Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Toronto to Montreal - how safe is it to rely on Best Western?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@mathur,

I take it that you were fully charged (range charge) when you left Syracuse. If that is the case, on arriving home, your display appears to indicate that the car was willing to let you use between 75kWh and 76kWh before it would show "empty" (15 km of Rated Range is about 3 kWh). I'm still trying to figure out just how many kWh are available for actual usage out of the 85 kWh battery and your post is the best example I have seen to date.

A month or so ago, our Model S recorded that it had used 79.9 kWh on a round trip between Kelowna to Revelstoke. I had added 150km of range in Revelstoke, but I've been wondering if I could have done the trip without the intermediate recharge. Based on your numbers, the answer is "no".

Has anyone been able to measure how many kWh one can use from a 85 kWh battery before you need to get the folding bike out of the frunk?

I asked that same question at Just how much buffer is there? (resolve this 10 kWh discrepancy))

According to my car, only 74-75 kWh is available for me to use.

That second photo, btw, is the result of an Ottawa (west end) to Toronto (Tesla service centre) drive. 400 km (almost exactly), 67.3 kWh, yet only 40 km (about 8 kWh at "rated") showing as remaining.

You need a safety reserve. Suggest reading my blog post The Rules of Model S Road Tripping

Also the speed limit on the 401 is a little higher than ideal; you'd have to draft trucks to get 420 km even though it is summer conditions.

What I'm suggesting is that there are several CS-90's along your route, and that you stop at the first convenient location and try to charge. If there's a problem just drive to the next one. Check the Sun Country charging map because it lists ALL of the available high power stations. If you plan for three possible locations then it's extraordinarily unlikely that you'll encounter a problem.

Tesla drove three demo cars Toronto to Ottawa last month on a single charge. By driving carefully (not too fast) they got all three here no problem. If you come to my office in Ottawa I can guarantee our charger will be functional, available, and not blocked. If you're paranoid.
Where is your office in Ottawa?

From Tesla on Lawrence street to our charge station in Ottawa is 386 km if you take Highway 7 the whole way instead of the 401. Shorter and lower speed limits than the 401. That would definitely help.

I have driven Hwy 7 to Ottawa from the NW GTA (400 km) a couple of times once (with a tailwind) I arrived with about 90 km of range, the second time (without a tailwind) I had about 60 to 70 km on arrival. The return trip (against a headwind) required that I slow down below 90 km/hr to make it back with 35 km of range on arrival. The second time, without a headwind but with air conditioning on the whole way, I had about 40 or 50 km on arrival. There is free charging at Ottawa city hall and at Best Western downtown (with paid parking) and at Best Western in the south end. It is an easy trip and a nice drive (less than 5 hours) in warm weather but I wouldn't do it once the weather was seriously cold.

FYI, the free charging at city hall is time limited; I don't recall the number but it's a one or two hour limit. And it's only 30A so you'll not get anywhere near full. You are far better off just going to Best Western.

I definitely wouldn't attempt the Toronto-Ottawa trip non-stop in cold weather, you'll fall far short of your destination!

Reportedly the BW Peterborough doesn't give away free charging anymore unless you're staying there. And unfortunately they don't have a restaurant so you can't pay them for dinner to make it worthwhile for them. In an emergency I'd go to the front desk and offer them $10 to charge.

In the winter I'd recommend going the 401 route and using the BW in Cobourg or Kingston. (Hopefully a Supercharger soon!)

Yeah, I charged at the BW Peterborough a few weeks ago coming back from Race the Runway in Smith's Falls...had to pay a $5 fee...no biggie as I needed a fill charge to get home.

So Doug, tell me about this bowling alley in your building? :wink:

My Unexcellent Adventure

I have travelled from Kanata, on the Western outskirts of Ottawa, to the Lawrence St. supercharger, without stopping to charge, a couple times recently by using Hwy 7 to reduce my distance travelled. Yesterday (Oct. 7) I set off again with my wife and a full load of tires and other gear for our kids in the Hamilton & Waterloo areas. This time, with wet road conditions and extra load, I could see that I would need to charge on the way. We took Hwy 37 to Belleville with the intention to stop at the Best Western in Cobourg. For some reason, the car's 3G connection died and I no longer had maps. I managed to miss Cobourg and, combined with my male stubbornness about where I thought Cobourg was, by the time I stopped and checked on my iPhone, we were quite a ways past it. That was when I made a fateful decision.

I decided that, since I was only about 20 km short of charge, I would press on and charge at one of the many charging stations ahead. I chose the Quality Inn near Oshawa on the Sun Country Highway map, which indicated a CS-90 charger. On my small iPhone display, I didn't realize that the colour of the marker for that charger indicated that it was not yet installed (the blurb associated with it didn't say that). When we got there, the hotel was closed and under renovation. There was no charger in sight. I found a charger through Plugshare at Durham College (rated at 30A, 240V) on the other side of Oshawa. Unfortunately, the car didn't like the wiring and would only charge at 11 km/hr. Waiting 6 minutes for each extra km of range was torture. Needless to say, my wife was not impressed!

I decided that I would only charge barely enough to get to the Best Western in Scarborough that had a CS-90 according to Sun Country Highway. We got there, having just passed 0 km range a couple of km before, only to find a sign on the charger stating that charging was for guests only and had to be enabled at the front desk. I went to the front desk and told the receptionist that we were traveling, were out of charge, and only needed about 20 minutes of charge (the hotel is only about 12 km away from the supercharger). No charging if you aren’t a guest. I asked if I could get 10 minutes of charge. No. There’s more but I need to finish this.

I found chargers at Centennial College on Plugshare but they weren’t finished installation. I called the Lawrence Ave. Tesla center but they only had the information available on Plugshare. I drove to a local GM dealer, sweating on the way. They were very nice and I was able to charge at 15A, 200V. However, after about 45 minutes, the car still wasn’t showing above 0 km range, making me question whether the car was actually charging. I decided to move on to the next charge station closer to the supercharger and resigned myself to calling for a tow if need be. We got to O’Neil Electric Supply without a problem, so obviously the charging had done something, and were very pleased to find a charger putting out 30A at 200V. The staff were very friendly and were surprised to have me show up since the charger had only been installed a week ago. They didn’t know it was on Plugshare. Charged until the car showed 7 km range and went on to the supercharger, which was only 6 km away.

No problems at the supercharger. To get to 20 km range took 2 minutes as opposed to the 2-3 hours we had just spent. Charged to 200km range and no problem to get to Hamilton other than it was now rush hour. My wife did not agree with me that we should look at this as an adventure.

The moral of the story is never pass up charging at the Best Westerns in Kingston and Cobourg. It is also apparent to me that looking for backup chargers on an iPhone when your car battery is low and your wife is cranky is not an ideal situation. It makes a lot more sense to research backup charging solutions at home beforehand. You also can’t rely just on a cursory review of the information on EV charger websites.

The moral of the story is never pass up charging at the Best Westerns in Kingston and Cobourg. It is also apparent to me that looking for backup chargers on an iPhone when your car battery is low and your wife is cranky is not an ideal situation. It makes a lot more sense to research backup charging solutions at home beforehand. You also can’t rely just on a cursory review of the information on EV charger websites.

Oh man, that's quite the experience. I hope you did something super nice for your wife afterwards and were able to laugh it off together. I know my wife wouldn't enjoy the stress of that situation either. Heck, I'd be sweating.

Glad you pulled through. In 10 years we'll be laughing about how this kind of problem used to exist.

Hopefully we can laugh even sooner, when the Kingston supercharger opens.

No problem on the way back. Added 20 km at the Best Western in Cobourg but arrived home with 50 km of buffer. Wife was much happier, but still thinks it's a risky proposition to rely on the Best Westerns.

What I'd like to see in the longer term is something along the lines of Supercharger "Light" in many more places. Maybe a dual station with 400V, 100A DC max on each side. At the Lawrence Ave supercharger, you can get 400V, 360A DC max (if you are near empty) with 6 stations. At the Best Western, I was getting 200V, 70A AC but there is only 1 outlet and we are dependent on the goodwill of management.

Oh man, that's quite the experience. I hope you did something super nice for your wife afterwards and were able to laugh it off together. I know my wife wouldn't enjoy the stress of that situation either. Heck, I'd be sweating.

Glad you pulled through. In 10 years we'll be laughing about how this kind of problem used to exist.

Glad everything worked out KR1...very disappointed to hear about your poor experience at the Scarborough BW...I wonder what kind of deal Sun Country cut with these guys...I attend many new installs of Sun Country...I think we need to get some clarification from Sun Country if some of the BW are not cooperating with the "pay it forward" mantra..

With the recent concern about being able to charge at the Best Western in Cobourg, it looks like my wife was right to predict that we might have problems at other Best Westerns than Scarborough. It looks like everybody should plan to charge in Kingston and not rely on Cobourg. We charged in Cobourg for about 1/2 hour last week and saw the sign saying hotel guests only. The charger was working (it is now apparently not working according to other threads) and some hotel employees saw us but didn't say anything.

I'm really worried that we're now so dependent on the Kingston Best Western for 401 corridor travel. They could easily go the "guest only" route. Also it's a very ICE-ing prone location.

I can understand that they don't want to give out free power without some quid pro quo. But of course if people can't travel to the hotel on electric power, they aren't going to stay in the hotel, either. So while I can understand the reasons, it is a bit counterproductive to cut off people passing through who might stay at the next Best Western (yes they are independent franchise operations but it works both ways).

I've always made a point of having dinner at the hotel when charging. They make money off giving you power, and gives you something to do while you wait.

I've always made a point of having dinner at the hotel when charging. They make money off giving you power, and gives you something to do while you wait.

Same here, I have always either stayed overnight or purchased a meal from there restaurant (except Barrie and Peterborough as those location do not have a restaurant)...these BW stories are upsetting...perhaps Sun Country should be contacting BW's head office looking for clarification...