Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto people - where to change wheels and store?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Lawrence east wants $70 bolt on + $95 for storage = $165 plus tax.

I'd pay the extra $60 or so (compared to others) but the other issue is timing, they don't have any appointments for a few weeks.

Alternatives?

Is there any special care that must be taken to jack up the Tesla Model S?

Lawrence east wants $70 bolt on + $95 for storage = $165 plus tax.

I'd pay the extra $60 or so (compared to others) but the other issue is timing, they don't have any appointments for a few weeks.

Alternatives?

Is there any special care that must be taken to jack up the Tesla Model S?

Did you want to try the Tranmere SC in Mississauga ? Had my winter taken off yesterday by them and stored there. Nice to be on summer tires again.

Be careful with shops who don't know the MS. I had a Green+Ross location try to jack my car up by the battery pack. If I wasn't there supervising my 1 hour old (to me) car, it would have been a disaster.

Even after I explained why it was so important to use the right jack points, they still tried to jack it up by some suspension components. I had to stop them again.

Needless to say, I have never gone back. It's unfortunate Tesla won't mount non-OEM wheels. I am happy to pay a little extra for the piece of mind in knowing it will be done right.

Also watch out for shops that hammer the lug nuts on/off with an impact gun. If they do that they will ruin the nuts. A friend of mine had his tires switched at a Frisby tire location, and they hammered the nuts on so hard they were all ruined. I had to use a socket 1 mm larger than normal because they were twisted. It required a lot of force to break them loose... I'm pretty sure they were well over 200 ft-lbs! My friend had to order new lug nuts.

Last time I was at a tire shop to install new tires, they only inflated to 35psi... How hard is it to check the sicker??????

Yep. I always give the shop written instructions including PSI and lug nut torque settings and specify hand tools only. I also provide a laminated copy of the Jacking/Lifting instructions from the Owners Manual. In spite of that, I will loosen and re-torque the lug nuts myself when I get home and re-check the pressure the next day when the tires are "cold".

Also watch out for shops that hammer the lug nuts on/off with an impact gun. If they do that they will ruin the nuts. A friend of mine had his tires switched at a Frisby tire location, and they hammered the nuts on so hard they were all ruined. I had to use a socket 1 mm larger than normal because they were twisted. It required a lot of force to break them loose... I'm pretty sure they were well over 200 ft-lbs! My friend had to order new lug nuts.

This is what Kal Tire did to mine and Tesla said I needed a whole new set of lug nuts at $130. In the end, they didn't charge me for them, but they were in bad shape and really swollen.

Yeah, I'm sure they do a great job if you stand there and watch them do it. I wouldn't trust them to do it out of sight.

In general, I get nervous when anyone works on my cars... even Tesla. (I never really found out why my Model S once came back with over 160 km on the odo after it was in for service that shouldn't have really called for test driving). I've come to trust the Kal Tire shop close to me, but with all things, I think it depends on who's managing the shop and the type of technicians they hire. Other Kal locations may not be so careful. But yes, I do stay with the car as well as provide explicit instructions. I have a laminated printout showing the jacking/lifting instructions that I leave with them as well as the tire pressure and lug nut torque specs. I do my seasonal swaps myself.