Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Claryville, NY next month.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Soul Surfer

Cancervivor, tech geek & musician
Screen Shot 2022-07-25 at 11.20.13.png

So we have a longer road trip planned for early next month. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I don’t think I have range anxiety, given the extensiveness of the SC network and then there are always other chargers around too.

Our plan is to head out quite early to have a less reliance on AC (read: use less power) and enjoy the fresh air more, even it it adds more drag. I'll post updates along the way, and I'm counting it it being super boring - meaning, uneventful.

Reactions: siamnet
I don't know why your route takes off you off the main highway...oh you're not using Tesla's route planner. I assume there's a reason you're taking that route instead of the "standard" route (which is straight highway with plenty of SC locations) is for the scenery?
The finger lake area is beautiful, if you can, try to stop off in Ithaca, several good breweries and see Cornell University which has some old campus buildings which looks like kinda like like part of Hortwag.

Reactions: SilverGS
View attachment 832551

So we have a longer road trip planned for early next month. I'm actually really looking forward to it. I don’t think I have range anxiety, given the extensiveness of the SC network and then there are always other chargers around too.

Our plan is to head out quite early to have a less reliance on AC (read: use less power) and enjoy the fresh air more, even it it adds more drag. I'll post updates along the way, and I'm counting it it being super boring - meaning, uneventful.
Planning a trip with a Tesla is so uneventful due to the proliferation of chargers, I honestly don't know why threads like this are started in the first place....🤔 .

My car probably has even less range than yours and I don't stress about the range in the slightest.

Planning a trip with a Tesla is so uneventful due to the proliferation of chargers, I honestly don't know why threads like this are started in the first place....🤔 .

My car probably has even less range than yours and I don't stress about the range in the slightest.
Probably looking for cool things to look at along the way. Tesla handles the route, but it can’t always pick out picnic spots. 🤣

Probably looking for cool things to look at along the way. Tesla handles the route, but it can’t always pick out picnic spots. 🤣
The Tesla Nav has wapoints functionality, so you don't even need to worry about that either. Add your waypoints (picnic spots, etc) and the Nav will then route you through those as well as the appropriate supercharger locations. It's ridiculously easy.

Answer to your question: Because I can.....

I will be curious to see which one is more efficient/interesting - Tesla or ABRP. Ill be running them both for "Schmitz & Giggles".

Reactions: Vawlkus
Excellent point. Let's make it harder for people looking for useful information to have to wade through great threads like this 👍
Hey Amigo,
You're making this out to be a lot more than it needs to be. I see your point entirely and truthfully (with respect), you don’t need to come into the discussion, swinging. You could just move on, but chose to share an opinion - and that is entirely valid. We can alway agree to disagree.

My point was more about seeing which one works better - Tesla or ABRP. Also, people do seem to share road trips here too. Maybe not in this section.

So let's all play nice 😀

Reactions: Smytty and SilverGS
Hey Amigo,
You're making this out to be a lot more than it needs to be. I see your point entirely and truthfully (with respect), you don’t need to come into the discussion, swinging. You could just move on, but chose to share an opinion - and that is entirely valid. We can alway agree to disagree.

My point was more about seeing which one works better - Tesla or ABRP. Also, people do seem to share road trips here too. Maybe not in this section.

So let's all play nice 😀
Agreed, maybe I did come off a bit harsh. Its just that when I see threads about range anxiety from folks that have had a Tesla for over a year now, I wonder why are such folks still having range anxiety? Anyway, moving on. I'm interested in hearing about the difference in your trip between ABRP and the Tesla app. Not so much about the range anxiety part, but more about the route around your waypoints of interest.

I just upgraded my old 2016 S75D from the original MCU1 to MCU2 and now I have waypoints, so this is now a good comparison as I always had to rely on ABRP on my phone for what you're trying to do.

Reactions: Soul Surfer
Agreed, maybe I did come off a bit harsh. Its just that when I see threads about range anxiety from folks that have had a Tesla for over a year now, I wonder why are such folks still having range anxiety? Anyway, moving on. I'm interested in hearing about the difference in your trip between ABRP and the Tesla app. Not so much about the range anxiety part, but more about the route around your waypoints of interest.

I just upgraded my old 2016 S75D from the original MCU1 to MCU2 and now I have waypoints, so this is now a good comparison as I always had to rely on ABRP on my phone for what you're trying to do.
That is EXACTLY what this is about! Thank you for that. This is my first Tesla and just at 10 months ownership, despite having previously own a 2015 and a 2018 Volt. I used to play the "how long-can-I-go-without-gas" game - sort of like a full EV but not. So that is where my quasi RA comes from 😀.

I trust this technology and LOVE the network of chargers. So in a few weeks, the trip will be updated.

Reactions: SilverGS
Not pictured: about a dozen Superchargers along the route that you'll have the option of using. This is the pleasant reality of having a plethora of options, that due to departing SoC, traffic, weather, and other factors that you won't know the real optimization until you are actually driving the route. If you wanted to give non-Tesla owners the impression that EVs are capable of no-fuss, low-stress road trips, this level of planning isn't the way. A real model for EVs for the masses would not plan anything and leave empty ;) which would also be fine.

• Funny
Not pictured: about a dozen Superchargers along the route that you'll have the option of using. This is the pleasant reality of having a plethora of options, that due to departing SoC, traffic, weather, and other factors that you won't know the real optimization until you are actually driving the route. If you wanted to give non-Tesla owners the impression that EVs are capable of no-fuss, low-stress road trips, this level of planning isn't the way. A real model for EVs for the masses would not plan anything and leave empty ;) which would also be fine.
Actually my RA condition is unfounded. Leaving on empty, whether EV or ICE is "Rush'n Roulette" [sic], at best.

The Tesla Nav has wapoints functionality, so you don't even need to worry about that either. Add your waypoints (picnic spots, etc) and the Nav will then route you through those as well as the appropriate supercharger locations. It's ridiculously easy.
Apparently you missed the joke.

The driver is fully capable of picking out picnic spots.

The car lacks the capability of deciding where a nice spot to stop for sightseeing is.

Hey Teslati,
I wondering what I should use as the best SoC at the Super Chargers. I understand that things get real slow after 80% SoC. Should I consider that or maybe even 90% for this trip coming up real soon? Thank you.
Unless you have time I only charge enough with a 10% buffer to get to the next SC. It's just a waste of time going higher than 80% to 90% unless you're trying to kill time deliberately

I did annoy my family during a drive from Montreal to Montebello by having waypoints along the river to keep me on 'back roads' instead of the highway... waypoints worked well for 'forcing' the route-- but did 'backseat' didn't appreciate the nav indicating '15 min' to what they thought was the final destination

Hey Teslati,
I wondering what I should use as the best SoC at the Super Chargers. I understand that things get real slow after 80% SoC. Should I consider that or maybe even 90% for this trip coming up real soon? Thank you.
You should already know the answer: listen to the car, it will tell you when it is ready to go, based on its optimization to minimize total trip time. Overrule it if you feel strongly about it.. for adverse weather, a desired detour, higher SoC upon arrival, etc.