Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Chicago?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that will make that pesky draft coming in the triangular windows easier to take as well!

For what it's worth, I had my triangle window adjusted and still get cold air in that area. A little experimentation has convinced me that it is not coming in from the window seal, but that somehow air is getting into the door panel. I have found that if I set the HVAC to outside air (i.e. turn recirculate off) and bump the fan speed up a bit, the cold air infiltration stops. I think the added interior air pressure is doing the trick. I'm not sure where the air is getting in, but I have a strong suspicion it is through the door handle to body panel gaps.

I figure the same. I had mine in for the draft in Mississauga. They told me there was no draft. Twice. After having the car all day. So, I took them for a test drive and made them feel it themselves. They finally agreed it was drafty. They did a few hours more work and sent me home. No change. Add to that a very frustrating experience with both the tech and the service advisor (saying things weren't wrong, lying about the work they did - they said they replaced the heater motor to fix the heat, and they didn't), left me frustrated.

They want the car back to try again, but I'm hesitant. I'd fill in more here, but I'm not sure it's worth it. I think I'll use the Lawrence location from here on in. I'll update you on what they find there, and will ensure I tell them about your theory.

For what it's worth, I had my triangle window adjusted and still get cold air in that area. A little experimentation has convinced me that it is not coming in from the window seal, but that somehow air is getting into the door panel. I have found that if I set the HVAC to outside air (i.e. turn recirculate off) and bump the fan speed up a bit, the cold air infiltration stops. I think the added interior air pressure is doing the trick. I'm not sure where the air is getting in, but I have a strong suspicion it is through the door handle to body panel gaps.

- - - Updated - - -

As an update, I'm in Windsor after a lovely drive. Great stops at the Super Chargers. Met some Tesla employees at the new Maumee charger. Great people.
Took me 7.5 hours from Chicago, including charging. I'm stopping over quickly in Windsor to top up before heading for Milton for the night.

I ended up doing a last minute trip to Detroit from Toronto. I left on Thursday night and I'm on my way back after a short visit to the Detroit Auto Show today. I was planning on charging in the garage near the show but there were a couple of Volts using the spaces so I charged in Chatham for a little bit. I'm stopped for a coffee and a few extra km (as a buffer) at the Coffee Culture near Woodstock Hydro. I'm averaging between 220 and 230 w/km at between 100 and 105 km/h. Not bad considering it's been around -9c.

Overall, it's been a pleasant drive but I'd love the London SC ASAP!

I ended up doing a last minute trip to Detroit from Toronto. I left on Thursday night and I'm on my way back after a short visit to the Detroit Auto Show today. I was planning on charging in the garage near the show but there were a couple of Volts using the spaces so I charged in Chatham for a little bit. I'm stopped for a coffee and a few extra km (as a buffer) at the Coffee Culture near Woodstock Hydro. I'm averaging between 220 and 230 w/km at between 100 and 105 km/h. Not bad considering it's been around -9c.

You and me both. I stopped in Chatham earlier this evening as well. It was my buffer to get to Milton, where I called the Best Western earlier and was ASSURED the charger was working fine and things were ok for me to stay there. She even called the owner to be sure. He said it's working fine.

I arrived with low charge - just the buffer I gave myself. And the charger doesn't work. They have been having trouble with it. Small solace for me, stuck in Milton with no place to stay and rushing over to the Tim Hortons to give myself a bit of charge at only 32 km/h. It was a lifesaver for me, but I'm now trapped in my car for the night because of the Best Western and their charger that "for sure works" that is "for sure broken". UGH!

For the record - the guy at the desk couldn't have cared less that I would be trapped. A tough way to end my adventure!

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Not much - I was only charging at about 60 km/h there. There is also only 1 charge station. I've seen it mentioned as having 2 previously, but there is only 1 there. It's good enough for a bit of charge, or a top up. Best for staying overnight before heading to the US.

Nice going.

What's the voltage and max current at Windsor?

Thanks for this! I head to Detroit auto show this afternoon from Oakville but going through Sarnia. I was counting on around 250 Wh/km so this is good news. The winds will not be in my favour though. I was planning on stopping in Ingersoll or Woodstock or London. I wanted to try Ingersoll CS90 since it is not on plugshare yet.

I am am taking my 100 ft Nema 14-50 extension cord I made so I can wire it in to my friends hot tub connection or use his dryer outlet. This is why we need Superchargers in Cities!

i was worried about availability of charging around the auto show so I am not counting on it.

I will come back through Windsor so will likely use Chatham to charge as others have found it good.

I read those posts the other day, I might try range charging @ 120V this weekend...

I did 3 range charges this weekend (one of them at 5A). It came up to 406km each time. So there appears to be no short term effect on doing a range charge for balancing the battery, or at least the balancing made less than 1km of difference in charge level of the 3 charges. :)

FYI, dryers use NEMA 14-30 outlets which are different than the NEMA-14-50 stove outlets.

You passed the test! Yes I know dryers use 14-30. My home made extension has a 14-50 outlet that the car plugs into. At the other end I use either a stove 14-50 plug or a dryer 14-30 plug as needed. Since the car thinks it's on a 50A circuit I have to dial the current back in both cases because I'm only using 10 gauge wire over 100ft. Works great in a pinch.

- - - Updated - - -

Superchargers in cities will never work as long as they're free; there'd always be a queue a mile long. I do agree that we need some sort of DC fast-charge solution though.

I wouldn't mind paying as it would save some hassle. I wish Tesla would hurry up and share their Supercharger technology as they cannot build out the worlds infrastructure on their own and I would like their charging tech to be the standard. I don't like the monsterous Chademo plug or the so called Frankenplug.

On my trip back from Detroit I came through Sarnia again as I was coming from North Detroit. This time the winds were not a problem and I was averaging around 230Wh/km at temps of -10C. I stopped at the TD Charger in London just to check it out but did not stay because it is only 30A. It has a solar canopy. I had just plugged in and a small white SUV backed in to the charging spot beside me and I was preparing to give them heck for parking an ICE there. I got out and saw "electric" written on it. It was a Rav 4 prototype made in nearby Cambridge. They were employees of Toyota. They didn't realize the Model S was available in Canada, unlike the Rav 4.

I then drove to Budweiser Gardens and charged at 79A while I had dinner at nearby Fitzrays. I added 144km. I got back to Oakville with 40km using this formula:

Rated Range required {@100km/hr, -10C, wind calm}= (Distance to destination + 50)*1.25

- - - Updated - - -

I did 3 range charges this weekend (one of them at 5A). It came up to 406km each time. So there appears to be no short term effect on doing a range charge for balancing the battery, or at least the balancing made less than 1km of difference in charge level of the 3 charges. :)

This will be interesting to track, for sure. I'll be a good test case for Tesla, I believe. I have to Range Charge most days, and I get very close to emptying the battery each time. My range charges have gone up from 432 at the start, to 434, and Now I'm at 435. And at 435, I drive about 1.5 km before it drops down to 434 (when car is battery is warm and the cabin pre-heated).

I'll keep reporting back. Should we start a new thread? I purchased knowing that I needed to do full ranges a lot more than most, and my car meets my needs each and every day!

- - - Updated - - -

This will be interesting to track, for sure. I'll be a good test case for Tesla, I believe. I have to Range Charge most days, and I get very close to emptying the battery each time. My range charges have gone up from 432 at the start, to 434, and Now I'm at 435. And at 435, I drive about 1.5 km before it drops down to 434 (when car is battery is warm and the cabin pre-heated).

I'll keep reporting back. Should we start a new thread? I purchased knowing that I needed to do full ranges a lot more than most, and my car meets my needs each and every day!

435! Wow thats great. Even in this cold?

I wonder what battery version letter you have?