TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Toronto SC Grand Opening

Discussion in 'Canada' started by e4chan, Oct 31, 2013.

1. e4chan

e4chan Member

New Toronto SC Opening Very Soon

I was just down at the SC by the Toronto airport today and it looks like the new SC will open mid November, if everything works out well.

Apparently the new location is around Lawrence and DVP.

Can't wait!

e4.

2. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

Thats great news, although it is much farther from me! They are so cramped in the current location. I don't now how they manage to get any cars in and out as it is one lane inside the bay.

3. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

I sure home the west end location stays open. Lawrence and DVP would be a nightmare to get to.

4. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Don't worry, I was told that Tesla intends to keep the Tranmere Road location open.

For me, Lawrence and DVP is a LOT more accessible. Maybe they'll have some outdoor charge stations. Toronto is a bit thin on chargers.

5. e4chan

e4chan Member

I also heard they are looking to open up another SC in the Oakville area :)..early next year.

e4.

6. mnx

mnx 2013 P85

That doesn't appear to make a lot of sense as Oakville and Mississauga are right next to each other. You'd think the next SC would be somewhere like London or Ottawa. Or if the overwhelming majority of the cars are in the GTA then maybe a little farther west like Burlington or Hamilton? (I guess I'm a little biased).

7. Duckjybe

Duckjybe S P232

Are you sure....or was that a joke? That would be awesome! There sure are a lot of Models S's out here. I see more Model S than Volts, and analysts say the Volt is too expensive. I know of at least 2 MS owners within a couple of blocks of me.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

Ottawa would be great. There must be enough cars in the area by now to support a service center.

9. e4chan

e4chan Member

He didn't sound like he was joking....might be Oakville or Burlington area. But there will be another SC.

10. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

Ottawa makes a lot of sense. I guess they have to look at where the concentration of cars are, but it seems a bit odd to put a second SC in Toronto before other areas in Ontario even have their first. But what do I know? I'm sure Tesla has some pretty good data on where people are coming from and where their Rangers have to travel to.

11. DRK

DRK Member

I just booked today for the 18th, so I assume I still go out to Missisauga, although I am thrilled to use the Lawrence location. I thought I had heard somewhere, that they would be occupying the old Aklands location....17,000 Square feet so this will be a very nice facility I'm sure.

12. e4chan

e4chan Member

Jon indicated that he'll be going to the new Lawrence location for deliveries.

As for Ottawa and other locations - I tend to agree that they should open more SC in Montreal/Toronto/Ottawa area. The more they have, the more customers they can serve. And since ordering online is so easy, the Yorkdale location is only there for sales support. You would think that the SC locations would be able to serve both purposes (sales and service; like traditional auto shops)....but may that's in the future.

13. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

In an email conversation with my DS about Ranger service, he said "The good news is that there will be a service center in Ottawa shortly"... Let's hope "shortly" is weeks or months, not years.

And on that topic (I asked him but haven't got an answer yet), if I get the unlimited Ranger service now because there's no SC in Ottawa yet, and then one opens here, does that $125/yr have any value for me any more?

14. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

"Soon" in Tesla-speak usually means at least 6-8 months.

If they are saying that, then I'm sure they have at least started the process of choosing a location. Of course there's still negotiating a lease, build-out, etc.

Might not be. Depends on when the SC is actually up and running. But if you need on-the-road service even once a year, you're at break-even.

15. orangem

orangem Member

The new Toronto SC will be at the old Harley / Ducati dealership at Lawrence W of Vick Park. It is huge.

16. inottawa

inottawa Member

I'm starting to hear more often from my friends: "Hey, I spotted your car at [location] today!" (as if I own all the MS in Ottawa). So the concentration here is starting to pick up!

17. catnip

catnip Member

Lawrence & DVP will be a good area, for me at least. Maybe I can arranged to pick up my new Tesla there in Jan. 2014 instead of going all the way to Miss. (I don't even know how to spell that word, haha).

18. e4chan

e4chan Member

Not to worry Catnip - Jon said all deliveries will take place at the new location ;)

19. Peter_M

Peter_M Member

Right. A later email from the DS suggests there are no firm plans yet for an Ottawa SC so it'll be more than a few months. He pointed me to the Service Centre Map and said to watch for a "Coming Soon" icon there.

20. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

...and can mean much longer than that.