Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Mont Tremblant trip

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anybody done the Toronto (area) to Mont Tremblant trip recently during summer?
This is will be my first trip in my brand new new M3LR, I am also new to EV, so I am looking for tips, things to avoid, advice, etc
What is the supercharger situation? On paper it looks good (there are quite a few on the map) - but what is the reality?

Have done it a few times. A couple of times through Montreal and once through Ottawa. Superchargers are reasonably spaced along the route and once you are in Quebec there are almost as many public chargers as trees. Enjoy the drive!
About those public chargers - you need the adapter that came with the mobile charger, right? And how fast are those?

Done this Last year with a m3lr.

Take the Perth route to the Perth supercharger. Not the 401 route to Montreal. The charger is faster and the area is less pack than the normal rest stops.

Bring your 110v charger, if you are going to cottage like me, I just leave it charging in a normal socket at idle.

No need to charge all the way to top before u leave. Just enough to go back to Perth, is a v3 charger there, so should take about 15 mins each way.

Reactions: catman44
This should be no problem for your car. We did this trip from Vaughan to Mont Tremblant around same time last year. I have a 2017 MX 75D, so heaviest car and lowest range of all the Tesla's plus I lugged 4 bikes lol. I took the Peterborough - Perth route as per what the navigation told me to do.

We like to document our family road trips so if you're interested here was our trip to Tremblant (and also Montreal)

Enjoy your trip!

About those public chargers - you need the adapter that came with the mobile charger, right? And how fast are those?
If you are talking about Level 2 public chargers, yes you generally need the adapter. However, there are also 'destination' Level 2 chargers in some locations that use the native Tesla plugs, so no need to use the adapter there. That said, using the Level 2 adapter in the Tesla has never given me an issue.

If you are talking about Level 3 charging, then unless you have a special CCS adapter - not officially supported yet by Tesla in North America, but some Tesla owners have imported the adapters from Tesla Korea - then you are 'limited' to the Tesla Supercharger network. But that is not much of a 'limit'. Tesla Superchargers are excellent and well spaced along that route, though they can sometimes get a bit busy during peak times.

Consider taking the Toronto-Perth route along Highway 7, charging at the Perth Supercharger, then Perth-Tremblant, via Ottawa. That will give you sufficient charge to reach Tremblant with lots to spare. Alternatively you could stop earlier at the Peterborough Supercharger and then top up briefly at the Ottawa (Bell's Corner's) Supercharger before heading on through Ottawa to Tremblant. Other options are along the 401, of course, but that would not be my own first choice.

As for the route from Ottawa, you could cross the King Edward Avenue (Macdonald-Cartier) Bridge in downtown Ottawa to the Quebec side, take Autoroute 50 to Montebello, and then Highway 323 to St. Jovite/Tremblant. Another option is to continue along 417 and then Highway 17 east of Ottawa and take the ferry to the Quebec side at Cumberland or at Clarence and then connect to Autoroute 50 that way. The Cumberland ferry departs very frequently as there are many of them going back and forth. The Clarence ferry is a cute little electric ferry - thematically suitable for a Tesla trip - but there is only one of them so you may have to wait a bit depending on your timing. Both ferries can get busy and thus backed up at peak times during holiday weekends so I would avoid them then, but otherwise are fine.

Relax, enjoy. It is an easy trip, and a nice one.

Last edited:
Reactions: catman44 and xG35
Thank you all for the advice. Such a wonderful community we have here on this forum!

I think I’ll have to make two stops at least though (I personally need those breaks) and since I am coming from Burlington (GTA) I think those can be Bellevile (I know, only 150kW) and probably Nepean Ottawa (250 kW).
I don’t know about crossing Ottawa city - maybe the ferry is a better and more enjoyable option.
We are leaving on a Monday so hopefully not as much traffic.

Reactions: Vawlkus and Shaz
Thank you all for the advice. Such a wonderful community we have here on this forum!

I think I’ll have to make two stops at least though (I personally need those breaks) and since I am coming from Burlington (GTA) I think those can be Bellevile (I know, only 150kW) and probably Nepean Ottawa (250 kW).
I don’t know about crossing Ottawa city - maybe the ferry is a better and more enjoyable option.
We are leaving on a Monday so hopefully not as much traffic.
There is no easy way to completely avoid Ottawa even if you take the ferries. But going through Ottawa is nothing like going through Toronto - much smaller and much less traffic. That said, taking one of the ferries does allow you to avoid having to get off the 417 in downtown Ottawa and navigating through downtown streets to get to the bridge. Even then though, those downtown streets are generally not all that clogged.

Interesting - I see that the recommended route is through Perth, so on Highway 7 (which is mostly one lane per direction). I had assumed that 401 to Brockville, then 416->417 is the better route (a little longer but at higher speed). Probably a matter of traffic? Also a slower speed favours EV consumption, perhaps?

This should be no problem for your car. We did this trip from Vaughan to Mont Tremblant around same time last year. I have a 2017 MX 75D, so heaviest car and lowest range of all the Tesla's plus I lugged 4 bikes lol. I took the Peterborough - Perth route as per what the navigation told me to do.

We like to document our family road trips so if you're interested here was our trip to Tremblant (and also Montreal)

Enjoy your trip!
OMG - Le Sommet de Neiges - I have reservation at the exact same hotel!! :) No overnight destination charging option though, correct?

OMG - Le Sommet de Neiges - I have reservation at the exact same hotel!! :) No overnight destination charging option though, correct?
Haha awesome, yeah we loved it there. And yes there were 4 chargers (or more) from what I remember. It's right at the front of the garage entrance. You will see it to the right of you once you enter. We only used it the night before we departed for Montreal as we wanted 100% charge upon leaving. The other times we just parked at the non charger parking lots in order to not block other EVs from charging. We loved that the hotel gave us passes to use the big gondola for unlimited use.

Have a safe and fun trip!

Haha awesome, yeah we loved it there. And yes there were 4 chargers (or more) from what I remember. It's right at the front of the garage entrance. You will see it to the right of you once you enter. We only used it the night before we departed for Montreal as we wanted 100% charge upon leaving. The other times we just parked at the non charger parking lots in order to not block other EVs from charging. We loved that the hotel gave us passes to use the big gondola for unlimited use.

Have a safe and fun trip!
Here's where the chargers were (there were 4) in the parking garage.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220705-114957_YouTube.jpg
    Screenshot_20220705-114957_YouTube.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 112