 5 months. I charge at home on a NEMA 14-50

Another factor is if you have Nema 14-50, then you will likely leave your mobile charging cable at home and not have it with you. A second cable is almost as expensive as a wall charger.

- - - Updated - - -

Another factor to consider is that the charger is a high wear item, which is especially true when it's drawing its max 40 amps. In fact, it needs liquid cooling. However, if you have two and charge at 45 amps, then each charger is only drawing 1/2 of that and it's unlikely that after the warranty you will need to replace a single one worn out after being used for years to charge at 40 amps.

Also true if you charge at 90 amps because each charger will only be charging for half the time.

Are you sure? I thought the slave charger only operates if you go above 40A.

Edit: I think this is proof? Some people got shots of the hidden HVAC screens before they were locked down. Here's one showing a car charging at 40A.

IMG_1367.JPG

Are you sure? I thought the slave charger only operates if you go above 40A.

Edit: I think this is proof? Some people got shots of the hidden HVAC screens before they were locked down. Here's one showing a car charging at 40A.

My understanding is that after 40 amps it splits the load evenly. I said in my post if you charge at 45 amps - not 40 amps. (I use a HPWC but since I put a plug on it and plugged it into a 14-50 I limit my charging to 45 amps.)

Last edited:
My understanding is that after 40 amps it splits the load evenly. I said in my post if you charge at 45 amps - not 40 amps. (I use a HPWC but since I put a plug on it and plugged it into a 14-50 I limit my charging to 45 amps.)

Ahh, I see. So if you charge a little above 40A you figure it will be less stress on the components. Perhaps.

Another factor to consider would be efficiency. Most switchers are designed for optimum efficiency in a certain power range. Many seem to peak around the 80% power level, and tend to be worse at low draw. I would imagine Tesla tries to aim for best efficiency, but it would be interesting to see a graph of efficiency versus power in the dual charger system.

To me, it's simple. If you don't get dual chargers and if you ever, even once in the life of the car, have to wait 4 hours to charge instead of 2, you'll regret your choice. In Canada with lots of 70+ amp charging stations, that will happen often unless you never leave your home city.

Good luck doing 400-500 kms especially in this weather.

Summer then? I'm only getting mine in March.

- - - Updated - - -

Just curious TM, how many electric km do you have under your belt?

Have you driven an EV outside of Quebec yet?

None as of yet, I'm learning. I have mine ordered for March.

- - - Updated - - -

To me, it's simple. If you don't get dual chargers and if you ever, even once in the life of the car, have to wait 4 hours to charge instead of 2, you'll regret your choice. In Canada with lots of 70+ amp charging stations, that will happen often unless you never leave your home city.

Won't the new Chademo charger provide an alternative to the dual charger? The Chademo charges up to 50KW and is DC current.

trouty ...

Re: driving 400-500 km. You may be able to get as much as 450 km under optimal conditions and limiting your speed to 100 km/h and maybe even tucking in behind the occasional transport truck, but nobody really wants to push the limit like that. I get nervous when my charge level goes below 50 km range remaining. You don't want to get stuck without a place to charge! Unlike ICE cars, you can't just hitch a ride and come back to the car with a can of electrons - the car need to be towed! So, planning is important. You want to know your options for charging locations and you want to make sure there's plenty of extra charge in the battery to allow for surprises - traffic jams, construction, re-routes, weather changes - they all affect your range.

Re: Chademo - the chademo adapter from Tesla has been "coming soon" for almost 2 years. It's pretty much a running joke amongst those owners interested in it by now. Also, the adapter will likely be quite expensive ($1-2k), so you *really* have to want it to buy it!

Summer then? I'm only getting mine in March.

You can do 400 km fairly easily in summer, under reasonably nice conditions and driving 90-100 kph.

In summer 500 km is doable but with greater care. You would want to drive at 80 kph maximum and may have to limit climate control usage.

Personally, I always maintain a minimum 30 km range buffer. You never know when you'll hit driving rain, a detour, or who-knows-what. So you want to take that into account also.

Trouty, if you plan to drive "off the beaten path" at anytime, you would be wise to add the second charger...Quebec has a reasonably good high-amp Level II Sun Country Highway network...I think that you will find that you will have many opportunities to benefit from the second charger over the lifespan of driving your S...just ask some of the Model S drivers in P.Q....I'd bet most of them have dual chargers...:wink:

I've owned my Model S nearly 2 years now and have >43000km on the odo. I've barely used public charging infrastructure in that time. I don't take a lot of roadtrips however. I've probably never had the car >200km from home.

However I got dual chargers and don't regret it.

I think the only place I've charged >40A is at Toronto Motorsports Park where I helped install a 70A EVSE.

Hopefully one day they'll be superchargers everywhere (I doubt it, esp. in Canada) and CHAdeMO plugs everywhere as well. Until that time if you live in Canada you'll most likely want dual chargers. :)

I get nervous when my charge level goes below 50 km range remaining. You don't want to get stuck without a place to charge! Unlike ICE cars, you can't just hitch a ride and come back to the car with a can of electrons - the car need to be towed!

I suppose it's all relative. I am very comfortable with the 120km total range (winter is more like 90km) in my Smart ED, and would have no issues leaving home with less than 30km range left if I know I am only driving 20km round trip. I've taken my car to 0 range left, and understand the various warnings and indicators which give me the confidence to use almost the entire available battery. Took my car down to 3% SOC (state of charge) recently, and still kept the cabin heater and seat heaters on max for the final 4km stint on my way home. :)

When I get a Tesla with lots of range (relative to Smart ED), I will likely be the same person, and push the limits...

We've seen strong opinions both ways. I think this all boils down to:

- are there any public chargers in your area > 40 A ?
- do you need to charge quickly overnight or during the day, and can install an HPWC on a 100A breaker?

If yes, then go for dual chargers. If no, then go for dual chargers if you don't care about the added cost and the possibility that you'll never use them. If you're quite sure that neither apply, because you're mostly going to be local or you're traveling where there are Superchargers, then don't get dual chargers.

trouty ...

Re: driving 400-500 km. You may be able to get as much as 450 km under optimal conditions and limiting your speed to 100 km/h and maybe even tucking in behind the occasional transport truck, but nobody really wants to push the limit like that. I get nervous when my charge level goes below 50 km range remaining. You don't want to get stuck without a place to charge! Unlike ICE cars, you can't just hitch a ride and come back to the car with a can of electrons - the car need to be towed! So, planning is important. You want to know your options for charging locations and you want to make sure there's plenty of extra charge in the battery to allow for surprises - traffic jams, construction, re-routes, weather changes - they all affect your range.

Re: Chademo - the chademo adapter from Tesla has been "coming soon" for almost 2 years. It's pretty much a running joke amongst those owners interested in it by now. Also, the adapter will likely be quite expensive ($1-2k), so you *really* have to want it to buy it!
I'm going to get the Chademo adapter in January.
Trouty, if you plan to drive "off the beaten path" at anytime, you would be wise to add the second charger...Quebec has a reasonably good high-amp Level II Sun Country Highway network...I think that you will find that you will have many opportunities to benefit from the second charger over the lifespan of driving your S...just ask some of the Model S drivers in P.Q....I'd bet most of them have dual chargers...:wink: