TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

TORONTO to KINGSTON super charger in my 70D... will a 70D make it there?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by top agent, Jun 17, 2015.

1. top agent

top agent Member

I plan on taking my first trip from TORONTO to MONTREAL in my 70D in August. The distance will be 270 kilometres from my house in Toronto to the KINGSTON supercharger.

Will i be able to make it to the KINGSTON SUPER CHARGER with only a 70D?

2. RiverBrick

RiverBrick Active Member

Yes, people have done this in the Summer in 60s. In the Winter you will need an intermediate stop, though.

3. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

Why not! I made it plenty of times with my S60. If your trip planner tells you you will have more than 7% at the destination, you should be fine. Otherwise, slow down a bit. Sometimes I drive at 120km/h if the weather is really nice.

4. top agent

top agent Member

So if go 110km/hr with AIR conditioning "ON" i should be OKAY right??

thanks for the prompt replies. Really appreciate it.
    I'm getting my 70D next tuesday. I can't wait!!!

5. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

I don't recommend hanging around Kingston though. My memories of that place aren't fond.

6. iKhalid

iKhalid Member

My AC is always ON. And congrats on the 70D :)

7. Kalud

Kalud Member

#7 Kalud, Jun 17, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2015
    The AC uses A LOT LESS power than heating, don't bother turning it off, the heater in the other hand, in difficult situation could make a huge difference. Same applies to the seats heater, even with 0 km left, their power is minimal, keep them on (when its cold...)

Congrats on the new car, you wont regret it!

8. top agent

top agent Member

thanks for the replies.

Btw, my destination is MONTREAL...but why is the MONTREAL super charger only have 2 charging stations, whereas most have 6 or 8???

9. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Will you be able to charge overnight in Montreal? That's the best idea.

10. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Some kind of issue with total power they could draw. Maybe in the future they will take out the hpwcs and add more SCs. I was there this past Sunday late morning and I was the only one there. In my 60 I can go from 20km north of Kingston to Lawrence at 110, and still make it with 30km to spare on a nice day. It's a 250km trip for me with AC on. If its less than 5C out I can't make it, and always top up at the BW in Cobourg. I am REALLY counting on Tesla following through with a Cobourg SC before winter. The Cornwall SC worked beautifully for my Montreal trip last weekend. Congrats on the 70D, great car.

11. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

What if you reduce speed? Where would you stop and charge in-between? What happens when its -13c out? My trip would be 268km :scared:

12. Jaff

Jaff Active Member

Stop for a meal at The Best Western in Cobourg...nice folks, good food, and a Sun Country 80 amp 208v charge station...

13. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

There was some chatter on Plugshare that this is now for hotel guests only, but I suppose a meal in the restaurant would qualify. I've been turned away from at least one station that was marked as "public" so what I do now, if there's any doubt, is call ahead and make sure.

14. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

During the day I've never seen anyone else charging....I plug right in and let the waitress know when I sit down (there is a sign now that says hotel guests only)....the restaurant is usually empty during the day. Good food, chef's signature burger is amazing, but i heard a new menu is coming soon.

15. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

would the Laurence TO supercharger take us to Kingston though on a cold day? 245km

16. wayner

wayner Active Member

Do you have an 85? It could be tight in an 85 and even trickier in lower capacity cars.

17. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Thxs for the reply.
    Only a 70D. So have to stop for sure.

18. Cebe

Cebe Member

I did it with a full car, at -12C, and had about 100km to spare in an 85. But I had it on cruise at 100km/h all the way, and at times slower because of the traffic in the right lane. So, I'm betting you could do it in a 70D, but only if you drive the speed limit or slower...

19. wayner

wayner Active Member

But not in a worst case scenario - I barely made it back to Toronto from Woodstock this past March in a snow/freezing rain storm. I had to keep the front defrosters on high most of the time to keep the windshield from icing over and that sapped a lot of the battery.

20. sagaboy

sagaboy Member

Sure it was the defrosters or the exhilarating P&D on your 85 :biggrin: